I have a private number which is necessary as I am a police officer and don't want some people I call while working to have my #. Like most people, my friends/family hate when "private" shows up, so I store their numbers in my phone with *82 before it (it unblocks my number so it shows on their caller ID). I did it with my past phone and had no problems. NOW, when I get a call from somebody saved in my phonebook, it doesn't recognize it and show their name because of the *82. It just shows the number they are calling from. I did this with my last phone (basic flip phone) and the names/numbers would still appear when they call. Any ideas how to rectify (aside from storing each person's contact number a 2nd time without the *82)? Thanks.
    04-05-08 11:22 PM
    I also have a profession where I don't want my clients to know my phone number. What I've done instead of blocking my phone, My phone # is viewable to everyone, but the clients I don't want to see. If it's in my phonebook already, they're all prefaced & saved with *67, if not, then I just remember to type*67 before making the outgoing call.
    04-06-08 12:55 AM
    The reason the name doesn't show is because it thinks *87 is part of the person's phone number. So when that contact calls, the phone sees 123-123-4567, and since the address has *87123-123-4567 it doesn't match.

You might be able to fix this if you add a pause between *87 and the contact's number.

Type *87, then press menu and choose Add Pause, then continue with the contact's phone number.

Please let me know if this works.
    04-06-08 01:20 AM
    Or you can probably add their number in as a different contact like work or something without the *87 so when they call it would show up...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-08 09:11 AM
    Nope, the pause didn't work. Thanks for the info though! Looks like I'll have to add a 2nd number under everyone's name.
    04-06-08 12:58 PM
    Easiest way to do that would probably be to copy and paste. Just highlight the phone number, menu, copy, go to the new line and menu, paste...
    04-06-08 01:05 PM
    Better yet....I'd make the changes in Outlook...and then sync. Could imagine it taking hours if you did it through your phone!

Just a thought..
    04-06-08 01:11 PM
    Not everyone has BES setup.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-08 01:49 PM
    True, Ywbyun, but good idea nonetheless...
    04-06-08 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD