Whenever I miss a call and the caller leaves a voicemail, I get an SMS message that just says voicemail. Now I think the voicemail icon is enough and find it annoying to have to go and delete the SMS message as well. I havent been able to find an option to turn this off. Does anyone know if it exists?

I had (well still have in case I cant deal w/ Sprint) an 8100 on AT&T and it never did this. Still not too sure about this Pearl and the ONLY reason I got it on Sprint was for the plan $ and the GPS. If I were paying for a specific amount of text messages I would be even more upset.
    04-03-08 11:48 PM
    Press the call button > Press menu > options > call logging > set to none. This may or may not do as you wish. It's the only thing that I can think of that may do what you want.
    04-04-08 12:20 AM
    i had the same question. i don't want the sms message telling me i've got voice mail. i have the icon; that's enough.

changing the call logging to none didn't work. any other suggestions?
    04-05-08 09:29 AM
    I don't think it is an actual SMS message, it just shows up in the message folder-the same way that your missed calls do. If I were to find out that it is counting against my messaging plan I'd be pretty ticked........

I agree that it is a pain to open the message and delete it as well as having the voicemail icon on the screen too!
    04-05-08 09:38 AM
    Maybe it is growing pains, but I absolutely love my 8100 and wasnt frustrated at all w/ it. Excuse me while I rant here, but I am thinking that this phone will have to go back to sprint. I was out of plan w/ them since 2006 and only kept a phone w/ them for the local number as I was going between two states and had a phone for both.

I just may have to suck it up and get the other new pearl on AT&T and see how that works for me. I really wanted GPS and the $99 plan was hard to beat.

W/ this annoyance and the fact that I keep missing calls due to the ring time (which sprint says they cant do anything about) and the short battery life, I am about to lose my mind. This is not the blackberry experience that I am used to. (end rant)

Does anyone w/ the 8120 know if this phone does the voicemail SMS thing as well.
    04-05-08 04:35 PM
    If anyone had Nextel and remembers the old Voicemail counter, then you can make the connection... Nextel used to show alerts UN 3 groups, texts, Voicemail and SMS messages from other sources... Basically its the way to keep the number of voicemails you have on record, and show the date and time of each without calling your vm, as far as I know you cannoty stop it, but I believe the messages delete once you delete the Voicemail itself..0hope that helped!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-08 06:04 PM
    It sounds like a carrier thing.
    04-05-08 06:29 PM
    I have the 8130 and have the same message whenever I get a voicemail. from my understanding is there is no option to change it
    04-06-08 04:24 PM
    Whenever I miss a call and the caller leaves a voicemail, I get an SMS message that just says voicemail. Now I think the voicemail icon is enough and find it annoying to have to go and delete the SMS message as well. I havent been able to find an option to turn this off. Does anyone know if it exists?

I had (well still have in case I cant deal w/ Sprint) an 8100 on AT&T and it never did this. Still not too sure about this Pearl and the ONLY reason I got it on Sprint was for the plan $ and the GPS. If I were paying for a specific amount of text messages I would be even more upset.

Actually sprint can change the ring timer, and the amount of rings. If they refuse to or say they can't then ask for a supervisor. I work as a CS rep for sprint/nextel. I've done this a few times so it's possible.
    04-06-08 04:42 PM
    it still shows up with the call log set to none. well just the vmail anyways
    04-06-08 06:32 PM
    Actually sprint can change the ring timer, and the amount of rings. If they refuse to or say they can't then ask for a supervisor. I work as a CS rep for sprint/nextel. I've done this a few times so it's possible.
    Well I called back and at least got someone that didnt say that there wasnt anything that they could do. This rep said that there have been "Cell Tower problems in my area." She had me dial something on my phone and then turn it off & pull the battery for a bit. Then it took awhile to come back on. She then said that we were going to "reset" my phone. She then called it and it still only rang twice. She said that to give it 24 hours and she would call me back tomorrow to see if it rang longer & if not then to take it to a store. We will see. I will try to post this on the longer ring time thread as well.
    04-07-08 12:21 PM
    I spoke with a tech at Verizon who said there is a way around it. They sent me an email telling me how and it didn't work.
    04-24-08 04:29 PM
    THIS IS COOL: Alltel offers a "Voice-2-Text" feature you can add to your account...I know you don't have Alltel, but just throwin this out there...Whenever someone leaves you a voicemail, this feature automatically converts the message into a sms!! And it's actually very accurate.
    04-24-08 04:45 PM
    Hey all, let me tell you this has been a pet peeve of mine from the beginning. Here is what I have found: NO you can't turn off the SMS message for a VM. Insane I know! I only need one alert! I even called the CRACKBERRY PODCAST hotline & they answered on the show. This is a RIM thing & happens on all carriers.
    Regarding the ring time issue: as several have posted here calling your carrier is a joke. Don't waste your time, the best thing you can do is (in profiles) change (shorten to one or no vibrates) so the phone will ring (make a sound more times). The BB can't vibrate & ring at the same time so it's one or the other. If you want it to ring more before hanging up, shorten the vibrate repetitions & it will ring more.
    04-26-08 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD