I have searched the threads and saw others who have had the same problem I am having. But I have not found the solution yet.

The "copper dome" (the sensor I assume) which is located in the center of the four LEDs (on the main board) and which acts as a "spring" for when you push down on the trackball is gone. I don't know how it came off and I took the phone apart and still cannot find it. Now the trackball is erratic. It scrolls however it wants and selects options by itself and gives me no choice to do so.

I am pretty handy and can do the repair myself but have had problems finding the part. In the threads that I have located on this site that pertains to this problem did recommend some sites for parts. But none have the copper thing listed as a part. Only a new trackball and ring. And a new trackball and ring is what I bought when this first started happening. And that is how I discovered what the problem really was.

So if anyone knows how to repair and where to get this part or whatever it is that I have to do I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thanks!!!!
    11-01-08 10:21 PM
    I think you might be better off trying to find a used model on eBay. Sometimes you can find them on the cheap side if they are used and frankly it doesn't matter if there are scratches on the case or not, you just need an inner part.
    11-01-08 10:49 PM
    so i'm having the same issue as the last guy. i have an old blackberry pearl available to me, so i will have a sensor available to me. this is a 2 parter:

how do i remove the ball and ring and extract the copper part from the pearl without losing/breaking it from the pearl, and then how do i secure it in the curve?

and how do i reinstall the ball in the curve?
    03-31-09 05:28 PM
    Best bet is to take it to a computer repair shop and see if they can fix it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 05:32 PM
    i found that literally the only 2 tools i needed to take a trackball and parts out of one blackberry and insert them into another were: eyebrow tweezers, and a pencil (or something long and narrow that also doesn't have a metal end)

i pulled the ring out first by getting the tip of the tweezers under it, and then all i had to do was flip the phone upside down and the ball piece fell into my hand. it slid right out.

i have a unique situation in which i was missing the copper-colored sensor in the phone i was trying to repair. i used the tweezers to peel this part off of the sensor area in the pearl i was using for parts. the center of this part is circular. that part is some sort of metal and is magnetic. the rest of this part (it's a square with a circle inside) is adhesive. just re-align these squares in the phone you are repairing holding the square above its home with the tweezers, and use the pencil to push it down onto the other square with a little pressure so the magnetic part doesnt stick to the tweezers.

i know that everyone says just buy the parts, but i doubt you'll find them online. id say next time you're at a party, just jack someone's blackberry and run to the bathroom. do the dirty. return the blackberry and be the hero. be like "hey i found this in the bathroom... maybe you left it there or someone tried to steal it and did"... noone finds their missing phone and checks to make sure their trackball sensor is still there, especially drunk at a party.

cheers!

03-31-09 06:14 PM
    Does anyone think the same process would work with individual key sensors? Or just buy a new keyboard pcb?
    08-14-09 02:40 PM
    Will a replacement trackball not work at all without the copper sensor?
    03-09-10 06:57 PM
    You can find the dome here in the CB Store. They're only a couple of bucks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-10 09:59 PM
    I got a new trackball and tried it without the sensor. it works perfectly fine.
    03-10-10 02:34 AM
    Goto w w w. fon logix . com they have them AND a whole lot of good OEM or aftermarket parts.... It's where i've gotten numerous housings,trackballs, screen/lens, etc... Very quick shipping and very friendly. I ordered a new complete Red 8120 housing/lens combo, new red trackball, chrome trim ring, got everything in 2 business days. Now my 8120 Pearl looks brand new !!!
    03-12-10 11:54 AM
    Very helpful Site, Thanks Much OhioMarineVet. I happen to need a Click Dome for my trackball on my BB 8320.
    Last edited by Hittz; 07-12-10 at 12:28 AM.
    07-12-10 12:24 AM
    I have hundreds of those little metal contact discs that go under the tape on the TrackBall... and today I am going to share with everyone where you get them...

I buy old broken blackberrys any models for dirt dirt cheap..

The exact same metal disc is under each key / letters of the keypad under the membrane tape.

I litterly have over 200 of these discs and I use them all the time to fix all kinds of devices not just BB trackball clicking issues..

... glad I could share this with you all and hope you find the info handy.
    08-08-10 09:13 AM
    Also if you just want the original part with tape also, here is a link for ebay..

... sorry it wont let me post a link till i make 10 posts at least

so just go to ebay and do a search for BLACKBERRY TRACKBALL DOME MEMBRANE FIX
    08-08-10 09:19 AM
    Are you guys talking about the trackball click? because ive been having some problems with clicking the trackball. Sometimes its really hard soemtimes it goes easier. I went to Tmo and got the ball replaced for free. Im thinking about going back and asking why its so hard to click with the trackball. Oh btw sorry to mention im on the bb curve 8320 which isnt quite the pearl but eehh. same trackball =P.

So should i buy a new dome thing? or do reggaelove715 technique? OR i was thinking it would just take a bit of time to break the trackball in... but im a newby.
    08-09-10 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD