I returned my 8130 to Verizon after just over a week's worth of use to get a replacement battery; the one that came with the Blackberry wasn't holding its charge. This new battery (only 2 days old, so I'm not 100% sure of this) seems much better.

The manager at the Verizon store told me never to charge the battery unless it was practically discharged ("one bar, or zero"), and never to overcharge it (3 hours max, he said). I questioned him repeatedly: "this sounds like old battery technology", etc., but he was adamant, and said that he wouldn't replace the battery a second time if I 'damaged' it by overcharging or (as he claims I did with the first one after only 4-5 charges) by topping it off when not discharged.

Does anyone know for sure: What's the story on this battery? Is it or isn't it a battery that can tolerate 'overcharging' and topping off? In the past few years, I haven't thought about charging issues with my portable devices: I charge the devices for as long as I like, often overnight, and top off when I think of it. I've tried to find the answer elsewhere on Blackberry forums, and have had no success. Where would a person go to get the definitive word? Quite possibly the folks at Verizon (including the manager of the San Francisco store) don't have a clue.

And if it's true -- if this really is a stone-age battery -- can someone recommend a replacement that won't void my warranty? Or is it a problem with the standard-issue Blackberry travel charger? Thanks.
    Last edited by sparkyguy; 12-28-07 at 10:56 AM.
    12-28-07 10:53 AM
    The batteries have a chip in them that prevents over charging. I always "top" mine off and have good results. So I would say the VZW guy is full of it.
    12-28-07 10:58 AM
    Is there any chance that Verizon would sell phones with a different battery without the chip?

P.S. I *love* this phone. And I never thought I would say or write those words about a phone.
    12-28-07 11:10 AM
    Argh... Once again VZW rep is clueless! As sher said, the battery cannot be overcharged. For more info: Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ
    12-28-07 11:16 AM
    I also top mine off every week day. Sometimes I go 2 days on the weekend when my use is less. It's ******** to expect people to run the battery down like the old days. How would you manage the recharge timing? I also hate clueless technical people.
    12-28-07 11:19 AM
    Argh... Once again VZW rep is clueless! As sher said, the battery cannot be overcharged. For more info: Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ
    Links Not Working BTW

Nd Do All BB's Have This Chip? **8830**
    12-28-07 11:25 AM
    Just clicked your quote, worked fine for me.
    12-28-07 11:31 AM
    GadgetGeek is correct many Verizon reps have no clue about BB. If I'm correct the batt. on a regular cell must be very low before charging that is if you wanna have a long lasting batt. Had issue with batt. not last on razr's, Lg's because I keep topping them off. My Boss and I have never had issues with our BB because we top them off.
    12-28-07 09:52 PM
    I top my battery off and it's just fine. Most of the time my battery drains due to all the applications I have running, constant e-mailing/texting and of course, making phone calls. I have to charge my BB every night, but I'm a-ok with it.
    12-28-07 11:05 PM
    but he was adamant, and said that he wouldn't replace the battery a second time if I 'damaged' it by overcharging or (as he claims I did with the first one after only 4-5 charges) by topping it off when not discharged.

How the heck is he going to know how you charged the battery?

I plug myine in every time I am at my desk and usually every other night. It stays om the charger for 6-8 hours at a time and I don't have an issue. I also have done this with my older Blackberrys and never had an issue.

Bob
    12-29-07 03:13 PM
    he claimed he could tell that i had been overcharging the battery by its appearance -- something about "bumps". i'm beginning to get the feeling that this guy is truly full of it. it's unfortunate, though, that he has all his salespeople saying the same thing about overcharging/topping-off to all customers buying 8130s (i overheard an interaction while i was waiting my turn the day i returned the old battery)
    Last edited by sparkyguy; 12-30-07 at 02:24 PM.
    12-30-07 02:21 PM
    Okay, here's the facts about Li-Ion in general. Read me.
    12-30-07 03:48 PM
    I charge it every night and no problems...... Verizon does not know what they are talking about that is why you come here and ask No worries.
    12-30-07 06:12 PM
    he claimed he could tell that i had been overcharging the battery by its appearance -- something about "bumps". i'm beginning to get the feeling that this guy is truly full of it. it's unfortunate, though, that he has all his salespeople saying the same thing about overcharging/topping-off to all customers buying 8130s (i overheard an interaction while i was waiting my turn the day i returned the old battery)
    Yes, truly unfortunate. If possible, you might consider taking your business/support needs to another VZW store in hopes of a more intelligent staff.
    12-30-07 06:26 PM
    So here's what I've gotten out of all this --

To break in my new battery, it's probably not a bad idea to do 3 or so cycles of fully draining the battery and then charging for a long time (overnight). From there on, topping off regularly isn't bad for the battery -- it might even be good for it.

I like this answer *much* better than the one I got from the VZW store. Thanks everyone.
    12-30-07 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD