I am new to CB, but not new to Blackberries. I have the new 8130 from Verizon Wireless.

At first I didn't like seeing my call log in the message box. I then realized that if I didn't have that option on, I wouldn't even be able to view my call log at all.

Secondly it seemed that SMS and MMS were disappearing, but I didn't know if I had my settings right. I adjusted the settings to save all messages "forever"

I thought I had it all figured out, for the past two days my BB kept all my SMS and MMS, and my call log was well developed.

THEN, today I was going back and forth with a friend in SMS when I received a random SMS from another friend. At that point in time all of my SMS, MMS, and my entire call log disappeared. The only thing left was the one random SMS I got.

Please help, I depend on my history of information for many reasons. I have never had an issue like this with any wireless device ever.

P.S. - PIN me if you�re bored: 317ADB0C
    12-07-07 11:18 AM
    I live in southern Illinois and traveled to Memphis, TN last weekend (~250 miles away). I experienced this same "phenomenon" while in Memphis only. All call logs deleted and SMS/MMS logs would delete very soon after each message was sent. Verizon issue? BB issue?
    12-07-07 11:34 AM
    So I had two people PIN me, one said that Verizon Tech level 3 told him that it was a software issue and they were working on a fix, ETR 01/08. The other person who PINed me said that it started happening shortly after downloading a theme. I have also downloaded a theme, but I feel the problem started prior to the download.
    12-07-07 12:41 PM
    Same thing happened to my vzw pearl. After posting here I was told that the pearl will erase your texts and call log if the memory is low...even if you have it set to "forever". I returned the phone anyway and the new one has not had this problem as of yet.
    12-07-07 12:58 PM
    to check how much memory u have, go to options-->status and see how much free memory u have.
    Mine hovers around 14.2mb. It gets lower if you have apps open, so close the ones that u are not using (5 will always be open though). Do this by clicking shift + ESC to see which apps are open.
    You can also run memory cleaner (options-->security options-->enable cleaning and show on home screen.. run it from the home screen).
    My mem used to dip (i've had the BB about 10 days now), but now that I close all my apps, it's been pretty stable.
    12-07-07 01:22 PM
    I actually talked to verizon last nite about mine deleting stuff. They said its a problem that they are aware of and they are working on a patch for it. Its because the memory is to full. To delete the cache in your web browser, and your old messages. The guy also told me to periodically take your battery out and wait 10 seconds and put it back in, and some how that keeps it from deleting.
    12-07-07 10:01 PM
    After alot of browsing sometimes my BB cant/wont load a page for "server" problems but after i delete the cache memory and all that jazz, it works, usually fine.

Also if the phone is running herky-jerky, i'll do the same thing and for me deleting that internet memory is succesful.
    12-08-07 11:36 AM
    I am new to CB, but not new to Blackberries. I have the new 8130 from Verizon Wireless.

At first I didn't like seeing my call log in the message box. I then realized that if I didn't have that option on, I wouldn't even be able to view my call log at all.

Secondly it seemed that SMS and MMS were disappearing, but I didn't know if I had my settings right. I adjusted the settings to save all messages "forever"

I thought I had it all figured out, for the past two days my BB kept all my SMS and MMS, and my call log was well developed.

THEN, today I was going back and forth with a friend in SMS when I received a random SMS from another friend. At that point in time all of my SMS, MMS, and my entire call log disappeared. The only thing left was the one random SMS I got.

Please help, I depend on my history of information for many reasons. I have never had an issue like this with any wireless device ever.

P.S. - PIN me if you�re bored: 317ADB0C
    Did this ever get rectified?????
    12-14-07 01:56 PM
    I just purchased a new 8130 from Verizon two days ago & am also have the same exact issue. I spoke to a technician at my local Verizon store & they told me that this is happening because of known memory leak issue. He told me to just continue removing my battery daily until a software fix. (of course he didn't give an ETR tho)
    12-14-07 05:26 PM
    Verizon users never fret! Sprint 8130 users are having the same problem but at least your Tech Support know how to help. Sprint is in complete darkness about the memory leak issue.
    12-15-07 11:32 AM
    to check how much memory u have, go to options-->status and see how much free memory u have.
    Mine hovers around 14.2mb. It gets lower if you have apps open, so close the ones that u are not using (5 will always be open though). Do this by clicking shift + ESC to see which apps are open.
    You can also run memory cleaner (options-->security options-->enable cleaning and show on home screen.. run it from the home screen).
    My mem used to dip (i've had the BB about 10 days now), but now that I close all my apps, it's been pretty stable.
    I too have the disappearing call logs (havn't been texting yet).

Strange, but if I tap shift esc, it ignores the shift, and just takes be back. What's up with that?
    01-16-08 10:19 PM
    I too have the disappearing call logs (havn't been texting yet).

Strange, but if I tap shift esc, it ignores the shift, and just takes be back. What's up with that?
    Rob, you need to hold the shift key down while you push escape. Then release escape, still holding shift down, roll trackball.
    01-17-08 04:23 AM
    Just do a battery pull every once in a while and keep an eye on the memory.
    01-17-08 04:54 AM
    I was having the same issue and in trying to find out what was up I found this site. Battery pulls work very well. I also have my phone set to turn off for about an hour or so overnight. Since doing this I haven't had the memory issues and haven't had to pull the battery.
    01-17-08 01:59 PM
    i am on my 3rd pearl and i just got this one the other day...i was sick of all of my calls and messages being deleted and i was also having other issues with it so i recieved a new one...i was told by verizon that it is a software issue that has not been fixed by blackberry yet but should be in the next few months....what a pain in the ***...
    07-13-08 08:17 PM
    Mine was doing the same exact thing! I think I finally got it fixed!!
    07-13-08 09:42 PM
    I don't think they fixed it - I'm still having this problem.
    11-10-08 02:58 PM
    I had been having this problem, about every 3 days all my texts, bb messenger conversations, and call log would dissappear.

It was due to the pearl giving memory priority to the error log, which fills up real quick for some reason.

With my service provider (sprint) the most up to date OS (4.3.0.127) doesn't fix this problem, but there is a workaround.

I've followed this procedure for 2 weeks and haven't lost any more stuff.

1. Once a day, while on the home screen (viewing icons of all your apps) hold the shift key and type LGLG.

The event log (error log) will come up.

2. Press the menu button, and select "clear log"

Scroll down and look at the log if you like before doing this, on mine its about 3 miles long usually.

3. It will ask to verify cleaning, the log. Select "delete".

4. The log will now be empty, and some of your memory will be back.

5. Every 2 days or so, do a battery pull.

Sometimes when you clear the log, the BB wont recognize that some memory has been freed up, but doing the battery pull fixes this.

Hope this works for you. It works for me.
    Edit/Delete Message
    11-10-08 05:34 PM
    I had this problem about a month ago and I called in to verizon and they told me to plug in my blackberry via USB and have my software downloaded to my computer that came with my blackberry pearl and do a software update. Ever since i've done that I have had no problems what so ever. I was so happy because removing the battery all the time and not getting my missed calls or text messages was really frustrating. people were begining to think i was mad at them. lol.
    Last edited by crazyclover28; 11-29-08 at 08:42 PM.
    11-29-08 08:38 PM
    i have had the same problem with my bb pearl, it is very frustrating. I have been told anything from a software issue to a mfg defect. I am on my 3rd bb pearl in less than a year, I am about ready to hang it up. I pay too much each month to have this much frustration with the phone.
    12-01-08 11:14 PM
    i have had the same problem with my bb pearl, it is very frustrating. I have been told anything from a software issue to a mfg defect. I am on my 3rd bb pearl in less than a year, I am about ready to hang it up. I pay too much each month to have this much frustration with the phone.
    This usually is related to a low memory issue, not a software (although newest version of OS manages memory better) nor manufacturing defect. I've had a Pearl for a while and never had this issue. Just takes a little judicious managing. Do a search for "memory optimization" and go through the steps there. Update your OS to 4.5.xx if you feel comfortable doing so (use CrackMem - do a search for that too). Periodically check to see how much free memory you have and do a soft or hard reset if needed. It's pretty straightforward....
    12-03-08 09:02 AM
    This issue has NOTHING to do with memory.. I am a Sprint BB Curve customer since April. Everything was fine for 6 months and then IT happened. I've had 4 different phones within the last two weeks. Both Curves and 8830's. Brand new phones, with nothing downloaded, no pics, no themes, just a contact list... and it still happens. In fact, it happened today and I currently have 38,247,622 bytes of free space! (so much for the 10,000,000 byte theory) I really don't want to get rid of my BB, I love it so much.. but its stuff like this that makes me want to find something else. (although there's nothing else in my opinion). What am I to do???
    12-09-08 11:58 PM
    The patch has already been released. Use your BB Desktop Manager to update your pearl, it fixes the issue.
    12-11-08 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD