Hello.
    I'm new here, and first of all, I'd like to mention that this place and it's users are great. If I get a Blackberry then I am glad there is a place like this where I can find the information I would need to get it running appropriately.

I was thinking about ordering either the new Pearl 8120, or the curve 8320 from T-mobile (I already have a nice plan with T-mobile).

Here is my decision making dilemma...

With a 2 year extension upgrade I can buy the pearl 8120 for $304.99 (there seems to be no upgrade fee at this time)
    Without a 2 year extension upgrade the Pearl 8120 would cost me $367.99

With a 2 year extension upgrade I can buy the curve for $367.99

w/2 yr ext:
    8120 - $304.99
    8320 - $367.99

w/o 2 yr ext:
    8120 - $367.99

I have a used Motorola A1200 (my current phone) that I can sell on ebay along with another (semi-working) used A1200 and a refurbished unused Nokia 5300.
    I am sure I can get a couple hundred bucks for my phones, so I figured why not sell them and put the money towards a new phone.

I will mostly be using the BB as a phone and Mp3 player. When I have a business up and running in the future I will use the BB email capabilities, but for now I will just use it for the voice, mp3, and WiFi features.

I am having a hard time deciding if I should use my 2 year upgrade extension or not. Should I wait to use the extension upgrade next year when T-mobile has 3G fully running and all the new phones are out? My contract ends next December.

Should I get the curve with the extension upgrade, or the pearl for the same price without the extension upgrade?

And finally, if I decide to do the extension upgrade, the pearl will be about $70 cheaper than getting the extension upgrade with the curve.

I can't decide!

I am ready to pull the trigger, but I figured I would see if I could get any feedback here to help me make my decision.

Any friendly advice is appreciated!
    04-25-08 06:07 PM
    304.99 with a 2 yr contract extension for the 8120 with T-Mob?? I know some who upgraded for $200 ish and they also get a $50 rebate back.
    04-25-08 06:12 PM
    Unlimited Data Plan...you won't be sorry and when the addiction hits, you will need it.
    Last edited by CJH315; 04-25-08 at 07:01 PM.
    04-25-08 06:19 PM
    I would call TMO retention department and speak to them about the price of either phone. I got my Curve for $239.99 and I called today about the 8120 and it was offerred to me for $139.99 and I just upgraded in Feb 08. I do not think you are getting a good deal on either phone. You need to call TMO and work it!!!
    04-25-08 06:38 PM
    Thats weird.
    I upgraded a year ago last December. I called T-mobile and talked to someone about upgrading and they gave me the same prices as my tmobile online gave me.
    The lady I spoke with on the phone sounded kind of like she didn't know what she was doing.

If I call back T-mobile and try to get a better deal, who should I ask to be connected to, and if they ask why, what should I say?
    Should I ask for customer care or should I ask for the retention department?
    Last edited by icaro2000; 04-25-08 at 07:53 PM.
    04-25-08 07:50 PM
    I would call TMO retention department and speak to them about the price of either phone. I got my Curve for $239.99 and I called today about the 8120 and it was offerred to me for $139.99 and I just upgraded in Feb 08. I do not think you are getting a good deal on either phone. You need to call TMO and work it!!!
    Was that with the 2 year extension plan? The lady gave me the same price as the online price that I quoted above but with a 3 year plan instead of 2 year one. Whats up with that?

How come you got such a good deal?
    04-25-08 07:52 PM
    My above prices are including tax as well, but thats still much higher than your upgrade price.
    04-25-08 08:00 PM
    thats high! i would go curve w/ unlimited data. just my opinion though. either way you win.
    04-25-08 08:04 PM
    When you call, choose customer care and then when it asks what your calling about, you can say retention and tell them you want to upgrade and what price can they give you for a pearl or a curve. See if they tell you differently than the last person you talked to. I bet you get a better deal. I have never heard of a 3 yr contract?? Definately call and talk to someone else tomorrow. Let us know what happens.
    04-26-08 01:23 AM
    My above prices are including tax as well, but thats still much higher than your upgrade price.

How long have you been with TMO? I have been with them since 2002. When was the last time you upgraded? I just told them that I just got my Curve 4/5/08 and the Curve seemed big for me (not really) and that since I got the Curve, the 8120 came out and it had the same features. I just told them that I thought the 8120 would be a better fit for me and the rep just said sure no problem we can do that for you for $139.99 with a 2 year contract. Since it only added 20 more days to my contract, I said YES, send me the phone. And since I extended my contract, I also can receive the $50.00 rebate. Also, it helps if you can tell by the tone of their voice if they are nice and seem to be eager to help you. If not hang up and call back until you get a nice sounding rep.
    04-26-08 01:43 AM
    If those are the prices that they are sticking with than I would try ebay or Craigslist. You can get a good condition blackberry for like $200-$250. Good luck with everything.
    04-26-08 10:02 AM
    How long have you been with TMO?
    I have been with t-mo since about 2003. Last time I upgraded was December of 2006. I don't understand why they try and shaft me. Same thing happened when I upgraded to the Razr Z3 in 06'. They only gave me a very minor discount off the full price and made me sign for another 2 year contract.

It seems like t-mobile pisses people off, then when they go too far, they try and compensate with good deals. They screwed up my bill for three months in a row and way overcharged me because they were having issues with their main system or something like that. After I nagged at them for like 4 hours over the phone, they compensated by giving me the 1500 whenever minutes plan for 50 bucks a month (also because I was/am supposedly a 'preferred' customer).

But then I seem to be getting shafted on the upgrade deals, and that makes me wonder what 'preferred' really means to T-MO.
    04-26-08 12:00 PM
    Screw that I would be out looking for better deals. You can get a new 8300 for 199.00 and then an unlimited data plan for about 30 monthly plus however many min. Or a 8130 for 149.00 same data, without a contract turn it off when ever.
    04-26-08 12:08 PM
    oh yeah cincinnatibell.com
    04-26-08 12:08 PM
    You also might want to try AT&T or Best Buy. Right now Best Buy will sell you a curve for 79.95, plus they provide insurance on their smart phones which most of the companies will not do. Check it out.
    04-26-08 12:28 PM
    The OP may still be under contract with TMO. If you are, then call TMO back. Did you call them today?
    04-26-08 01:06 PM
    Ok, I used to work for T-Mobile as a customer care rep, and I can let you in on a little secret to getting better deals on upgrades over the phone. If you have been a customer for more than 10 months and you call in asking for your contract end date or how much the early termination fee is, they should ask if you are considering leaving T-Mobile and if you answer yes because you are looking to get a new phone and it is cheaper at somewhere else, then they will transfer you to "retention" and they will start offering you a better price. It is usually better pricing than a new customer can get.

Try it and if not better pricing, ask for a supervisor and then if not better, ask for their supervisor but don't ever get mad or hateful with any of them, you will get better help and that goes for ALL situations when you are asking for something. Everyone that I worked with was much more willing to help and bend or break rules if you are VERY nice about any situation.
    04-26-08 01:38 PM
    The OP may still be under contract with TMO. If you are, then call TMO back. Did you call them today?
    Yep, I'm still under contract. And like I said, its a the best plan I can get from any company right now. I am about to call them right now.
    Do you think it might be better to call them during normal business hours this coming week?
    04-26-08 02:18 PM
    I did it!
    I just ordered the 8120 with a 2 year extension plan plus the BB data plan.
    I did as pdxmatts and tscharron suggested, called T-mobile, talked to customer care, told them that I wanted to upgrade my phone and was considering canceling my contract. They transferred me to the "customer loyalty department" and within minutes the lady offered me the $139.99 price with a 2 year extension without me even mentioning any prices.
    All was said and done in 5 minutes. I have to admit, I have not had this kind of good customer service in a long time.
    The other week when I called, I didn't even bother asking for customer care because the lady I spoke with sounded so indifferent and clueless.

If it wasn't for these forums, I probably would not have ordered the 8120 today! Thanks everyone for your helpful insights.

Can't beat $146.99 (inlucing tax) for a brand new Pearl 8120!

W00T!
    04-26-08 02:54 PM
    I also mentioned the iphone. Mentioning the iphone was like mentioning the devil.
    04-26-08 03:00 PM
    Woot! Woot!

Plus $50.00 for the mail in rebate! $100.00, not to shabby...
    04-26-08 04:30 PM
    She did not mention anything about the mail in rebate.
    Will that come packaged with the phone or should I have asked for it.
    Should I call back and try and find out more about the 50 dollar mail in rebate?

Either way, I am a happy camper for being able to get it for the 139.99 price. Last night I was very close to going with the 367.99 price with no extension! I'm more than good with less than half that price, but if I can still get another 50 bucks off, that would be even better.
    04-26-08 04:34 PM
    Hey dude just go to wirefly.com, its free! At least for AT&t..
    04-26-08 04:36 PM
    Hey dude just go to wirefly.com, its free! At least for AT&t..
    Check out the whole thread, and you'll see that I have been with T-mo for 5 years, and have the best possible plan available (not an advertised plan).

Besides, like in one of my last posts, I just ordered the 8120 for ten dollars less than the advertised discount price that new customers are getting with a new 2 year contract.

I'm psyched.

Now I need to get myself an 8gb microSD card and a nice set of Stereo Bluetooth headphones...Any suggestions?
    04-26-08 04:50 PM
    She did not mention anything about the mail in rebate.
    Will that come packaged with the phone or should I have asked for it.
    Should I call back and try and find out more about the 50 dollar mail in rebate?

I can't post a url yet until I have 10 posts, pm me for the link.

They won't tell you about it, but if you signed a new contract, then you qualify for the rebate. Choose existing customer upgrade through C/S. It searches for the rebate and then it shows you the rebate and you fill it out. Then you print it and send it with the label on the side of the box.
    04-26-08 05:03 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD