hi..i am a verizon customer and i have the blackberry pearl 8130 (pink) and i got it last month..this is my first billing cycle with the blackberry and i was looking over my bill and i see all these non chargers for " unlimited blackberry " and it has numbers next to the kb....as i was looking over the times and dates i relized a lot of them were from when i was either at work and not on the phone or sleeping...but when i check my phone it says i have no new messgaes or emails...i was wondering if i have something opened that i shouldnt or am i missing something? i have my yahoo email and my blackberry email that is all i set up so far...i still dont know how to use the internet on the phone....any help would be great..thanks guys!
    07-22-08 01:50 PM
    Okay - not in the order you asked, but I'll try to answer your Q's.

If you paid for unlimited (or any) data plan, you already have the internet set up. You should see the browser icon (looks like a globe). Click that and have fun.

Your phone does periodically use data, even if you're not doing anything. Small bits of data transfer back & forth, even if you're not using an application. Essentially, your phone and Verizon are pinging each other. (simplified explanation, but that's how it was explained to a simple guy like me) The only way to shut if off completely is to disable your connection. If you've got the unlimited data plan, any of the data usage you're talking about shouldn't be a problem.

Your blackberry has several applications that are always "open" and running - If you push the "alt" key, then the escape (back arrow next to track ball), you'll see what applications are currently running. [the five always there are browser, bbmessenger, home screen, phone and messages].

If you're new to blackberry, I'd recommend reading the blackberry 101 series here on Crackberry - good information to keep your new pink friend running well and to let you get the maximum use/benefit/fun from it.
    07-22-08 02:55 PM
    Yeah it constantly streams data that is why all of us who have Verizon need a data plan because of that and if we didn't these charges would go over hundreds of dollars

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-08 03:16 PM
    wow that is good information to know bc i have had some large bills recently and i try to monitor my account, so i am glad someone has a resolution to all this and saving my pockets. thanks so much!!!
    07-22-08 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD