I know there are several similar threads out there but I wanted to post the specific details regarding my situation and not hijack anyone else's thread.

How the ish hit the fan:
    -Plugged in my phone to laptop in attempt to tether
    -DM says I have an update available, I think "sure, why not"
    -Half-way through the update it fails, citing "multi-stage load operation error"

Result:
    -seemingly 'bricked' phone, with just an intermittently-flashing red LED

At this point I searched several forums and did some research, and the message I got was that I would have to reload my OS. Saw some information on running JL Cmder, but decided to try the Application Loader router too.

Resolution attempt #1:
    -plugged in phone (without its battery) via USB
    -after repeatedly 'moving' the USB cable in an attempt to coerce the computer to recognize the phone, it finally does
    -in Device Manager I see the phone is detected as "Blackberry Smartphone" or something like that

At this point I see that both the (1) Application Loader accessed directly from my desktop shortcut, as well as the version (2) I initiate via "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader -> loader.exe /nojvm" detect my phone as indicated by "USB/unknown" or something like that.

I decide to attempt the OS reinstall via option (1) as stated above.

-I click Application Loader
    -select "Start" button for "Update Software" [Question: isn't the app loader supposed to detect the available OS upgrade automatically? I have previously downloaded and installed the Rogers 4.5 version onto my computer]
    -select my phone via "USB/unknown"
    -select the 4.2 OS and hit 'update'
    -it runs well for a while, checking for "software updates" and then "removing applications" and then installing some stuff, but upon "attempting to initialize" it errors out with "multi-stage load operation error" again!

I look at my phone, and all of a sudden I now have the 507 error, and my computer keeps telling me "detecting" at the bottom right that it has found new hardware "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2", "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM4)", and "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM5)". Rebooting my computer doesn't stop this nuisance either. The only way seems to be to 'disable' COM4 and COM5 via my device manager. [Question - what's going on here, will I need them enabled to restore my OS?]

Resolution attempt #2:
    -After miraculously getting the phone detected by the computer, I tried "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader -> loader.exe /nojvm" this time. But near the end I got an error message saying it failed to initialize or something like that.

What do I try next? :? Thanks in advance...

Other notes:
    -I made sure vendor.xml was deleted before trying to restore the OS
    -I have also tried running JL CMDer but I think it's pointless since error 507 indicates I don't have an OS, right?
    12-06-08 04:39 PM
    First of all sorry for your situation and the only attempt that I can give you for help is this thread (sorry if it does not help you, all I could think of):
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    12-06-08 05:59 PM
    So I finally got my Pearl up and working again, after almost a week of agony.

Here's what I did.

1) uninstalled DM4.7 (this also fixed the annoying virtual serial port issue)

2) deleted/uninstalled the BB4.2 and BB4.5 versions I had previously installed onto my computer (I wanted a fresh start)

3) downloaded and installed DM4.5, per advice from someone on a different forum

4) installed BB4.5

5) removed the vendor.xml file

6) with my phone disconnected, put in the battery for a split second until the solid red LED showed, then connected the mini-usb cable to my phone and at the same time took the battery back out (this seemed to be the only way to make my PC 'detect' my phone)

7) ran Application Loader, which detected my BB4.5, and updated my phone's OS/software/apps

8) near the end (and I think this was the key step I was missing earlier), when the app loader says something like "connecting to phone" or something like that, I put the battery -back- into the phone

9) this seemed to initiate the installation of the phone's core modules, a 10 minute process or so

10) after that I got the rotating hourglass thing on my phone's screen, and after waiting about 20 minutes or so, VOILA!!

Now I have to go through the painstaking task of re-customizing my phone with themes, wallpapers, and apps, but hey, almost anything is better than a brick/paperweight. Also wonder if I'll stick with my Pearl since my contract is up in 2 months and I'll be eligible for an upgrade then....
    12-08-08 02:36 AM
    can you be more specific on what the app loader says when im suposed to put my battery back in....

and my pc is connected to my BB but the DM wont reconize it ? is this ok
    01-30-09 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD