I helped a buddy of mine get his Verizon 8130 working on Alltels network. However it still says Verizon on the opening logo screen when it starts up and it says that it is using the Verizon Wireless Network under the Mobile Network settings.

I got almost everything working for him, including internet, pin messaging, texting, receiving and sending calls. But it still doesn't seem to work that great in some things. I have not check email yet so I am not sure if that works yet. And the internet is only on 1X. I can't get EVDO working on it for some reason. It needs the correct PRL cuz right now it has 30031 and it needs 40039 I believe for EVDO.

To get it working I upgraded the firmware on it to the Alltel firmware that was located in the downloads page on the Blackberry website. And then went into the service programming and changed the MDN and MIN to the correct one and changed the BB Reg ID and the SIP User ID/Password to the correct ones. Then the browser and facebook showed up.

My question is there any way to make sure everything is going thru the ALLTEL network cuz when I called in to tech support the guy said some stuff was getting sent to Verizons network. Is there anyway to go into the phones filesystem and change it to go thru Alltels? And is there anyway to get it to say ALLTEL on the opening screen intead of Verizion?

I am assuming if there was a full OS, then we could just install it over the whole phone and it would replace all the Verizon stuff and it would work flawlessly.

Please help me out if anyone has done this before so I can get it fully working for my friend. Thanks.
    04-20-08 05:04 PM
    not sure but maybe deleting the vendor.xml file may help you achieve the desired results?
    04-20-08 05:08 PM
    Hmm, did you try deleting the vendor.xml file?

..oh and why do you want a Verizon 8130 on Alltel?
    04-20-08 10:00 PM
    its for my friend whos on alltel. He got a verizon blackberry pearl from his buddy. So he wants to get it on alltel so he can use it. He is on a data plan and everything but he just wants it to all be functional.

I already installed the current Alltel firmware from the Blackberry site onto the Verizon Pearl and then I just changed all the programming so it would work for Alltel. But it still is not 100% Alltel, I would say its about 80% working.

I want it to have the Alltel software like a regular Alltel Pearl would have. I have an Alltel Pearl and if there was a way to copy whats on that and overwrite those files on the verizon pearl to make it alltel then I would just need to know how. Or if there was a full version of the Alltel software so I could just install it over the whole verizon pearl.
    04-20-08 11:29 PM
    You'll not be able to get rid of the Verizon Logo of the phone at Startup. Also, unless alltell allow you to Import the phone from another Carrier you'll never get the phone to work 100%. This is a software issue and has to be done from inside the Carrier.
    04-21-08 12:19 AM
    You'll not be able to get rid of the Verizon Logo of the phone at Startup. Also, unless alltell allow you to Import the phone from another Carrier you'll never get the phone to work 100%. This is a software issue and has to be done from inside the Carrier.
    How would it be done then? The software could just be edited if its all code and then just replace the Verizon coded Pearl with the alltel code. I have an Alltel Pearl and can look up stuff on it. I just need to know what and how to look up the info to change. If I knew how to read the info from the Alltel Pearl OS and then read the Verizon Pearl OS and change the differences then it should work. If anyone knows please tell me. Thanks.

The guys at Alltel aren't supplied the software for smartphones to upgrade them with. It goes thru the manufacturers website.
    04-21-08 12:07 PM
    i would say sell it here on the forums or even on ebay and then buy an alltel version. there are plenty of people who will buy it even though they are still in contract. and im sure there are enough people out there trying to sell an alltel version.
    04-22-08 11:48 AM
    i dont think my friend has the box or anything for it so I dont know who would want to buy it without the box and stuff. he is using his razr charger on it.
    04-22-08 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD