My s-daughter dropped her pearl more times than I can count, dropped it in the toilet twice and in a sink full of water twice. Each time I was lucky enough to save it. I bought her a storm for her b-day, wiped her info from the pearl and gave it to my nephew. A week later the pearl was dead. Stuck in the constant re-boot. I followed the "nuked blackberry" instructions and could not get it to stop re-booting long enough to complete. I repeated the steps more times than i care to admit. With nothing to loose, i did a search on how to disassemble the device. Finally found a video on youtube, showing the disassembly of the 8100.
    scary stuff, but I jumped right in. Turns out not to be as scary as it looked. Once I had it completely disassembled, I noticed that most of the connectors were either corroded or had rust/water stains. I used a Q-tip and alcohol to clean them, probably not the correct technique. I re-assembled it just enough to see if I had totally killed it. I followed the nuked steps again and low and behold it zipped right through the process. Works better than new and I colored the led under the track ball Hubby & nephew were in awe!!
    08-12-09 10:52 PM
    Oh my Goth! Mine took a little shower the other day when my cat accidentally bumped into my glass of water! I was sure the water/humidity was the source of my problems with it, but now I'm seriously wondering!! Maybe my network is the true culprit!! The timing is just a coincidence I guess...
    Because from what you're saying here, the Pearl can withstand more than a few drops!!
    Awesome!!

Sylvie. =)
    08-12-09 11:06 PM
    It is truely amazing!! She put that phone to the test. It passed with flying colors.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 11:23 PM
    Wow, nice job. I am impressed!
    08-13-09 09:18 AM
    In general people give up on their Berrys way too soon - with a little TLC most of them can make it through just about anything.
    08-13-09 09:40 AM
    LDubs, Thank You!

lieman, you are absolutely right. My hubby was constantly telling me to give up, "its fried". There were several times I almost listened to him. Good thing he was out of town,lol.
    08-13-09 10:00 AM
    That's wicked, my Pearl 8130 survived a good 15 minutes in the washing machine.
    08-13-09 04:14 PM
    Wow! Now I'm just praying the storm proves to be as durable.
    08-13-09 04:36 PM
    I like your name. And no the storm is not as durable. tell her to be careful

get an otterbox
    08-13-09 04:37 PM
    Thanks, I am very proud of my son!

otterbox??? One insurance claim and it's mine! LOL!
    08-13-09 05:02 PM
    08-13-09 05:06 PM
    looking at it now, thanks!
    08-13-09 05:13 PM
    i dropped my 8130 in a cup of coke at a party one time. i thought it was dunzo like the million razrs i went through. i fished it out and the screen was white and none of the buttons worked. i took the battery out and let it dry out for a day and it was like new! it would randomly turn off by itself and half the keyboard would stay lit up but it worked!
    now i know next time if that happens (hopefully it wont) i'll be able to take it apart and clean it... thanks USMC-SRT-MOM!
    08-13-09 10:35 PM
    This post got me to take out the Pearl that was dunked in the ocean last year: I took it apart, cleaned and got it mostly working. Unfortunately, some of the keys still do not work, but I was able to delete the information on it. Thanks!
    08-15-09 09:00 PM
    Glad to help. These forums are addictive, now I'm making my own theme! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 09:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD