These are two major concerns i'm having with a brand new BlackBerry Pearl 8130:

1. I keep on having a delayed exiting screen, almost like it's frozen, as soon as i send a text. and the person is one of my major contacts and, and they respond as soon as i send the text. I have deleted all but three days worth of texts, but it doesn't seem to help.
    how do i fix it?

and 2. I've noticed that i have several applications running in the background, and it seems to be draining my battery. i constantly have to charge it, and i attempt to close them but their still running. how do i close them?
    12-07-08 03:17 PM
    Check your free memory: Options / Status / File Free:

What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. The following procedure, originally written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay will guide you:

How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.

how do i close them?
    Menu > Close/Exit...
    12-07-08 03:27 PM
    ok thanks for the advice on the memory clearing, but the applications that are constantly running arethe call log, browser, home, BB messenger, and messages. i am not able to acces the internet, seeing as i do not have the right data plan, and i rarely use blackberry messenger.

i always try the menu > close/exit but it doesn't seem to work
    12-07-08 03:44 PM
    Those are the core apps. They cannot be closed.
    12-07-08 03:45 PM
    oh well, thanks any ways
    12-07-08 03:47 PM
    As sunkast said, 5 applications will always be running in the background. BB Messenger, Home Screen, Call Log, Browser, and Messages.
    12-08-08 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD