i am a BB newbie and need some real step by step directions on how to rip a dvd then convert it and send it to my BB. i have downloaded a few free programs and have been trying research which one i should use. I am getting a 8gb SDHC in the mail tomorrow so i really want to put some movies on it. I have downloaded DVD Shrink3.2, Mediacell BB Video converter, and Blackberry Video Creator from handango. I also have the Roxio which came with my phone. If someone who has had great success at downloading videos and watching them on their pearl please help me in this. I am very excited to try it but i want to do it right and now screw up my phone. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.... Also does anyone know how many movies a 8gb card can hold? Thanks agaon
    01-11-08 10:23 PM
    What I do is this...... and I converted 50 samples to make sure I was getting the best quality for the size of file I wanted.

First off I use Roxio Media Creator to Rip my DvD to an DivX .avi file. You can use any program of your choice. There's a million different programs out there. Clone DvD Mobile is another program you might want to check out also. They have a full working 15 day trial. go to slysoft.com. (There are some free programs out there, not sure how good they are.)

Play with your settings within the converting application until your outcome will be a 700mb .avi movie file. Lowering the sound and video quality settings will shrink the movie.

Now go to Free Videos For Your BlackBerry | RIMarkable | The official, unofficial BlackBerry Weblog and download the free Blackberry Converter. Its a full working program and is offered free to blackberry users. If you go to mediaCell's home page to get the program, you will have to settle for a free trial.

This program is simple to use, Its fast and the quality is great. Now that you have the 700mb .avi file (movie) on your hard drive, you need to use the browse option and browse to that file. After that select the dropdown menu and put the video quality on the best setting. Use the other dropdown and select your phone model. It doesn't have the option for the Pearl 8130. Use the setting for the Pearl 8100. The settings would be exactly the same if they added it. Or so I read. Click on convert and wait 15 minutes. You now have a 160 to 230mb movie.

Next I start my blackberry Desktop Manager. I select the top option. (Media Manager). It will open up Roxio media manager. Its built into the desktop manager. Once that windows shows up I click them all off. I only start and use the Blackberry desktop manager to connect to my phone. Once you have done that go to My Computer, It's just Computer for Vista users and you will see your devices drive. Double click it. Go in and select the Video folder. Open it up and simple drag and drop your new file in it. Wait for transfer and Whammmy! your done.

Oh, make sure your phone is connected and plugged in to your computers USB port with the cable that came with your phone.

If you have any questions or need help please feel free to add me to your yahoo or msn msg. I do video editing with my BB everyday and loving every minute of it =)

[email protected]

UPDATE: Here is a post from a guy named Click whos advice has always been very good. Check this link out. I will be trying it as well, Just bought the program.

videos4blackberry.info | What I Use For Videos... | Purchase, Software, Use, Settings, Link
    Last edited by Wargear; 01-23-08 at 01:49 AM. Reason: new email
    01-12-08 01:44 AM
    Great post John, nicely done.
    01-12-08 08:27 AM
    Very helpful post. I have bookmarked it.

Great job!
    01-12-08 08:33 AM
    Excellent. Just what i was looking for. Now i just need internet at home to get that up and running.....
    01-12-08 08:36 PM
    WOW! I couldn't have said(typed) it any better my self! 5 out of 5 John!!!! Tho one thing I would do is check into bittorrent. Here are a couple good sites. EZTV and Pirate Bay. You should be able to find shows and movies. Then head over to the link that John posted videos4blackberry.info and get that program and you will be good to go. I have got a couple good movies and shows from the videos4blackberry.info. Bla1ze the mod on here takes requests for new stuff all the time and adds them to that site(he is the owner of videos4blackberry.info)! If you need any help just give a yell and Ill help were I can!

Click
    Last edited by Click; 01-12-08 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling issues again!
    01-12-08 08:52 PM
    as for the 8gb part of the question....any idea how many movies i can put on that? Or songs...pictures...?
    01-14-08 07:45 PM
    Also, I am using CLONEDVD and the smallest file i can get is 5371mb. How is it possible to get 700mb file? I am really at a loss. I am trying to do this the easiset and best way possible. I now have DVDShrink 3.2, MediaCell Blackberry Video Converter, Blackberry Video Converter, CloneDVDMobile, Any Video Converter and the Roxio Media Manager. Of these...which is my best bet. Simplest and best way to rip and dl to BB. Thank you in advance for your help. Also...the post above...John, awesome...thank you very much...you laid it out for me. Once i can get it to 700mb i am alll set.
    01-14-08 08:17 PM
    CloneDVD is for copying the whole movie as it is to another disc. You need to use a DvDRipper. Thats a program that will turn DvD movies into a .avi file. DivX, Xvid etc....

Do a search on "Convert DvD to avi. Use the DvD to avi converter and turn it into a 700mb .avi file. Once you have that done. You can now convert that file to a much smaller one. Mediacell works great for all file conversions but you are not able to rip a DvD with it. That is why you need to convert it from DvD to .avi 700mb file first.
    Last edited by Wargear; 01-15-08 at 02:48 PM.
    01-14-08 10:07 PM
    hey john...i finally have some videos on my BB. Kind of a long drawn out process to get them there and really don't even remember how i did it. But...i tried dragging the file i get after the video converter and it never works...I have to go through the DM and compy down to convert to Mpeg4. Is this normal? should I be able to play .avi files on my BB?
    01-22-08 11:50 PM
    also how come one of my movies which is 2:12 long is only 186mb and another movie which is only 1:45 long is 308mb? anyideas?
    01-23-08 12:04 AM
    Your BB won't read .avi What you need to do is use the blackberry converter to convert the avi file.

As for the size difference, look at the size of the file you are converting. If all your .avi files are the same size before converting them with mediacell using the same settings, I would think the end converted files would be about the same size.

I hope I understood your question.
    01-23-08 01:47 AM
    The size aspect i understand... It's the converter part...I guess for some reason my Blackberry Video Converter isn't converting correctly...the end file i get is still an .avi file. Is there something I am missing? Let me double check this when i get home tonight just to make sure of what I am talking about... I have som many programs for converting that i am trying that I sometimes confuse myself as to the steps i am taking. The only thing i am sure off is the only way I have been able to get videos to play on my BB is through the DM copy down. When i go through mass storage and drag drop (post mencoder file) to my video folder the movie or show never plays...but let me try it one more time tonight to make sure of my mistakes.
    01-23-08 09:12 AM
    ok...i just did another try of this and Blackberry Video Converter will only convert to .avi files whcih my BB will not play...What step am i missing to be able to use mass storage and drag drop to my blackberry? Is MPEG4 the only video file 8130 will play?
    01-23-08 08:05 PM
    JP... It will play 3gp also.
    Also, reread the bottom part or War's post #9. He states AFTER to use BB converter, you STILL need to convert the avi into a mp4 or 3gp.
    Last edited by Member_No.1; 01-23-08 at 08:37 PM.
    01-23-08 08:33 PM
    are you using media cell video converter or Seabyrd Blackberry video converter? These are two different programs right? Or at least two completely different looking programs?
    01-23-08 08:51 PM
    JP I use this for everything.
    I got both programs so I can convert music files also.
    You can download a trial of the DVD ripper, but it will only burn a 5 minute movie.
    Ultra DVD Ripper - DVD Ripper Software Ripping DVD to AVI DivX MPEG MP4 iPod PSP 3GP
    Below are snap shots of the settings I use.
    Last edited by Member_No.1; 01-23-08 at 09:04 PM.
    01-23-08 08:58 PM
    are you using media cell video converter or Seabyrd Blackberry video converter? These are two different programs right? Or at least two completely different looking programs?
    Yea, use mediacell. No idea what the other one is. I also see a new way to do it posted here now. Might wanna check it out.
    01-24-08 12:14 AM
    Number 1 and Wargear...I believe i see the light...thank you very much for your advice and patience. Much appreciated!!!
    01-24-08 08:01 AM
    Does anyone have the link to the Black Berry Converter on the Rimarkable site. I just can't find it.
    01-25-08 07:40 PM
    Does anyone have the link to the Black Berry Converter on the Rimarkable site. I just can't find it.
    Try this link November 19th, 2007 | RIMarkable | The official, unofficial BlackBerry Weblog .
    01-26-08 01:57 PM
    what do you do to get the copyrighted dvd into wargears first step "use Media Creator to RIP my dvd"? do I have to decrypt it? im trying with DVD Decrypter...it saves off files where I want them...but they are .ifo? i mean TS file....whats the next step? help please!! frustrating!! Ok...i keep editing this as i figure more out...now i have the movie decrypted & created .VOB file...i'm trying to convert to AVI & have had success with one or two VOB files using SimpleDivx, but i cant select all 6 VOB files & convert to AVI...anyone having this problem?
    Last edited by jbolling; 03-06-08 at 09:15 PM. Reason: got more info
    03-06-08 04:40 PM
    gotta try this out. thanks guys
    03-11-08 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD