So my Pearl this morning started to drop into 1xev, or 1x...I tried the usual, host routing table, service books, and battery pull.

1. The battery pull helps for a short time. (bbm slows or stops sending)
    2. Sooner or later the data transmission slows and then it drops back to 1xev.
    3. VZW had me do the same I did, and then wiped the device.
    4. After *228 1 or 2, the 1XEV drops to 1xev (never seen that before)

5. So thats my issue, VZW says that wiping is as far as they go, since the phone is out of warranty they want me to buy a new phone at retail.

Why would this SUDDENLY happen? Phone has been working just fine. It's running .138 for over a month with NO issues.

Should I drop down to .77 official VZW ?

Anyone?
    05-26-09 12:25 AM
    if your pearl is out of warranty, it should only be a 50 dollar charge...
    05-26-09 11:45 AM
    if your pearl is out of warranty, it should only be a 50 dollar charge...
    ...assuming the OP has insurance, which sounds like it's not the case.

So what would cause this? Are you in a bad signal area? Seems funky/fishy that if suddenly the device stopped holding a signal, that VZW wouldn't be able to do more.

I don't think dropping to Verizon's version of the OS will help with this. Sounds like a hardware issue to me, not software.
    05-26-09 12:02 PM
    insurance has nothing to do with an out of warranty certified like new exchange.

the device is getting a signal, hence the presence of 1x, its just not getting a data signal from RIM.
    05-26-09 12:04 PM
    Have you tried the *22899 update that is for Blackberries?

Have you tried insisting that Verizon put a tech call into Blackberry and getting you a Blackberry Tech Support case # so that you can call Blackberry directly?

And at least resort, do you have insurance?
    05-28-09 05:32 PM

Have you tried insisting that Verizon put a tech call into Blackberry and getting you a Blackberry Tech Support case # so that you can call Blackberry directly?

*22899? I have never heard of this is it common knowledge?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 05:55 PM
    Yeah I did it for mine on alltel and it helped my signal big time!

05-28-09 06:02 PM
    *22899? I have never heard of this is it common knowledge?
    My hubby told me one time, I never questioned it... I think one of the techs in the store told him this back when he purchased his first BB back in early 08. I can tell you for sure none of them ever told me... So maybe all of them don't know!

Then again, I'm one of those types that likes to figure things out on my own so I try never to call Tech Support unless its a phone emergency, LOL!

But it works!
    05-28-09 06:26 PM

I received a letter in the mail yesterday that said that on June 5 I have to do a programming update on my phone. That update consist of dialing *22896 or I will not be able to communicate with the network until I do. I have read in previous threads where this update is happening in different areas at different times. I am in the Texas panhandle and am on Alltel. This is all part of the Verizon conversion.

Worth a try...Let us know how it goes!

05-28-09 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD