I got a Blackberry Pearl 8110 for Christmas and have been experiencing severe problems trying to connect to the internet. I think this may be just due to poor network connection in my area as it never goes up to the full 5 bars and it has gprs (in only lower case). I was able to browse the internet very briefly and slowly yesterday, but after removing the battery that is no longer the case. The other thing I am wondering is that I would like to keep my old SIM card, so would that be possible as the Blackberry came with the option of 12 month free internet access (which I would like to take advantage of). Do I need to use the SIM that came with the phone to enable this to work? In the instructions it says to activate the free 12 month access you need to send a text to the number 411. I tried to use this using my old SIM card and the message would not send and said network was out of order. I am not sure if this is because of my poor signal ( although other text will send) or because I am using my old SIM card.

I would appreciate any help asap. I am in the UK.

Many thanks
    12-26-09 09:15 PM
    Sounds like you're set up for data, since you have accessed the web. You're not going to get it unless you see "EDGE" or "GPRS", the later being much slower. I think you need to contact your carrier and talk about signal quality. The SIM wouldn't effect data, just calls and text. As far as 12 months of free data, wish I could get that on this side of the pond.

From all the TBLers, to our CrackBerrian brethren.
    May God bless you and yours during this holiday season.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-09 07:39 AM
    I had exactly the same problem. Send the text and it says do it again in half an hour?

I gave up and phoned the customer services line - 25p cost - but they set it up for me. I then had to power the blackberry down and remove battery and sim card.

30 seconds later put it all back together again and got a rash of messages and the GPRS was in bold.

Then it all worked fine and has been great ever since.
    12-29-09 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD