I know I've seen this in a few posts about people's 8130's not ringing but vibrating instead. Can someone confirm that how the 8130 works is that if you set the phone with Normal mode, go into advanced options for Normal, and have the out of holster and in holster settings to be Vibrate + Tone your phone will vibrate and also ring. BUT... How 8130s work is if you have them set for Vibrate and Tone, it will vibrate the phone the number of times you set it to vibrate BEFORE the phone will actually start to ring? This seems to my experience so far that the phone will not start ringing until it's done vibrating the amount of times you've set it too. Also, what is the Out of Holster and In Holster setting and how does the phone recognize if it's holstered or not? I'm used to my previous nonBB cell phones ringing and vibrating at the same time. Thanks!
    11-28-07 01:59 PM
    You pretty much answered the first half of your question yourself.

Some devices come/came with holsters/cases. Like with my 7100. Not the case with my Curve though. So if it came with one, when the phone is in it, it will do what you set it to do. Same thing for being out of the holster.
    11-28-07 02:04 PM
    Sweet. I'm learning the 8130's habits well then. :-b Is there a light sensor or something that knows it's in a holster? I see a little slit on the back of it.
    11-28-07 02:34 PM
    It's the magnet in the case that lets the device know...
    11-28-07 02:49 PM
    Sweet. I'm learning the 8130's habits well then. :-b Is there a light sensor or something that knows it's in a holster? I see a little slit on the back of it.
    I think it's a magnet.
    11-28-07 02:49 PM
    I think it's a magnet.
    Ahh, ok. I didn't even bother looking at the case. I opted to get a gel skin right away and put something on the screen.
    11-28-07 02:57 PM
    Ahh, ok. I didn't even bother looking at the case. I opted to get a gel skin right away and put something on the screen.
    Exactly what a lot of us are doing.
    11-28-07 03:38 PM
    The phone is small and the gel skins give it nice grip. How people attach phones to their belts like gun holsters is so not me. When you work in NYC and ride the subways, you don't really want to wear them that way either with all the people gettin mugged and having their smartphones and Ipods stolen.
    11-28-07 03:41 PM
    I am not particulally happy with the fact that the phone vibrates before it rings. One of the coolest features for me is the vibe/ring...but unforutnally the BB folks couldnt figure out how to rub their heads and tap their bellys at the same time.

btw, I did a test and with the bb set to vib 2 times then ring.....it had rang 3 times on the other end before the first vibe on the bb and when the ringer finally went off you were a couple of seconds away from the call going to VM. Just my 2 cents...love the phone but wish it truly had a ring/vibe function.
    11-28-07 03:48 PM
    where did you all find Gel skins for the new 8130? I have seen some for 8100 but I hear things are a little different between the two.
    11-28-07 04:39 PM
    bigdog-

verizon has some gel skins (black, clear and pink)

try blackberrysource.com

they have a ton of other colors (i got blue and orange to go with my vzw black..)

and seidioonline.com sells a holster that works with "skinned" pearls...

-db

the 8100 skins will NOT work the camera is in the wrong place
    11-28-07 04:43 PM
    where did you all find Gel skins for the new 8130? I have seen some for 8100 but I hear things are a little different between the two.
    Bigdog,

Check out this seller on EBay: eBay Store - TalkAccessories: Cases and Holsters, Cases Holsters, Holsters Cases

I ordered a blue and orange one from them and the total was $15.90 with the shipping. I bought a black one from Verizon for $12+ tax! I'm going to order the dark red and green one from them as well for Christmas. :-b ****, I may even order a black one from them and pay like $8 and return the one I got from Verizon. I could have used that extra $4 right now in Dunkin Donuts since they're credit card machine isn't workin. Tell em I sent them your way. Emails back and forth have been very pleasant and the product was shipped out the next day. Unlike my order from Invisible Shield for the screen guard which has to be shipped out and was ordered the same day as the gels. Grrrr.
    11-28-07 06:23 PM
    Appreciate the heads up on the sources. I will take a look. Thx.
    11-28-07 06:26 PM
    I am not particulally happy with the fact that the phone vibrates before it rings.
    Really? It's like faux pas protection, especially in class haha.
    11-28-07 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD