I've got this issue with Text Messaging... Maybe one of you can help...

So I bought a BB 8110. I brought it home and it worked great.... for a while... Then I found this site and all the neat new software available for it. So what did I do? I started downloading and installing of course. And what do you think happened? I bricked it without delay. So I followed the instructions telling me how to recover a bricked BB - to a "T". And it seemed to work ok. The only problem with that was that text messaging is now bricked, the rest of the phone seemed to work fine - except text messaging, and to be specific, sending text messages. I received them with an issue - but when i sent, the phone didn't give any errors, and AT&T didn't see any issues, but people I was sending to never received the messages, or if they did, it looked like this "@H@e@l@l@o@,@@T@h@e@r@e@!@" (basically 'hello, there' with @'s between ever character, including spaces). So I talked AT&T into giving me a new phone. And I brought it home, and decided that I wanted to try a new theme with this new phone. So I DL'd it, and wouldn't you know it? Just my luck. It bricked the phone again. So I thought, OK, it can't possibly brick another text messaging the way it did before, so of course i followed instructions on how to recover a bricked BB to a T again. And all was well until i tried to send a text message to my buddy on Verizon. He still has not gotten the message, and that was months ago. So after living without text messaging for a while, I've found that i can send to other AT&T users, but a whole **** of a lot of good that does me when I know ONE other person on AT&T, everyone else is on either Sprint or Verizon. And so I tried sending that AT&T buddy a PIN message - to see if that worked. It didn't. Well, I should mention at this point that I do not have internet services turned on, on my account. No I could not afford it - I'm a Soldier and we don't make much money, and to top that off, I pay child support AND spousal support - which is a little more than half of my take-home pay. So yeah, I can't afford that right now. So anyways... No PIN messaging, no text messaging - except to other AT&T buddies. And I'm running 4.3.0.93 - trying to DL 4.5 from Newest 8110 OS: v4.5.0.55 (Multilanguage) but the DL keeps failing. Anyone got some other suggestions?

(I would have linked to the post, but " The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:

1. You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 10 posts." and this is my first post on this forum.)
    08-01-08 08:20 PM
    Hmmm. My first question would be, what exactly are you doing to brick your phone? Simple downloads should not cause such major issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-08 08:24 PM
    Paragraphs please.
    08-01-08 08:31 PM
    Ya that was tough to read

08-01-08 08:42 PM
    Well... To answer jenaywins' question: What I did was follow instructions again. I DL'd the software, (in this case the theme) which came in the form of a zip file. I unzipped that file and took the remaining files, a .cod and a .alx and put them into a folder I created. Then I plugged my BB into the 'puter via usb, followed by the firing up of the DM. Then I went into the software update section, (the name escapes me right now and I can't go and look because the .55 download finally succeeded and it's currently installing onto my BB, I'll keep you posted) and told the DM to update this piece of software for me. It did so, followed by a standard reboot of the BB after installing software. Upon reboot I had a white screen and nothing else. So you tell me what I did wrong.
    Yes, I am sure the software was compatible with the 8110. Although the compatibility list said that it was compatible with 81xx which I presume means 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130 and so on and so forth. The reason I believe that I am able to reasonably make this presumption is on the basis of the origins of the 'xx' at the end of a number. I am more than willing to go into that if necessary, but I believe that that is for another thread in another forum.
    And if you look closely enough, sunkast, there are three paragraphs in my first post. They are simply not indented. I did so in the previous post, however, the forum deleted my spaces. But perhaps you need to return to English class and learn that paragraphs do not need to be indented, nor doubly spaced apart, however, this is not English class, and this is not a forum created to grade other's posts. It is a forum created to help those in need when their BB breaks and they require assistance to get it properly running again. At least this portion of these forums is for this purpose. My post is perfectly clear and understandable. 1 4m n0t 7yp!ng 1!k3 7h!5. Chill out and go help someone. (I'm sorry for the flame but this sort of thing really urks me.)
    Last edited by ZiRiS; 08-01-08 at 08:56 PM.
    08-01-08 08:54 PM
    Really, it's not that bad, guys. It's just a little longer than the average post. I had a lot of information I wanted to put out there.
    08-01-08 08:58 PM
    Sorry it was just hard to read on my bb. You might want to wipe the handheld and then re load the os

08-01-08 08:59 PM
    {sigh} If you actually read the 2nd post, you would have seen that I was upgrading to .55, which is now complete. And I am still getting @'s between every character to Sprint customers. And yes, it completely wiped the phone before 'upgrading' the software. It even backed it up for me. (how sweet). Any other suggestions? Or maybe I didn't wipe it correctly? link me to a post that tells me how, pls? It would be greatly appreciated. At this point, I am willing to try almost anything. Do I need to take it to the gnomes in asperia and have it delivered to the frodo to dip into the volcano while reciting the words to 'stairway to heaven' and balancing on one toe while dressed in nothing but a necktie? Then have it blessed by a skyclad elven priest? If that is what it takes, I have a full tank of gas and nowhere to be until Monday morning. I'll google directions on that ****aki mushroom! Just say the word.
    08-01-08 09:14 PM
    I don't even know what to say here....

08-01-08 09:21 PM
    i know that there was some existing issues with att customers sending texts to vzw and sprint customers i had a similar problem with tmo and i had to have them change my number because att phones were recognizing my number as a land line
    08-01-08 09:24 PM
    I've got this issue with Text Messaging... Maybe one of you can help...

So I bought a BB 8110. I brought it home and it worked great.... for a while... Then I found this site and all the neat new software available for it. So what did I do? I started downloading and installing of course. And what do you think happened? I bricked it without delay.
    So I followed the instructions telling me how to recover a bricked BB - to a "T". And it seemed to work ok. The only problem with that was that text messaging is now bricked, the rest of the phone seemed to work fine - except text messaging, and to be specific, sending text messages. I received them without an issue - but when i sent, the phone didn't give any errors, and AT&T didn't see any issues, but people I was sending to never received the messages, or if they did, it looked like this "@H@e@l@l@o@,@@T@h@e@r@e@!@" (basically 'hello, there' with @'s between ever character, including spaces).
    So I talked AT&T into giving me a new phone. And I brought it home, and decided that I wanted to try a new theme with this new phone. So I DL'd it, and wouldn't you know it? Just my luck. It bricked the phone again. So I thought, OK, it can't possibly brick another text messaging the way it did before, so of course I followed instructions on how to recover a bricked BB to a 'T' again.
    All was well until i tried to send a text message to my buddy on Verizon. He still has not gotten the message, and that was months ago. So after living without text messaging for a while, I've found that i can send to other AT&T users, but a whole crapload of a lot of good that does me when I know ONE other person on AT&T, everyone else is on either Sprint or Verizon.
    So I tried sending that AT&T buddy a PIN message - to see if that worked. It didn't. Well, I should mention at this point that I do not have internet services turned on, on my account. No I could not afford it - I'm a Soldier and we don't make much money, and to top that off, I pay child support AND spousal support - which is a little more than half of my take-home pay. So yeah, I can't afford that right now.
    So anyways... No PIN messaging, no text messaging - except to other AT&T buddies. And I'm running 4.3.0.93 - trying to DL 4.5 from Newest 8110 OS: v4.5.0.55 (Multilanguage) but the DL keeps failing. Anyone got some other suggestions?

(I would have linked to the post, but " The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:

1. You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 10 posts." and this is my fifth post on this forum.)
    Last edited by ZiRiS; 08-01-08 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Changed 'first' to 'fifth' at end of post
    08-01-08 09:26 PM
    I use the bbdimension zen theme that came with my phone, so I have no personal experience with d/l themes. But I have read a number of posts here where allegedly compatible but poorly designed and implemented themes caused problems.

If you did exactly the same steps the second time as you did the first time, I'm not surprised you got the same result. You should.

If you really want to use a non-bbdimension theme, at least try a different one. It may be that the theme you're trying to d/l is corrupt, or incompatible with your phone in some way the developer is unaware of.
    08-01-08 09:30 PM
    Please press enter.
    08-01-08 09:39 PM
    dang,

sunkast

is

this

what

you

want?

And to JeffH: Well, I used the same procedure on another theme that worked just fine. It installed without issues. I used that same procedure again, and it bricked my phone. Go figure. Now I use BB Dimension L.

After looking through my phone a bit more, after upgrade, it did not wipe it as I had originally thought. Someone link me to the post that tells me how to wipe it first? Please?
    08-01-08 09:50 PM
    Please press enter.
    Giggle.

08-01-08 09:53 PM
    ...And to JeffH: Well, I used the same procedure on another theme that worked just fine. It installed without issues. I used that same procedure again, and it bricked my phone. Go figure. Now I use BB Dimension L.

After looking through my phone a bit more, after upgrade, it did not wipe it as I had originally thought. Someone link me to the post that tells me how to wipe it first? Please?
    Using the same process successfully on another theme would seem to support my theory that the theme is at fault.

Here is the link to the upgrade procedure: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/
    08-01-08 09:56 PM
    dang,

sunkast

is

this

what

you

want?

And to JeffH: Well, I used the same procedure on another theme that worked just fine. It installed without issues. I used that same procedure again, and it bricked my phone. Go figure. Now I use BB Dimension L.

Yes thank you.
    08-01-08 10:01 PM
    Using the same process successfully on another theme would seem to support my theory that the theme is at fault.

Here is the link to the upgrade procedure: wont. let. me. quote. url!
    Thank you! I will try this and get back with you!
    08-01-08 11:06 PM
    JLcmder does not run well on a 64-bit based computer system. AT&T is supposed to have sent me an email with instructions on how to do a 'Master Reset'. When it gets here, I will post it, try it and let you guys know how it went.
    08-01-08 11:25 PM
    (This orginally contained pictures, but since I can't even post url's, I'm not even going to try with pix. So here's the email I got, and the one I'll try. I'll keep you guys posted.)

Perform a Reset for a RIM BlackBerry Pearl 8110
    Last Updated: 06/25/2008

Troubleshooting Steps

SUBJECT:
    Perform a Reset for a RIM BlackBerry Pearl 8110

SYMPTOM:
    Hard Reset
    Soft Reset
    Master Reset
    Wipe Handheld

ADVISORY:
    As a security feature, when a RIM BlackBerry is removed from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the IT Policies are not removed by performing a master rest (handheld wipe). Only the IT/BES Administrator can remove IT Policies. For more information on IT Policies that cannot be removed from the handheld RIM Technical Knowledge Center: KB-04750.

FIX:
    RIM BlackBerry Pearl 8110 Keypad Layout

Prerequisite

IMPORTANT: Verify content protection is disabled before resetting the BlackBerry.

Soft/Hard Reset
    Alternatively press and hold ALT + CAP + Delete to perform a reset.
    NOTE: A soft/hard reset will not result in data loss.

1. Press the release button and slide off the battery cover.

2. Remove and re-insert the battery. Replace the battery cover.
    NOTE: Reinsert the battery so that the BlackBerry logo faces up and the metal contacts on the battery align with the metal contacts on the BlackBerry.

Master Reset (Wipe Handheld)
    WARNING: Proceed with caution. A master reset will result in the loss of ALL user data! It is recommended to perform a backup of the RIM BlackBerry data.

1. Scroll to and select the Settings icon (to select, press the trackball in).
    2. Scroll to and select the Options icon.
    3. Scroll to and select Security Options.

4. Scroll to and select General Settings.

5. Press the Menu key, then select Wipe Handheld.

6. The device is going to confirm that the data will be erased. Select Continue.
    WARNING: A master reset will result in the loss of ALL user data!

7. Enter "blackberry" to confirm handheld wipe.

Master Reset via BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    If the device's keyboard has failed or unable to perform a master reset with the RIM BlackBerry, perform the reset via Application Loader.
    WARNING: Proceed with caution. A master reset will result in the loss of ALL user data! It is recommended to perform a backup of the RIM BlackBerry data.

1. Verify the latest version of Desktop Manager and Handheld software is installed on the user's PC.
    2. If software update is needed, download and install the latest versions of software.
    3. Connect the RIM BlackBerry to the user's PC.
    4. Start the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    5. Click Application Loader.

6. Follow the onscreen prompts until reaching the "Completing the Application Loader Wizard" screen.
    7. Instead of clicking "Finish" click Advanced.
    8. Check both check boxes to "Erase all application data" and "Erase currently installed applications". Click Next.
    9. A status window appears. The RIM BlackBerry is being updated.
    IMPORTANT: Do not disconnect the RIM BlackBerry from the desktop computer until the process is complete.
    10. A confirmation message will appear once the loading process is complete. Click Close.

NOTE:
    If the security lock is enabled and the password is entered incorrectly 10 times, a master reset will occur.

This message, including any offer and attachments, is intended for the named recipient and may contain confidential information. No other person should rely on any offer or information in this message. If you are not the named recipient, please immediately delete this message.
    08-01-08 11:33 PM
    No, it didn't help me, and I'm not so sure it was as thorough as the JL cmder, so I went and turned on data services, yeah I know I can't afford it, but that's not for you to worry about. You let me worry about the bill when it comes.

Anyways. I'll just send everyone MMS's from now on. Thx for your help, guys!
    08-02-08 12:45 AM
    I have a headache now......

*I'm just being a smart**s - forgive me - it's late and I'm bored
    08-02-08 12:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD