Just got my 8220 and after a day it says insert sim card. I tried everything including changing my sim. I finally ended up putting a piece of a business card between the sim and the back of the phone to hold the sim firmly against the contacts and it works fine now. I took it out to see if something might have just been messed up but it says insert sim again. Anybody else having any problems?
    11-03-08 10:00 PM
    Take it back to T-mo. Thats unacceptable.
    11-03-08 10:02 PM
    I agree. Go get a replacement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-08 10:03 PM
    Me too! My phone started acting up today saying SIM CARD ERROR!!! This is unacceptable! Turning off the phone using the power button does not help. However, a battery pull did help for me. This may be because pulling out a battery inadvertently moves the sim card.

Does anyone have issues with doing a battery pull and having the sim card in the way?
    11-04-08 01:40 AM
    I had the same problem when I got mine. I put my old SIM into the phone. I switched to the new SIM that was in the box, and it works.

My guess is the new SIM is slightly thicker so it makes a tighter connection when it's inserted. I'll bet if you put a piece of scotch tape on the back of the SIM and slide it in, it will work.
    11-19-08 10:50 PM
    I have the same problem, I'm on my 3rd phone now still with the sim problem. I wedged in some paper and it worked. I feel like I should go return it again but I bet it will just happen again. I wasted so much time on this stupid defect.
    12-16-08 12:18 PM
    I think this recently started happening to my Flip too, though I'm not entirely certain. At certain places where I use my Flip there is poor signal strength, sometimes it's fine, but sometimes (3 times in the last week) it's been weird. Upon using it in several different programs including the web browser, memos, etc I will return to the home screen to see I'm in SOS and the service message says "SIM Card Error". Can't place a call, send email, or browse the web then. Taking off my protective case, taking the back cover off, jamming a piece of paper in on top of the SIM card (which hardly wants to move to begin with), and then doing a battery pull, when it reboots it's back to being normal and having the usual 2 to 3 bars I'd expect in that area. This is my first T-Mobile phone so my question is; is this a problem with the SIM card connection that I should be concerned enough about to take back to the store for a replacement, or could this be caused in part because of the weaker signal?
    01-12-09 08:08 PM
    Ive had this problem and have solved this...
    I just put a small piece of cardboard type material above the SIM....
    Bin free of this problem since a month nw....
    01-13-09 12:05 AM
    my girlfriends phone is doing the exact same thing wtf this is not acceptable
    03-21-09 01:20 PM
    I did a device switch when this happened as I was within 30 days.

A fix people have found is to place a small piece of paper or business card on top of the sim as you slide it into the phone so that it keeps it tight against the metal contacts.
    03-22-09 02:03 PM
    What I've done in the past when my sim isn't reading is take a pencil eraser and rub it on the contacts of my sim. Then i do the same for the contacts on the actual phone. Hasn't failed me yet. Good luck to all of you though.
    03-27-09 12:17 AM
    I just got my 8220 today called BlackBerry I am so livid about this whole design problem with the sim, for one the placement on the sim slot is free and there is no secure placement you just stick it up in the right hand corner so it could be sliding around.

I got my with T-mobile... it didn't come with a new SIM.
    Also, for some reason it's saying I have ATT as my Network. Is that what could be causing the -Insert Sim Card- ?

And when I go to launch it it has a little black loading square that loads for quite some time sometimes going on and off then it finally loads and brings up my menu with the Insert Sim Card!

Thanks for any feedback and troubleshooting in advance, I would appreciate it! Maybe i need a new SIM!

~joshua
    06-10-09 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD