Hey guys, first let me say thanks to everyone that answered my previous post...I couldn't find it to say thanks. On to my question:

I exchanged my pearl 8130 for a new one bc of the backlight and with the new one I can hear a faint clicking sound when I roll the track ball in any direction. And yes I muted the trackball sound option. It makes the sound even if the phone is off. It's a faint mechanical clicking sound. Anyone else have this? I didn't notice it on my last one.

Thanks everyone!

Adrian
    02-18-08 07:12 PM
    Other than the publicly dubbed "gritty feel/sound", I can't say as personally I've ever heard any faint clicking.
    02-18-08 07:29 PM
    That clicking/gritty feeling is a GOOD thing!!! you dont want that to go away because all it is is the ball rolling against the sensors inside the phone, much like an older mouse with a ball instead of the newer optical solutions. Mine just quit working last night in the upward direction. Only recognizes movement left, right, and down my typical luck. Anyway, verizon is sending me a new one...be here tomorrow. Anyone had similar issues?

Also, though off topic, has anyone heard if RIM really released a new OS for the 8130? The girl at verizon said so but had no idea how to find it.
    02-18-08 07:40 PM
    Mine just quit working last night in the upward direction. Only recognizes movement left, right, and down my typical luck.
    You most likely have dirt/lint in the trackball. Pressing very firmly down & rolling in the 'stuck' direction often corrects the problem.
    02-18-08 07:45 PM
    thanks guys for the quick replies. I've used other peoples pearls and no clicking noise so I was concerned, it does drive me a bit crazy. Seems like there is a lot of manufacturing inconsistencies with these pearls.
    02-18-08 07:46 PM
    I just got a few replies at another forum asking the same question and someone suggested the newest batch of pearls do this clicking and that they may be changed to avoid being so prone to getting dirty and not working. Anyone else hear this?
    02-18-08 08:02 PM
    Still doesnt fix the problem. pissed me off.
    02-18-08 11:49 PM
    Other than the publicly dubbed "gritty feel/sound", I can't say as personally I've ever heard any faint clicking.
    It's gettin' to me.
    02-19-08 01:45 AM
    The trackball is textured, and rubs against the bracers inside the mechanism.. thus the gritty feel/sound. It's part of the Pearl's design. Not really a manufacturing error.
    02-19-08 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD