I recently switch from my trusted and beloved palm treo 650 to a 8130 pearl. So for the convert hasn't gone well. This is just one of the many problems that bug me to know end.

I have the MyAlarm program installed. Its a free application that gives you multiple alarms (which should be standard for a phone of this class) After I launch the program it works fine, but after I do a battery pull the program doesn't restart and the alarms dont go off. Now I know this isnt a big deal. Just restart the program. Well every once in a while my phone restarts it self. No clue why and at random times. Last Wed. it restarted sometime in the middle of the night. Lo and behold I was late getting my kids up for school.

I did try the trial version of bbsmart alarm pro and that auto starts after a reset, but I cant force my self to shell out $15 for something that every other piece of crap phone I had, had standard.

Sorry for all the griping but I just not happy with the BB operating system. I love the physical phone itself. Other than the fact I have to pay verizon to use the gps.
    09-19-08 06:08 PM
    you get what you pay for. but if you're that unhappy with the phone, go get a different one. it's not for everybody, and it sounds like it's not for you.
    09-20-08 05:32 PM
    I agree with Oakie. It may not be for you. maybe try and find another application that will work well for you.... As for the OS, what problems you having besides what you mention, which was only applications in the OS....

Also as for GPS that you will have to take up with your carrier, not us.... nor will they do anything about it anyways....
    09-20-08 05:44 PM
    Im sorry I didnt mean to step on anyones toes! I think my problem was that I thought the blackberry was more pda'ish. My problem i guess aren't with the OS but with the applications. I feel that they fall short in someways. Like the alarm clock. The calendar is another. One thing I really like about the treo was you could color code appointments. I had all my kids days off in green, there half days in red, paydays in orange, etc ... All I had to do was open the calendar and see oh theres a green bar and blue bar. No school and a Dr appointment. On the blackberry I have to open the date to see what I have scheduled. Im sure there are programs out there that you can buy to do this, but this was all standard on the palm. Threaded SMS is another but that has been discussed before.

There are more but I'M NOT HERE TO BASH BLACKBERRYS. The blackberry Media stuff and all the instant email, calendar syncing, etc... is far superior to anything i was able to do with palm.

I would take the phone back but my 30 days was up a few weeks ago. Im going try and jump in with both feet but need some help with the adjustment.
    09-20-08 08:23 PM
    VoiDeR - I don't think you are bashing anything. I too have had calendar problems and people think I am being picky, I guess. My husband is a college soccer official. I need the calendar info kept for a year at a time. Mine deletes after 1 week. It would also be nice to color code things too. Red soccer, blue church, green work (when I can find a job), black generic.

~ vndlewis

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-08 08:44 PM
    ...I think my problem was that I thought the blackberry was more pda'ish. My problem i guess aren't with the OS but with the applications. I feel that they fall short in someways. Like the alarm clock. The calendar is another. One thing I really like about the treo was you could color code appointments. I had all my kids days off in green, there half days in red, paydays in orange, etc ...
    Pocket Informant has a "pda'ish" calendar view. It has a limited free trial. Might be worth a look. If you like it, it's $19.95. It was my hand's down favorite windows mobile app, but this is version 1.0 on the blackberry and it shows.
    09-20-08 09:08 PM
    Im sorry I didnt mean to step on anyones toes! I think my problem was that I thought the blackberry was more pda'ish. My problem i guess aren't with the OS but with the applications. I feel that they fall short in someways. Like the alarm clock. The calendar is another. One thing I really like about the treo was you could color code appointments. I had all my kids days off in green, there half days in red, paydays in orange, etc ... All I had to do was open the calendar and see oh theres a green bar and blue bar. No school and a Dr appointment. On the blackberry I have to open the date to see what I have scheduled. Im sure there are programs out there that you can buy to do this, but this was all standard on the palm. Threaded SMS is another but that has been discussed before.

There are more but I'M NOT HERE TO BASH BLACKBERRYS. The blackberry Media stuff and all the instant email, calendar syncing, etc... is far superior to anything i was able to do with palm.

I would take the phone back but my 30 days was up a few weeks ago. Im going try and jump in with both feet but need some help with the adjustment.
    i dont care if you bash on them or praise them in your sleep. i just own a blackberry, not married to it, nor is it my child. nor am i a fanboy... now others on this forum, say a large majority, will call for you head on a stake. (which is pretty sad, IMO)

sorry if i sounded harsh, but i was just being blunt (i'm really good at telling the truth, hence why i'm divorced)... it sounds like the device is not fulfilling your needs, and you should consider another device. if i need a screwdriver and grab a hammer instead, i'm not gonna try to keep using it if it doesnt work. i'll lose the hammer and go get a screwdriver.

realize the blackberry, at its roots, is/was an email device. everything else was an afterthought, so to speak. RIM relies on the developer community to make it more robust, but their tight grip on the OS is a double-edged sword... it makes for the most secure communication device you can get on the open market, but at the cost of quality applications.
    09-20-08 09:51 PM
    There is not gonna be a phone that is gonna do exactly what we want. That does not mean this is not for us. We are just looking for ways to make our lives easier - just like every one else asking questions - hence all the 3rd party apps.

~ vndlewis

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-08 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD