The trackball on my pearl has occasional problems scrolling down. I notced this when I first bought this used BlackBerry but then the problem went away. When it happens I cannot move the cursor down or scroll down through menus, though scrolling up works fine. Has anyone else seen this problem or know what the solution is? Should I try replacing the trackball? It seems as though the trackball does not grip anything when moving down, though it feels normal when moving up or side to side.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 03:13 PM
    Before you replace it try cleaning it first. You can use alcohol wipes or compressed air.
    01-10-09 05:43 PM
    Replacements are inexpensive at only 8.99$, I would suggest that before messing the one in your phone up (happened to me and now its semi-stuck).

http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-81xx83xx88xx-trackball-p-1857.html

Pretty good site I bought mine from.

Last edited by MAWorking; 01-10-09 at 07:50 PM.
    01-10-09 07:46 PM
    It can be cleaned easily if you're somewhat mechanicaly capable. Just go slow and be gentle taking it out. Having a back up first is a great idea.
    01-11-09 12:02 AM
    First, hold the device face DOWN, trackball toward the ground. Work the trackball vigorously in all directions. There may be some crud in the rollers. Do NOT keep it in your pocket without a case. It will collect lint like a friggin' magnet!

If that doesn't work, follow the cleaning instructions posted here on CB.

If all else fails, replace the trackball.

01-11-09 01:17 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...rackball-3243/

01-11-09 10:00 AM
    I have this problem occasionally too. Thanks!

01-12-09 04:23 PM
    I have had this probelm, and a couple others. Use a good amount of pressure and roll the trackball in the direction that it is not registering. It should fix the problem. I finally got tired of doing this, and Alltel told me not to fix it next time and bring it in, and they will replace it. So, I'm pretty excited, and hope it happens again. Ha.
    01-16-09 03:47 PM
    Mine does that from time to time. All I do is press down on the ball, like I am clicking on something and then roll it in different directions. That works for me

01-16-09 03:58 PM
    I use my Pearl ALOT and like every month when the trackball stops responding, I pop it out and clean it with alcohol and compressed air. I had read the instruction on this site and it really works. I'm pretty hard on my BB and have not replaced the trackball yet.
    01-17-09 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD