Right, so being the fool that I am, last month when given the opportunity of grabbing the 8100, or the 8130, I just thought they were different colours, so stuck with the 8100...

I now realise that they've packed a wee bit more into the later editions of the pearl, and now find myself needing a SatNav system on my phone... It's either that or lugging an overly large TomTom everywhere with me...

Now, I was wondering, is there a way to attach some TomTom software onto my BlackBerry, connect the Pearl with the navigator via bluetooth, and get the map/directions on my phone instead of the actual TomTom handheld?

Any ideas?
    Ollie
    04-19-08 05:43 PM
    No way are you a fool. YOU have a Blackberry and you are welcome here.

I to have an 8100 and can use Google Maps to navigate without a GPS device. It only gets me to within 1700 metres but that's OK.

The next step is to acquire a GPS receiver. I have a Holux receiver and it works very well with the 8100 and Google Maps.

What none of us here have found is a really good, stand-alone (maps on the phone - no server) GPS product - free or otherwise -for any Blackberry.

There are several products that do what you want but they all use your data plan to connect back to their server.

You should look in the CB forum dedicated to GPS here for more information.

I also have a TomTom ONE and I use this for navigation.

If you look at the cost of buying a GPS receiver and buying a server based GPS software solution, a second dedicated box like the TomTom looks quite favourable.

I still keep Google Maps on my phone for the times when I leave the TomTom in the car.
    04-20-08 04:35 AM
    You can get a Bluetooth GPS puck and download BlackBerry Maps. If you need any more info on them contact me:
    [email protected]
    20650E97
    04-20-08 05:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD