First - I just got my Tmobile BB 8120 in the mail yesterday. First BB ever.
    Second - I hope this was not posted anywhere else.

I have a quick question about UMA calling.

I have setup the wifi/router already, it connected no problem

My question is, if I do not have the $10 Tmoble@home plan or whatever, when connected to UMA (it show UMA in the upper right hand corner of the screen), does it just use normal plan minutes or is it free minutes (i wouldn't think it would be free minutes, after all Tmobile is in the business of making money)

Or if by not having the plan, even though its saying it is "using" UMA , it really is just using the GSM network.

Thanks for the help and so far this site is awesome, and is perfect for BB virgins
    08-12-08 08:50 PM
    Hi - I am a fairly newbie BB Pearl 8120 tmo owner too....you'll luv it!!!

You have to have the hotspot at home talk forever mobile thing added to be able to make UMA calls that do not count against plan minutes.

If you do not have the plan then the minutes are deducted from your cell minutes.

So I believe you are calling on UMA, and depending on your plan is how it gets deducted. It cost 9.99 a month and I was able to downgrade my plan & never worry about going over in anytime minutes. It's a huge savings for me.

Do you have the 19.99 data and e-mail package? That's really a great deal. I have my stuff set at wifi-preferred.

There's a whole forum on wifi that gives a lot of good info.
    08-12-08 09:39 PM
    You can still be connected to UMA and all of your voice and data is routed through the WiFi, but without the Hotspot@Home Addon the UMA minutes are not free

It is using UMA, not GSM... but those minutes are billed as normal without the addon.
    08-12-08 09:43 PM
    I have the Curve 8320
    and I don't have Hotspot @Home Unlimited ($9.99)
    but UMA works fine.
    It just counts on my minutes. Which are like 2000 anyway. lol
    08-12-08 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD