I love the site, and I have been looking around for a while. I have only had my blackberry for about 3 weeks, but I am already addicted. However, I do have a couple of questions that I would like to get some input/clarification from you all:

Free Space - I am worried about the amount of free space, lag time, and deleting emails/text messages although I really haven't encountered any problems yet that I know of. I have not installed any programs other than gmail application. This was probably redundant since I already push my gmail email to the BB itself. I do not know how many free MB I have on my phone. When I go to "Status" it says that I have 10,079,878 "File Free". I have 50,462,720 bytes for "File Total". Is that 10MB free? Is that pretty good?

Battery Life - I have to charge my battery almost every day. I definitely can not make it two full days without charging. Is that typical? If I charged my BB overnight, then I would not be able to make it through Sat night without re-charging.

Ring Type - The ringer is not very loud or long. Plus, it alternates between vibrate and ring as opposed to doing both at the same time. I guess this is normal.

Pictures - I have taken 2 pictures on my phone, and no videos. I did purchase a 2GB micro SD card. How do I know if the pictures and/or videos are automatically going to be stored on the SD card and not my hard drive?

Maps - I refuse to subscribe to VZ navigator. If I download Google Maps, will this eliminate the problem. Or is it still useless??

Other - I have not removed the sample pix or the movie or the languages yet since I was afraid that I would mess something up and didn't really know how to do it. I also haven't upgraded to the Alltel OS yet since I was pretty happy with mine from Verizon.

Does anyone have any input or suggestions for me? How much free space do I have? Thank you very much.

RYAN
    01-11-08 02:32 PM
    ok...deep breath..

10 mb is not much...do a battery pull and see what you have then.

i can go two days without a charge...and i am a heavy phone and data user... if you have a lot of programs running and or roaming kills battery quickly

pick a loud ringer from the crackberry ringtone list and load it. it will vibrate first and then ring.,. you can adjust the number of times it vibrates...

open camera>options>store pictures>on media card

google maps is great but off by several thousand meters if you can deal with that its wonderful,,,

do a backup before you delete anything..then if you miss it you can reload it...

definitely remove the sample video...

-db

welcome to the forums
    01-11-08 04:14 PM
    For the volume/vibe - go to profiles, advanced, select one and then you can edit if it vibrates, how loud it is, etc etc.

I think 10 is good - mine is usually at 13 or 14. DL softreset and do that daily [or whenever] and it'll bring the number up.

Personally I love VZnav - been using it since the days of my enV. I think it's worth it, but hey, whatever works.
    01-11-08 05:05 PM
    make sure you run the device setup wizard (its an icon on the device) and it will remove any unused languages. This should free up some space. I have several apps installed on my 8130 and have 17mb free.
    01-11-08 05:12 PM
    yeah 10 isnt bad at all but once you remove that video and a few of the languages you dont use along with another thing or 2 you will have plenty. I think your battery is pretty typical, is it down to like 10% when you say you need to recharge or is it at like 25%
    01-11-08 10:26 PM
    Thanks for the help. I pulled the battery (which I have never done) while the phone was still on and it went from 10 to 17mb free.

I will try to figure out how to delete the video and languages tomorrow while I am at work since that is the computer where I have the desktop application installed.

Thanks for your help.

RYAN
    01-13-08 02:27 PM
    Ry, you don't need DM to delete the video / languages.. if you choose, you can delete right on the device:

Video:
    Media>Videos>Sample Videos>Menu>Delete

Languages:
    Options>Adavanced Options>Applications>highlight language>Menu>Delete

Do a reset/battery pull after these deletes.
    01-13-08 02:37 PM
    "Languages:
    Options>Adavanced Options>Applications>highlight language>Menu>Delete"

Am I correct to assume that I want to delete "Russian Characters & Font Support For Blackberry handhelds" and "Semitic Characters & Font Support for Blackberry Handhelds".

These two options are both listed under Blackberry 4.3 Core Applications Properties.

I just wanted to make sure. I deleted the video. Thanks.

RYAN
    01-14-08 07:56 AM
    Am I correct to assume that I want to delete "Russian Characters & Font Support For Blackberry handhelds" and "Semitic Characters & Font Support for Blackberry Handhelds".
    Yes, correct. Then reset.
    01-14-08 08:16 AM
    Thanks for your help.
    - I removed the two languages like you told me to do through Advanced Options.
    - I don't have any videos or music or extra ring tones on my BB either.
    - The only application that I have ever loaded is Gmail.
    - I pulled the battery while the BB device was powered on.

I still have only 17MB of free space out of 50MB. Now that doesn't really make sense to me since all of my pictures (4 total) are stored on my 2GB micro SD card.

I do have a lot of calendar entries and contacts since when I open desktop manager it says that it is sync'ing 2200 calendar entries and 242 contact entries.

Do you think that is draining all of my memory? Is this normal?

I use my BB primarily to store contact information and calendar info, not multimedia.

RYAN
    01-14-08 09:49 AM
    You're good. 17mb is the running avg for most folks... and is actually quite good for the VZW .60 OS, subsequent OS releases have freed up a bit more memory than .60

You can check how/where your mem is being allocated by:
    Options>Status>Menu>Database Sizes
    01-14-08 11:26 AM
    You are awesome. Thank you!

It looks like the two biggest users are:
    1. Content Store
    2. RMS databases

The other doesn't really concern me since it is:
    - text messages
    - phone logs
    - address book

Thanks again for all of your help.

RYAN
    01-14-08 11:48 AM
    Thanks for those tips... I probably would not have ever found that sample video file hogging up all that space.
    01-14-08 08:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD