I've only hade my 8130 for a couple of weeks now and I am just learning to send text messages, but I found out today that there seems to be a 160 space limit on a message??????? There is a #160 on top of the screen and when you hit a key the # goes down each time. Is this normal and can it be changed to be able to make a message longer?????? Or am i doing something wrong?????

Thanks in Advance.
    07-17-08 10:32 PM
    I've only hade my 8130 for a couple of weeks now and I am just learning to send text messages, but I found out today that there seems to be a 160 space limit on a message??????? There is a #160 on top of the screen and when you hit a key the # goes down each time. Is this normal and can it be changed to be able to make a message longer?????? Or am i doing something wrong?????

Thanks in Advance.
    Welcome to CB!!
    Yes, its normal and No, it cant be changed.
    07-17-08 10:59 PM
    Welcome to CB!

You may want to try IM or email.
    07-17-08 11:02 PM
    Thanks --- I'll figure this out sooner or later

Thanks Again
    07-17-08 11:10 PM
    Thanks --- I'll figure this out sooner or later

Thanks Again
    There's nothing to figure out regarding the character limit. That is set by the carrier. SMS= short messages. If you feel that you're going to be sending novels, then email is your friend.
    07-17-08 11:13 PM
    Compose your longer messages as MMS and there isn't a limit.
    07-17-08 11:25 PM
    I think by "figure it out" our newbie friend meant "Blackberry in general". (S)he indicated that the blackberry is just a couple of weeks old!

SMS=Short Message Service, you should just say less or use email!! :-)

Welcome to Crackberry.com, by the way!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-08 11:38 PM
    Compose your longer messages as MMS and there isn't a limit.
    The 8130 doesn't support MMS. Or is that just for the Sprint 8130?
    07-18-08 07:36 AM
    SMS = short message service!!

160 char is the limit for a SMS message! My carrier allows you to exceed 160 chars and it continues into another 'page' of the message (up to 6 pages, or 960 characters). As far as I know, TMobile is the only carrier doing this, because I have seen this same question for all of the other carriers.

Someone correct me if I am wrong and their carrier allows the 'multi-page' texting!
    07-18-08 07:42 AM

160 char is the limit for a SMS message! My carrier allows you to exceed 160 chars and it continues into another 'page' of the message (up to 6 pages, or 960 characters). As far as I know, TMobile is the only carrier doing this, because I have seen this same question for all of the other carriers.

Someone correct me if I am wrong and their carrier allows the 'multi-page' texting!
    Cincinnati Bell also does this I just figured it out the other day, my 15 year old son showed me.
    07-18-08 07:45 AM
    As you guys can see I'm new with the BB but I love it.
    Thanks again for the help
    07-18-08 08:39 AM
    Cincinnati Bell also does this I just figured it out the other day, my 15 year old son showed me.
    That is good to know!!

I do not think ATT, VZW, Sprint or Alltel do this... corrections accepted if I am wrong!!
    07-18-08 08:40 AM
    whenever i wat to text an extended message i use mms. cause you can text up to a thousand chacaters. i love it.
    07-18-08 09:38 AM
    That is good to know!!

I do not think ATT, VZW, Sprint or Alltel do this... corrections accepted if I am wrong!!
    Sprint can receive the multi-page texts, but cannot compose them.

whenever i wat to text an extended message i use mms. cause you can text up to a thousand chacaters. i love it.
    How do you do that with the 8130? I still can't figure it out. Unless it's just the Sprint 8130's that don't do MMS. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by negroberry; 07-18-08 at 09:41 AM.
    07-18-08 09:39 AM
    Yeah I got a 8130 and it does MMS but I got Verizon and I used to have T-Mobile and they do do that more than 1 page of text but Verizon doesn't but I can receive them just fine they show up as 2 texts

07-18-08 11:01 AM

AT&T allows the multipage text option - however as stated earlier, its far easier to send an email when composing "a novel"
    07-18-08 11:08 AM
    I know, on AT&T, when I had my Iphone, you could type the message as long as you wanted. It would just split the text into smaller ones. The best way to avoid this on a BlackBerry is to send via MMS. This limit is removed as MMS File sizes are going to be larger. This makes it a perfect candidate for sending large texts to recepiants who do not have phone capabilities that support e-mail. Make sure they are on a MMS plan though, as MMSes can be somewhat pricey on a per-text level.
    03-29-09 08:32 AM
    The 8130 doesn't support MMS. Or is that just for the Sprint 8130?
    The Sprint 8130 will support MMS after an upgrade to OS 4.5.131.

03-29-09 10:01 AM
    I'm curious as to why American carriers don't support longer/multiple SMS. All UK carriers do as far as I know, you just pay for more than one SMS if you go over 160 characters.
    03-30-09 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD