Okay, so I have the 8130 from Alltel, and can't find a free AIM service that actually works on my phone.

Any suggestions?
    03-23-08 07:05 PM
    ya i don't think there really is jive talk is the best all in one messenger service but it's not free welcome to cb !!!
    03-23-08 07:07 PM
    JiveTalk is not free but well worth it. $20/$30 one time fee is not bad at all for such a great product.

JiveTalk
    03-24-08 08:33 AM
    Webmessenger works good for the basics and is free, Jivetalk is prettier to use though lol. not sure what the specific differences are other than nice visuals
    03-24-08 09:00 AM
    Welcome to CB. JiveTalk is the best all-in-one application. U can try it free for a month by goin to beejive.com
    Try it and then make ur decision i u wanna buy it, I think u will
    I also bought it and I paid only $24.99 for it. Some1 helped me find a discount coupon for $5.
    03-24-08 09:06 AM
    JiveTalk all the way. Welcome to CrackBerry.
    03-24-08 09:59 AM
    Jive talk might not be free but its worth the 20bucks. get Jive
    03-24-08 10:06 AM
    I have a AIM icon on my 8130, i dont pay anything. Free for me, dont even remember how I got it...sorry
    03-24-08 01:36 PM
    I have AIM on my Verizon pearl too and I pay nothing for it. Guess its included in my data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-08 06:36 PM
    I have AIM on my Verizon pearl too and I pay nothing for it. Guess its included in my data plan.
    You sure? You show your provider in your profile as Verizon. It definitely didn't come on the phone so how did you get it?
    03-24-08 07:32 PM
    ya it wasn't on my tmobile one
    03-24-08 07:34 PM
    I use AIM for AIM, I personally think its a lot better than jivetalk. You can personalize your AIM and perform many more options. I'll try to find the link for it.
    03-25-08 01:08 PM
    here you go
    AIM for BlackBerry smartphones - AOL Mobile

This version is made just for Blackberry. I LOVE it.
    03-25-08 01:10 PM
    Guess that's where I got it. Lol. Can't remember. I also have two others on my pearl. Think one is yahoo messenger. I will check it out.

03-25-08 06:33 PM
    Ok. Just checked. I have an icon and its red. When I click on it it brings up a screen that says, "Mobile IM." Under that are three icons. One is AIM, one is Windows Live and the third is Yahoo messenger.

03-25-08 06:43 PM
    I clicked on "about" and it says "mobile IM version 2.1.3.5. Don't know if that helps.

03-25-08 07:15 PM
    here you go
    AIM for BlackBerry smartphones - AOL Mobile

This version is made just for Blackberry. I LOVE it.
    If I select Verizon, it says it comes on the phones, which it does on the non-BB phones. I tried your provider but I get an error since I'm guessing it might try to redirect to a Sprint Nextel page which is only allowed to be accessed if I am on their network. The others all result in pages that tell you how to access it from your provider.

I'd really be interested if there is a version of AIM for the BB that is downloaded OTA that works on Verizon.
    03-25-08 07:16 PM
    I've been looking for a good AIM client too. Let me tell you, I've tried a few and NONE work as good as Jivetalk! I'm still using the free trial and I know it hurts to pay $30 for it (state employee here, broke as a joke), it's well worth it. I may check into the AIM for BB version since that's the last one that I haven't checked, but then that means that I would have to use Google Talk too.

Also, there's a way to migrate all your AIM contacts into GoogleTalk and let me tell you before you go through that hot mess, it wasn't worth it to me.

I'm not one to brag and recommend software, but Jivetalk is well worth it IMHO.
    03-25-08 10:30 PM
    i have verizon and aim,yahoo and aol all came on my phone.they were also on my other phone before this one and it wasn't a blackberry.
    03-25-08 10:37 PM
    If you have Verizon go to verizonwireless.com and search on mobile IM. I looked in my apps and its called mobile I'm. Vendor is Verizon.

03-25-08 11:10 PM
    For those on Verizon, the folks that indicate they got it from Verizon are referencing the following:

Mobile IM page:
    Verizon Wireless: Mobile IM: Overview

Blackberry download:
    Verizon Wireless

On the Blackberry download page it indicates:
    SMS charges apply for every message sent and received. An unlimited messaging plan is strongly recommended.

Mobile Instant Messaging on BlackBerry gives you access to your AIM, Yahoo! or MSN Live Messenger.

So it's using SMS and on an FAQ page at Answers to FAQs it states (bold by me):
    Will Instant Messages count against my Text messaging bundle?
    Yes. Instant Messages are charged just like Text Messages, so you can use your Text bundle or pay as you go. Instant Messages are not included as IN messages in any Unlimited Messaging bundle.

The above all seems to contradict itself. I think I got a headache. It seems to use text messaging and in 1 place states SMS charges apply and unlimited plan is recommended and then in another it says Instant Message are not included as IN messages or in unlimited messaging.

Anyone else have a headache?
    03-26-08 05:44 AM
    If you have a blackberry/ pda you will NOT be charged SMS charges for using mobile IM. That only applies to standard cell phones that are get it now capable....
    03-26-08 08:55 AM
    I downloaded it and installed it. Seems to be working. This is Verizon's application not an AOL application.

I think other providers have AOL developed apps but I could be wrong.

03-26-08 01:10 PM
    Hmmm. Thanks for clarifying my post GeekNJ. I had all the info there but you put it into something intelligible!

03-26-08 08:59 PM
    aww yeah I just noticed that Verizon users can't get the AIM app from aim.com that I was talking about. That sucks it's a great one too!!
    03-27-08 11:27 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD