I just got my 8130 pearl a couple of days ago and I am still trying to figure a couple of things out. From reading the forums, I understand that having a lot of the file free memory available is the key to making the pearl run faster.

My file free memory has been fluctuating quite a bit. I have only installed 2 applications and all of my music/pictures are stored on my SD card (there might be a few ringtones on the device itself but not much). For example yesterday when I checked the file free it was around 1700000 but then it went down to 0 last night. Then I went onto this forum and freed up some memory using the guide and it went back to 1300000 but then about 2 minutes after that, the memory went right back to 0. Right now it is still saying I have 0 available. I am unsure of where to go from here as I don't know what else to delete.
    08-17-09 05:15 PM
    Make sure to close all applications after using them, i.e., press the BB symbol button and scroll down to "close" or "exit" when in the application. This includes all applications you downloaded, the browser, the music player (if you're using it to listen to music).

I also enable file shredder (Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning > Enable). The icon shows up on your BB main screen and I use it occasionally to clean things up. You have to re-enable file shredder if you pull the battery.

Finally, if you're using the browser, before closing, I clear the browser cache by: BB symbol > Options > Cache Operations > clear everything > close/exit browser using BB symbol button.
    08-17-09 07:15 PM
    sounds like it could potentially be one of those apps you have installed. what 2 apps do you have?

and as sun said (and i think you read in the forum already) make sure and close your programs thru the menu (BB) button. that ate up alot of my memory until i figured out what was doing it.
    08-18-09 10:29 AM
    If you have reported your memory correctly, you have just over 1 Mb of file free space. That is not nearly enough, as you have noted.

The first place to check are your device settings.

Camera / Options. Verify you are saving pictures to your media card.

Media / Options. Set Picture Reserved Memory to 0 Mb.

Media / Options. Set Device Memory Limit to 5 Mb (if you only have 12 Mb, you can upgrade your device OS and get a lot more memory.

Options / Status. Menu / Database sizes. Review the data you have saved.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    08-18-09 10:58 AM
    Wow, freeing up memory was a great topic. Thanks guys! Help out SMOOOTH again!
    08-23-09 11:46 AM
    My file free memory has been fluctuating quite a bit. I have only installed 2 applications and all of my music/pictures are stored on my SD card (there might be a few ringtones on the device itself but not much). For example yesterday when I checked the file free it was around 1700000 but then it went down to 0 last night. Then I went onto this forum and freed up some memory using the guide and it went back to 1300000 but then about 2 minutes after that, the memory went right back to 0. Right now it is still saying I have 0 available. I am unsure of where to go from here as I don't know what else to delete.[/QUOTE]

I have had the same problem with multiple Pearls (8130). The best thing I can tell you is to do a battery pull when your memory starts to get low. You can get a program called Quick Pull that will let you schedule a battery pull daily for about $2 or $3. Be careful when your memory gets too low - anything under 5 is when your Pearl may start deleting e-mail/text messages, etc. to try to recover memory, and that's a serious pain!

I have deleted all applications before and this problem still continues, so it's not applications. The problem limits the number and size of applications I can use. I currently have 2 programs, together they're about 300K total. I think there's a bad batch of Pearls in the world, which sucks since I absolutely LOVE this phone! Good luck!
    08-25-09 02:59 PM
    the file free it was around 1,700,000 but then it went down to 0 last night. Then I went onto this forum and freed up some memory using the guide and it went back to 1,300,000 ...
    I have added the comma seperators for clarity. Your Pearl appears to have only 1.7 Mb of Memory available.

If you have removed the samples, and made the correct device settings, you should have about 10 times that amount of memory.

Can you double check your file free memory?
    08-25-09 03:10 PM
    Is 6,206,114 enough Reed?
    What is a good amount?
    08-25-09 04:21 PM
    yeah mine is around the smame as yours DaBear5 .... so is that a good amount??
    09-13-09 12:51 PM
    I'm trying to keep it over 10,000,000

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-09 04:23 PM
    I'm trying to keep it over 10,000,000
    That would be best. Clear off everything you don't use. I've got quite a few apps on mine, including the biggin', DocsToGo and stay stable at or above 10,000,000. Get much lower, and things get fuzzy. You guys have more to your OS though. Video recording, and WiFi.
    09-13-09 05:49 PM
    Keeping it above 10,000,000 will make it run the best. Some apps will cause that file free to drop to zero which could potentially cause your phone to crash completely. The only program ive found that drops my 8130 to file free 0 is Opera v4.2
    09-16-09 09:16 AM
    Keeping it above 10,000,000 will make it run the best. Some apps will cause that file free to drop to zero which could potentially cause your phone to crash completely. The only program ive found that drops my 8130 to file free 0 is Opera v4.2
    I've never kept OM on my Pearl long enough to know, it just is a PITA on the smaller screen. However, there's a new version released today.

WAP only

By the way, that has tabbed browsing.

The Keeper of Useless Knowledge
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 09-16-09 at 09:26 AM.
    09-16-09 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD