I recently bought a new blackberry on ebay. I know "buyer beware" but the seller was a store with an excellent rating and satisfaction guarantee so I thought I'd be safe.
    When I tried calling Alltel to activate the phone they said they can't locate the ESN or that it is incorrect. I've also tried contacting the seller with no return.
    Am I screwed here? Do I have to return the phone (if the seller ever calls back)? Is there some way I can find if the phone has a different ESN using its PIN?
    08-06-10 03:34 PM
    Most carriers that program based on ESN (Electronic Serial Number) will only activate devices they have sold themselves and entered the numbers into their database. If they are not willing to add the ESN then yes, you are screwed.
    08-06-10 07:57 PM
    I am looking at a used Storm 2 phone to bridge with my Playbook with a known "bad ESN" with Verizon. I know nothing about how the serial numbers work with the carriers. The seller recommends overseas use, something I plan to do, but I also want to use it in the states. I plan to use the phone on ATT with a GO Phone card, is there anything I can do to clear the ESN?
    07-18-12 01:26 AM
    The ESN doesn't matter if you are using it on AT&T. AT&T uses the IMEI.

Note that you will not get any data features on a BlackBerry on a GoPhone SIM card. Only voice and text will work.
    07-18-12 05:22 AM
    I am hoping to side load bridge for SD access, phone book and a couple of other features that are Playbook specific. I usually have WiFi access for internet and don't use an actual phone often so my ~$10/month Go Phone option has worked well.
    07-18-12 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD