What's up guys? I was just wondering how many people there are out there that are OBSESSED with keeping their Pearl COMPLETELY free of dust, smudges and scratches? I've gone through several different carrying pouches and tons of microfiber cloths. Oh yeah, what's with the screen on the Pearl 8130 being super sensitive to dust scratches????? I have a couple of scratches you can only see in the sunlight, but I HATE them. Any ideas on filling them in/removing them?
    05-24-08 09:17 AM
    I jus got a curve for the first time, but I prolly will want to keep cleaning once it starts to get dirty

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-08 09:28 AM
    I have an 8310 and an 8100, and NO! Sorry but it's a phone. There are much more important things to "obsess" over. Buy a BSE. Most of the scratches will vanish and it'll be easier to maintain.
    05-24-08 09:41 AM
    Ill usually wipe dust off in a downward and outward motion with my thumb. I don't care much about the finger smudge but I don't want dust getting under the screen. Ill have to check out the BSE protectors mentioned.

05-24-08 09:55 AM
    Yeah, i agree that there are more important things to obsess about, but I love to keep my shiny new devices.....errr.....shiny and new looking? As for the BSE, I tried putting a Invisible Shield on my last Moto q9c and ended up with a few dust particles under the skin. Besides, the BB screen is beautiful looking and I don't want anything (clear or not) on top of it. I polish it with Novus 1 and it looks pretty amazing. I'm 2 nervous about using Novus 2 on the display, as it is so soft and delicate. I just wanna know why the heck the geniuses at RIM made the plastic act like warm butter!
    05-24-08 12:14 PM
    It's throw away technology these days.

05-24-08 12:17 PM
    Do you also use Novus for the keyboard or just the screen? I'm wondering if I could get away with using generic electronic wipes until I can get some.
    05-24-08 01:32 PM
    Yup, I use Novus 1 to clean and polish the entire phone. It brings out the shine and makes the phone more resistant to smudges .
    05-24-08 03:17 PM
    Get a BSE. No doubt. It made my Pearl even prettier...the colour seemed enhanced with the BSE on it.
    05-24-08 03:59 PM
    Anyone have any suggestions for disinfecting your Pearl?? I think that isoprop. alcohol would be a bit too harsh. Anyone try any electronic antibacterial wipes?
    05-24-08 11:43 PM
    I'm OCD about pretty much everything, but especially my Black Pearl.
    And as well we all should be, because these things aren't exactly cheap, no matter what model you have, right? Did someone really call their Berry a "phone"??? I mean, sure, you can use it to call people...or so I hear...but jeez, that's kind of an insult to the device, haha.
    I give my dark little technological wonder a good "blow" once a week or so with canned air, wipe it down with a tiny little black wool shammy I keep in its own pocket JUST for that purpose MULTIPLE times a day...and I have been taking my trackball out and cleaning it and the tiny rollers about once a month so far. I also use micro-fiber, electronics-specific wipes on the case and keyboard from time to time.
    I plan on my Pearl being in "like new" condition when I "trade it in" for the Bold in December, when my upgrade status is up,(or when the Bold comes out, whichever happens later, I guess).
    It's already over a year old and only ONE scratch...and that was from a drop that couldn't be avoided, which was my motivation to buy an Otterbox last week. The scratch is unidentifiable until you hold it in certain light, so it doesn't bug me too much. I tried using a buffing cloth(for watch faces and jewelry), but it didnt seem to do much but for the scratch...just gave the rest of the screen a blinding gloss finish, haha...so I can't say if anything will get scratches out completely. Good luck, though.
    Last edited by antiandy; 05-25-08 at 12:06 AM.
    05-24-08 11:53 PM
    I knew I wasn't the only obsessed one out there! But Andy I dunno if you can cal it OCD when u only clean it once a week. I'm cleaning mine multiple times a day! As for calling a BB a phone, yeah I agree that it is insulting .
    05-25-08 06:54 AM
    I have a curve 8310. Here is my story: I was at Home depot with my Dad buying a tractor. When I was outside, my bb beeped and I pulled it out. Then I saw it. DUST UNDER MY SCREEN!!!!!!!! So I ran inside and got the screwdriver for opening up my bb. I got home, opened my bb up and put it back together many times, but I could not get all the dust out! So after about a week, I was on a field trip to Washington, D.C. On the way home (a 6 hour bus ride, but with traffic, 9 hours.) I was thinking about my berry. (My parents didn't let me bring him...I mean it. Well I looked at my mp3 player (The day before I left I took off the outer screen because of a big crack that made seeing my songs diffacult) and thought: "This works fine with just a inner screen, how about my berry?" So I got home at 10:30pm and went to bed. The next day, I picked up my berry when it beeped. (Does the beeping ever stop?) I saw the dust and I went over to my desk and took the outer screen off. I got used to the new look and colored black the 3 holes at the top that show the metal of the lcd. Well now any @#*@#* dust that gets on my screen can easily be cleaned off. So yes I would say I'm addicted/obsessed. On another note, if it weren't for bb spell check, no one, including me, could read this story.

Last edited by ecooper11; 05-25-08 at 10:13 AM.
    05-25-08 07:19 AM
    yea i got a fine scratch on my 8130 screen and it is only three weeks old and it has been kelped in a case or a pouch the hold time it made me mad to. i have a Motorola v3c and it has only one scratch on it and it is all most four years old..
    Last edited by jerry12; 05-25-08 at 08:22 AM.
    05-25-08 08:19 AM
    Yeah I just got done cleaning my pearl, and sure enough, I have a couple really light scratches and a couple tiny dots (dust pressed into screen?). Why would RIM make these things like this??? Let's make a $500 PDA that scratches up with the softest material ever..... I'm kinda irritated now.....
    05-25-08 09:29 PM
    yeah my co workers think ive lost it!!
    05-26-08 12:59 AM
    At first I was crazy about cleaning my Pearl, but after a few weeks i started to calm down. Since I have the Verizon, my color is silver and I think that really helps to hide scratches, creating the illusion that it doesnt scratch at all. The dust under the screen, however, is driving me crazy.
    05-26-08 01:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD