The trackball on my 8120 sometimes acts up. It moves the cursor down but has a hard time moving the cursor up. Is that something that can be fixed? I am very nervous to take this thing apart!
    01-19-09 08:11 PM
    How long have you had the phone? If you got it new and have had it for less than a year you should just get it replaced. (That's the easy answer.) If you can't then there are posts out there describing how to disassemble clean and reassemble the trackball assembly.
    01-19-09 08:14 PM
    How long have you had the phone? If you got it new and have had it for less than a year you should just get it replaced. (That's the easy answer.) If you can't then there are posts out there describing how to disassemble clean and reassemble the trackball assembly.
    It is over a year old. Does cleaning tend to help fix something like that?
    01-19-09 08:16 PM
    All you need to do is press down firmly and then roll around in all directions while mashing down. This clears out the debris - usually a hair, dust, etc.

I clean mine periodically with a can of air. I have also read that alcohol pads do a good job.

Good luck and don't panic
    01-19-09 08:46 PM
    Trackball only moves one way I have had my Blackberry 8310 Curve since March an initially purchased from Suncom as of December I was having issues with my trackball took it into T Mobile store because they bought out Suncom and told me that I am not covered under the warranty with them because Suncom has a different warranty. I don't know what I should do because I cant be without a phone I am trying find a way to purchase a trackball and ring. what should I do?
    01-19-09 08:52 PM
    Hi - I have a Pearl 8120 and use it constantly so the trackball does act up...a few times it totally stopped responding. I pop it out about every month, clean it with alcohol and a lint free cloth and then it works great. I was nervous bout it too but it is very easy. I know a few folks who have replaced their trackball but I haven't...yet.
    01-19-09 11:11 PM
    Hi - I have a Pearl 8120 and use it constantly so the trackball does act up...a few times it totally stopped responding. I pop it out about every month, clean it with alcohol and a lint free cloth and then it works great. I was nervous bout it too but it is very easy. I know a few folks who have replaced their trackball but I haven't...yet.
    You just use a little screwdriver to pop off the silver ring? It's that easy?
    01-20-09 08:19 AM
    Just make sure you don't break the clips that hold the ring in place, they are at the 3 6 and 9 o'clock positions. If you beak those the you'll have to order a new ring (and you then might as well order the ball too if that happens since you'll be waiting for shipping at that point).

Otherwise it's a price of cake. Trackball reassembly usually goes ok as long as you are appropriately gentle with everything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 01:50 PM
    When my trackball has acted up, I've found that it is a software problem (of which I've had many). Typically, it takes multiple battery removals before the trackball is functioning again.
    01-20-09 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD