I was looking at some unlocked Perl 8120 on ebay.

I currently have ATT nationwide 450 service on a basic phone (NO data plan). The sim is from Sept 2006 when it was cingular (orange sim 64 K).

Question: So will putting this SIM into a unlocked Pearl 8120 (or 8130) work? (Or do I have to got to ATT to activate. If I do go there, they'll slap me with a data plan and I don't want that. I just want to use the wifi without data plan).

What other unlocked BB phone can I look at? (I want something with wifi without dataplan).

Thx
    Last edited by gcretro; 04-27-11 at 08:53 PM.
    04-27-11 08:48 PM
    AT&T requires data plans for all new smartphone activations, whether one purchases the devices from them or elsewhere. They do IMEI sweeps, and once they discover you are using a smartphone, they add the most expensive data plan automatically. This has been their practice since September 2009. The only people who have not needed a data plan with a smartphone are those who had the smartphone without a data plan prior to September 2009.

T-Mobile does not require data plans for smartphones that are purchased elsewhere. So you could use the device on T-Mobile without a data plan.

The 8130 is a CDMA device, which does not use SIM cards. It cannot be used on AT&T or T-Mobile.
    04-27-11 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD