So like so many people before me, I grabbed 4.5 and well, the new media player layout is much more comfortable, html email is alright too, documents to go is a big plus too. Yet I think there is more... On the downside, my pearl restarts almost daily, no key pressing, just a random reboot, as if I pulled the battery. Maybe that is unrelated to 4.5?
    10-08-08 06:08 AM
    I've gone from 4.3 to 4.5.0.56 to 4.5.0.77 and have never had the phone reboot itself on me. Did this only start happening after going to 4.5?
    10-08-08 08:43 AM
    CONS

4.5 has less media capability than 4.3 ever did.
    No support for multiple video codecs.
    No support for multiple audio codecs.

PROS
    More functionality using the APIs for the devices.
    DocstoGo
    Updated Media Player.

Thats all I could find.
    Its not worth the download for me...

Dm
    10-08-08 08:56 AM
    I don't really notice the media player enhancements as I don't use the media player all that much. I mostly grabbed 4.5 because it allows you to download unsupported attachments and store them on the SDCard. I use a program for geocaching (CacheBerry) that can import in GPX files from the SDCard but because GPX isn't a recognized file type by the BlackBerry I couldn't retrieve those files from my email in 4.3.

The HTML email is also nice as is the fact that the phone will now charge when it's plugged into a USB port even if that computer doesn't have the BB desktop software on it.

The biggest con I've noticed, and this is a strange one, is that the phone no longer works with the USB cable I used to use. I had a small retractable cable that really came in handy. I used it to connect to my laptop anytime I wanted to use the SDCard as a memory stick or the phone as a modem. It worked great with the 4.3 OS, but not at all with 4.5. I actually first noticed it when I was loading 4.5. I started the process and when it got to the point that the phone rebooted, it would never connect. If I followed the instructions for recovering a bricked device and went back to 4.3 it worked fine, but every time I tried to install 4.5 it failed. I tried on another day on a whim and happened to not have the cable I normally used handy so I grabed a different one. I hadn't even put the two together until days later when I started making the connection that my preferred retractable cable didn't seem to work since I updated the OS. The phone will still charge through that cable, it just won't work to mount the SDCard or as a modem.
    10-08-08 09:21 AM
    I've gone from 4.3 to 4.5.0.56 to 4.5.0.77 and have never had the phone reboot itself on me. Did this only start happening after going to 4.5?

Same here. add BIG plus of HTML e-mail capability! Also seems to have better memory management (I started out at 18mb and am holding steady at about 16), and faster browser.

Haven't seen any cons yet. No reboot issue here. I'm digging it.
    10-08-08 09:25 AM
    I went to 4.5.0.77 due to the fact it enabled my MMS which alltel reps as of yesterday still didnt have a date on... but after i installed 4.5.0.77 by cellular south (removing the vendor file) it works perfect..
    10-08-08 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD