Is there a setting as such for air travel? It seems when I hold down the power button to turn the unit off, it never really turns completely off, just goes into standby. I wasn't sure if there was a way to completely shut it down for such occasions.
    06-29-08 12:35 PM
    Manage Connections > Turn All Connections Off
    06-29-08 12:40 PM
    I was on a flight to LA and the flight attendant was really explicit about turning the device off. I was pecking away drafts and she asked me to remove the battery.

I can't wait until the FAA come up with cleaner rulings on this topic and some training.
    06-29-08 01:17 PM
    I was on a flight to LA and the flight attendant was really explicit about turning the device off. I was pecking away drafts and she asked me to remove the battery.

I can't wait until the FAA come up with cleaner rulings on this topic and some training.
    "Off" means physically off for takeoff and landing. Once you reach 10 000 ft, working on your blackberry would normally be permissible with the radio off. I haven't had anybody challenge me on that. If the FA had already announced for electronic devices to be turned off and stowed, and you were still typing, he/she was just going to the next step in asking you to remove the battery. Here is United's policy for reference: United Airlines - Electronic devices

On re-reading, you didn't say you were taking off, so probably you were already above 10 000 ft. In that case, the FA was probably mistaking your blackberry for a cellphone. And that, training might help.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-29-08 at 02:32 PM. Reason: more info after rereading
    06-29-08 02:28 PM

I fly a lot and never had that issue. You just need to turn off all connections to be in airplane mode.
    06-29-08 02:32 PM
    Can I just hold down the power button to achieve the same thing? Also, how do you remove the battery? I removed the back cover but couldn't figure out how to get the battery out and didn't want to damage anything.
    06-29-08 03:21 PM
    Yes, holding down the power button will accomplish the same thing. However, should you wish to use your berry in flight above 10 000 ft, when you turn it on, the radio will be on and you will be violating the regulation. If you turn the connection off, it will stay off through the power cycle.

I don't have your device, so I can't say for sure, but normally you just hook a fingernail under the edge of the battery and pop it out. You'd better master that before you encounter ironman's FA and get busted for refusing to comply with an FA's direction!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-08 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD