Saw this today...not sure if this would be that important for such a device, but okay...

BGR - 9100 802.11n support?
    12-12-09 08:29 PM
    I just read tht and came here to post it. Lol
    that would be cool if they did that in the Essex as well. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-09 08:58 AM
    i heard that wireless N support killed the battery too fast in testing, so they got rid of it.
    12-13-09 05:32 PM
    Is "n" really needed for something like this?

It's not like I'm going to run AutoCAD on my Pearl, loading 30MB drawing files from some server over the wireless...

I mean, "g" is already faster than most internet connections in the first place, and that's the main use of WiFi on these things.

Sure, it would be nice, but if battery power is an issue, I don't need it.
    12-14-09 09:06 AM
    wifi-n??? wow, not even the iPhone or iPod Touch have that, although capable, it's not enabled. it would be a nice addition, but i doubt it'd make it. FM radio on the other hand, would be great!
    12-14-09 04:16 PM
    wifi-n??? wow, not even the iPhone or iPod Touch have that, although capable, it's not enabled. it would be a nice addition, but i doubt it'd make it. FM radio on the other hand, would be great!
    FM is so last century, I think what you wanted to say was HD Radio, now that would be a nice feature to see in a blackberry!
    12-14-09 04:20 PM
    Lol I see a familiar pattern emerging.
    1. 9100 released without major fanfare (possibly with delays)..most people wait for the highly anticipated essex.

2. Essex is released and lacks the wifi-n the 9100 has, but is identical to all other specs. Countless people are collectively saying wtf?

Substitute 9100 for 9000 and essex for 8900...here we go again...

12-14-09 09:29 PM
    gen 3 ipod touches have wireless n
    02-11-10 12:00 AM
    FM is so last century, I think what you wanted to say was HD Radio, now that would be a nice feature to see in a blackberry!
    That is an interesting idea. I searched google shopping for "portable hd radio receivers" and the smallest one (by physical size) that I saw was the ZuneHD. Considering the ZuneHD has all the usual music player functions, as well as WiFi, that could mean that an HD radio tuner doesn't need to be very large physically to receive and interpret the HD signal.

However, since there is already XM/Sirius availability for Blackberry (via WiFi) that doesn't favor the odds of RIM adding an HD radio receiver. I haven't seen a blackberry up to this point that could receive over-the-air AM/FM radio signals, so adding HD radio could potentially be a step in a different direction for RIM.
    02-11-10 05:19 AM
    That is an interesting idea. I searched google shopping for "portable hd radio receivers" and the smallest one (by physical size) that I saw was the ZuneHD. Considering the ZuneHD has all the usual music player functions, as well as WiFi, that could mean that an HD radio tuner doesn't need to be very large physically to receive and interpret the HD signal.

However, since there is already XM/Sirius availability for Blackberry (via WiFi) that doesn't favor the odds of RIM adding an HD radio receiver. I haven't seen a blackberry up to this point that could receive over-the-air AM/FM radio signals, so adding HD radio could potentially be a step in a different direction for RIM.
    I don't think it would be very difficult at all! My old nokia 6260 had an fm radio in it, just needed to plug in a headset to use as the antenna. I rarely needed it, but thought it was brilliant.

With pandora, why use a radio(fm/hd) at all?

02-11-10 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD