02-14-09 01:49 PM
40 12
tools
    ok so i have been through 3 att blackberry pink pearl 8110's. And they all have the same problem...the phone shuts off by itself or it power cycles for NO reason. I am still within warrantee as i only got the phone in october and became a new customer, they offered me 3 replacement phones, moto Q, blackjack 2, and a blackberry curve..i am not interested in any of those. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? can anyone offer me a suggestion on what may be wrong with the phone and how to fix it?

thanks
    Last edited by maddysmomma85; 02-13-09 at 11:04 PM.
    02-13-09 10:41 PM
    anyone?????????????
    02-13-09 10:46 PM
    guess there is no one around.....
    02-13-09 10:55 PM
    There's folks here. Just opened up and looking things over.

What apps were you running on the phones?
    How long was it before the devices started acting up? Do you know what your free memory was when they started acting up? Have you done any battery pulls?

What is it about the Curve you don't like? And which model are they offering?

Just a few questions to try and help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bergerking; 02-14-09 at 12:10 AM.
    02-13-09 11:07 PM
    There's folks here. Just opened up and looking things over.

What apps were you running on the phones?
    How long was it before the devices started acting up? Do you know what your free memory was when they started acting up?

What is it about the Curve you don't like? And which model are they offering?

Just a few questions to try and help.

ok thanks...i dont have any apps on the phone...nothing...i havent added anything to it. it is the way it was when i got it.

the first phone it happened about 3 weeks later

than the 3 refurbs it happens within a few hours....
    i dont know what the free memory was
    and i dont like the curve cuz i think its bulky...i had it previously with tmobile and i didnt like it...i like the pearl cuz its sleeker and lighter.

the curve they are offering is the 8310
    02-13-09 11:13 PM
    anyone else think they can help?
    02-13-09 11:22 PM
    ok my husband said stock flash....i have no internet at all
    02-13-09 11:24 PM
    that's really strange that that's happening... it's never happened to me, at least that horribly. when you take it back to the store what do they tell you?
    02-13-09 11:44 PM
    that's really strange that that's happening... it's never happened to me, at least that horribly. when you take it back to the store what do they tell you?
    thanks for the reply...i call att and they send me a refurb....been through 3 of them already! and they all do the same thing!
    02-14-09 12:13 AM
    Ok, to get file free memory you'll click options, status and read the bytes free. It is odd behavior for the Pearl, but not unheard of.

02-14-09 12:13 AM
    ahhh ok 19065575 free bytes lol
    02-14-09 12:14 AM
    I was editing my earlier post and my wife called, so one of my questions didn't get out til later. Have you done a battery pull for a hard reset at any times, and how far do you run battery down for recharge? Does your pearl do the reset while you are hooked to the charger?

02-14-09 12:19 AM
    what do u mean by a battery pull? when battery is close to dead i charge it. and my phone does the power cycling and power off when not connected to the charger...it could just be laying there and do it...it powers off more than the power cycling.
    02-14-09 12:22 AM
    ahhh ok 19065575 free bytes lol
    Ok, that's pretty decent for a pearl. We just keep whiitling away at the problem. You said they are sending you phones. Have you taken any of them into a corporate store yet?

02-14-09 12:23 AM
    the new phones? never thought of doing that ....everytime they send me a refurb and it doesnt work i send it back...its very frustrating
    02-14-09 12:26 AM
    what do u mean by a battery pull? when battery is close to dead i charge it. and my phone does the power cycling and power off when not connected to the charger...it could just be laying there and do it...it powers off more than the power cycling.
    Bingo, there may lie part of your problem. Bbs like the juice, and they particularly develop problems if you draw the charge down too far. It is best to not let it drop below 15% charge if you can possibly avoid it. A battery pull or hard reset *might* help with this. While device is on, pull the back off and pull the battery out for at least 20 seconds to allow capacitors to discharge and put battery back in and let it reboot.

02-14-09 12:29 AM
    question for you...i read some where that its not normal is the battery back is loose....could that do it? have already replaced the battery and that doesnt work either
    02-14-09 12:29 AM
    Bingo, there may lie part of your problem. Bbs like the juice, and they particularly develop problems if you draw the charge down too far. It is best to not let it drop below 15% charge if you can possibly avoid it. A battery pull or hard reset *might* help with this. While device is on, pull the back off and pull the battery out for at least 20 seconds to allow capacitors to discharge and put battery back in and let it reboot.

hmmmm i will try this right now thanks...i will not know til later on if it made a diff or not...it randomly shuts off or power cycles...their is no schedule for it lol
    02-14-09 12:30 AM
    taking a long time to reboot
    02-14-09 12:34 AM
    Many of the Pearls have a loose back, my wifes' does. I installed a piece of backed trim tape to tighten it up. Works well.

BBs and most modern phones now use a Lithium-Ion battery instead of the older Ni-Cd. The Li-I
    Batteries don't like to be discharged fully, it may cause malfunctions in your device.

02-14-09 12:34 AM
    taking a long time to reboot
    Typical 3-6 mins. I take it you've never done this before?

02-14-09 12:36 AM
    well i have when they sent me the new phones/ and new battery the other day...but on a daily basis nope
    02-14-09 12:37 AM
    Surprisingly enough, most common issues with a BB can be resolved with a simple battery pull. I don't have to do it as often as I did when I had memory hogging apps. But, if say my cursor decides to go awol, I batt pull and resolves the issue. It also helps you regain some lost memory.

02-14-09 12:43 AM
    Surprisingly enough, most common issues with a BB can be resolved with a simple battery pull. I don't have to do it as often as I did when I had memory hogging apps. But, if say my cursor decides to go awol, I batt pull and resolves the issue. It also helps you regain some lost memory.

good to know....i really hope it gets fixed...it is so frustrating ...and annoying
    02-14-09 12:47 AM
    and att isnt much help at all.....
    02-14-09 12:49 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD