the other day I was dropping the exhaust on my car getting ready for track night and I was laying on my left side...dunno how long this was going on really but next thing I no I kinda heard a little noise coming from my pocket.......i swear i got air born!!!! my berry, I thought, oh noooooooooo! dreading what i was going to find i pull it outta my pocket and to my dismay I see a decent sized mark on the invisible shield (which by the way I need advise from yall on what to do for the warranty for that) looks like a rock or pebble was pressing against the screen with my full body weight on it BUT upon further inspection there isnt anything at all wrong with the pearl. not a single thing. no discoloration on the screen. It doesnt even feel like the screen budged at all. what are our screens made of and how are they so well supported? I just couldnt believe it. Sturdy little bassturd. I guess the littl pop noise was the berry getting the pebble out of its way

oh and I feel like aside from the curve being even lighter than the pearl its even more sturdy just because it cant get pocket lint and all that just down in between the keys...I have even gone so far as to put my 8120 in a ziplock baggy in my pocket to avoid the crap getting in there!

Yes I am officially an addict and I have only had this thing like 2 weeks. Bad news is I havent gotten the first dropped berry incident out of the way yet, but I have a skin in place for when that finally happens
    11-05-08 07:21 PM
    I've dropped mine several times on concrete. I've had the BSE on it and neither the BSE nor the Pearl was damaged in any way....

Maybe it's made of Kryptonite?!
    11-05-08 07:31 PM
    My wife has dropped her berry on asphalt more than once (ok, once was my fault! Shh!) and aside from some minor scratches the thing's fine. I've dropped mine once and again, just fine. Barely even a scratch. I've had tons of other phones and dropped them all at some point. None of them were quite right after that.. My berry, however.... No problems whatsoever. I love this thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 08:43 AM
    Yep! It's one of, if not THE, best built device I've owned!
    11-07-08 08:48 AM
    Yep I would have to agree. Even with out an otter box they hold up very well. But every device has it's limits. Just some of us haven't got there yet

Blackberries rock!

11-07-08 08:52 AM
    I have a habit of putting my phone in my lap after talking on the phone in my car, and I always forget it's there when I get out, so needless to say, I drop my phone out of the car all the time you'd think i'd learn or something lol good thing their built so well.
    11-07-08 03:12 PM
    Blackberry's are like Chevy's: Like A Rock!!

I've dropped my Pearl at least 100 times, a couple times from 8 feet up and it's still going strong! All I've had to do is repaint it several times to cover up the scratches.

11-07-08 03:22 PM
    You guys must have a special version I don't know about. My Pearl's screen and battery case back both scratch quite easily. If you have to put an otterbox or BSE or invisible shield on it to protect it, then you can't attribute the sturdiness of the Berry itself to the Berry's build quality, but instead to the quality of the Berry shielding product.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Pearl, but I don't think it is particularly rugged a product from the scratch proof aspect of it.

11-07-08 04:36 PM
    yeah I wasnt talking about the scratch resistance just the overall build quality and sturdiness of the phone itself. nothing feels loose or about to break. And my story was a testament to its abilty to win at paper, rock, scissors.....lol
    11-07-08 05:07 PM
    I'd have to agree. When I had my 8320, it took a couple of falls, no problems. The other day my boss drops his 8330 while on a bluetooth call, the back case popped off, but the call was not interrupted. Very tough stuff

11-07-08 05:25 PM
    I agree. I remain pleased with my Curve and its battery.

11-07-08 06:08 PM
    Three words explains the greatness of these things: MADE IN CANADA

11-07-08 06:08 PM
    Careless BB user but I loves muh BB pearl. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking

11-07-08 10:20 PM
    As mentioned in one of my previous posts, I mentioned (to myself) I will never get the Pearl.

I cannot believe that I didn't get this first. I love this phone.

I bought an Otter Box. I was in front of Walmart and dropped my phone . I heard the cracking sound.

It was the Otter Box coming unsnapped, . The rubber casing kept everything from flying across the parking lot; especially the battery cover that likes to act like superman.

I believe that the Otter Box is the best thing that has happened to the Blackberry.

msblueline
    11-08-08 02:17 AM
    As mentioned in one of my previous posts, I mentioned (to myself) I will never get the Pearl.

I cannot believe that I didn't get this first. I love this phone.

I bought an Otter Box. I was in front of Walmart and dropped my phone . I heard the cracking sound.

It was the Otter Box coming unsnapped, . The rubber casing kept everything from flying across the parking lot; especially the battery cover that likes to act like superman.

I believe that the Otter Box is the best thing that has happened to the Blackberry.

msblueline
    The Otterbox is great. It has saved my Pearl and my Curve many times. I'm not graceful. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty d@m clumsy. LOL. The BB's are tough on their own, but the Otterbox makes them impervious to everything, except getting drowned

11-08-08 02:55 AM
    I just have the silicone skin and a screen protector and I'm a bit of a "klutz". My Pearl has held up better than any other phone I've had. I have one pin head sized ding from a drop - that's it.
    11-09-08 01:28 PM
    I dropped mine at a Rise Against concert like 5 days after i get it... I thought it was going to be spread around the entire floor.

Got it back after the concert still intact just with a ton of scratches on the battery case! Talk about a strong phone (lucky me)
    11-10-08 04:58 AM
    I dropped mine at a Rise Against concert like 5 days after i get it... I thought it was going to be spread around the entire floor.

Got it back after the concert still intact just with a ton of scratches on the battery case! Talk about a strong phone (lucky me)
    dam! lucky doesnt justify it.....you sir had gods will on your side.
    11-11-08 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD