I'd prefer a free one but a pay one with trial (to see if that damn thing works and does what I need) would be great.

I've dl and tried some free ones but I'm guessing I'm not yet familiar enough with the limitations in each to know whether or not they'll work. Out of all the ones I've dl and tried only 2 have worked with my Pearl but they were clunky and ugly and didn't give me more icons on the home screen.

That's what I'm looking for. But an iPod look where it's all icons is not my preference at all. Not keen on the double-dock either. But U or L, a U one would be preferable as there are more icons, are good because they give you one-touch access to more apps but they don't obscure your wallpaper.

Thanks.
    06-03-10 06:27 AM
    Does anyone know of a good U-theme for the Pearl 8230?

I'd consider a shareware one only if a trial can be downloaded and tested (not OTA; I don't have a data plan).

Thanks.
    06-03-10 08:52 PM
    I downloaded a theme called the "Stock L" theme for the Pearl Flip awhile back. The link to it is here. Unfortunately, the links within the forum topic seem to be dead. You might want to contact the theme's creator and ask them about it.
    06-08-10 03:59 PM
    Thanks! I emailed the developer and he said that he was trying to find a place to host these on. But I got the impression that it would take some time.

In the end, I dl the Theme Builder. I'd been stopped before because one page said you had to get and dl about 6 different elements.

Well, with the BB Theme Builder 5, it's one dl (granted, a _huge_ one) but it installed everything incl. the JDE you need, etc., and I was good to go.

I've never worked in anything remotely related to Java so I must admit that I was put off by that. But I took a chance that this newer app would be a one-stop-shop and I'm glad I did.

I had more trouble figuring out how to get my own icons on to the screen but that was just misunderstanding that the Zen theme layout is _limited_. I needed to choose the custom option, not the zen.

Once I did that, then the only other real problems that I ran into that took me quite some more time to figure out were;

- I had to change the hierarchy _FIRST_ of the items to add. Intuitively, adding then trying to delete them didn't work worth beans. But once I changed the order, then when I selected the items to add (that would then become the home screen icons), that solved that problem.

- next thing was that _manually_, for each of these items, I had to untick the "show text" option under the properties for each. Without that, the descriptive text exceeds the boundaries of what the home screen window can display so it was allowing me to create the theme. Took out the descriptive text and the icons are by themselves and then the theme builder could finish building the theme.

I both exported the theme directly to my BB and also saved it as an Desktop Manager thing via the Theme Builder export function.

Not quite as easy as pie but as I've skinned tons of other stuff before, it is a breeze _once_ you've figured out the little quirks. And it is, indeed, completely automated and easy after that!

Good luck.
    06-17-10 06:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD