Well I'm sure some of you know this, but MOST phones out there include some way to make the flash into a flashlight. It is the same bright LED that is used in those small keychain flashlights, so why not use your phone?

This has always been an important feature for me as I surprise myself how frequently I need a flashlight. I looked around for a solution and there is no 3rd party app that offers this fix.

Turns out if you go into the video camera mode and select the flash to ON, everytime you start the program the light will turn on, regardless of whether you're recording or not.

I assigned my left side function key to the video program, and voila! I have a flashlight ready to use in just a few seconds, certainly no faster than a program i'd have to pay for would take.

If you want to save your buttons for something else, then now you know that if you click the video camera icon, you'll have a flashlight in no time!
    I hope this has helped, probably don't leave it on for an extended period because of battery drain.

Thanks for reading!

*Note: Thanks to Zak8022, you WILL need a memory card for this to work, because you need to access the video recorder
    Last edited by Wegmans; 02-11-08 at 08:36 PM.
    12-07-07 12:59 AM
    Sweet! I was wondering the same thing to. But just to add... you might have to go into options and set the light to be on always vs automatic. That way it will come on when you open the video camera.

Thanks again, I know this will come in handy.

Pete
    12-07-07 05:16 AM
    THANKS A LOT! That's great!
    12-07-07 02:21 PM
    Works like a charm! Thanks for the post!
    12-07-07 03:10 PM
    Yay! I knew I wasn't alone here!
    12-07-07 06:15 PM
    Nice Find!! I had the flashlight feature on a SE i owned and have missed it ever since.

Good job Wegmans!
    12-08-07 11:42 AM
    sweet thanks
    12-08-07 05:05 PM
    thanks... this is what I needed especially creeping around the house at night.
    12-08-07 09:11 PM
    That just saved me a ton of time trying to rig the flash.
    02-11-08 09:57 AM
    yeah, this is awesome. works really well - better than i expected. i've recommended to others, too. nice work!
    02-11-08 10:00 AM
    A lot of people have been searching for something like this.
    Am sure you would have many grateful to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-08 10:31 AM
    Yes, that is what I did a few days ago. that`s a good thing to do. It`s bright enough.
    02-11-08 11:28 AM
    It would seem that you need to make sure you have a SD card for this trick to work. My Pearl won't let me record anything without a media card... so this trick doesn't work.

It sounds like a great idea, but i just wanted to let those w/o SD cards know it won't work for you.
    02-11-08 11:55 AM
    Oh good point! Yeah you would need to have an SD card for this to work. I remember when I got my pearl, i wanted to try out the Video recorder, and it didn't let me! good call
    02-11-08 08:35 PM
    Hey all!

I've got a free MIDlet you can download that works as a great flashlight!
    It also has colors to give you "colored" light!

Go To davidramsey03.com on your mobile browser to download
    and install OTA!

It's free and it works!!!!
    05-20-08 01:50 PM
    Hey all!

and install OTA!

FYI- the screen being lit up works okay for a flashlight as this application will do but using the LED flash is much brighter. If you have an SD card, I'd definitely recommend going with the LED flash.
    05-20-08 03:37 PM
    Thanks wegmans!! That works great!
    05-20-08 03:47 PM
    Awesome tip wegmans! Thanks!
    05-21-08 06:06 PM
    Hey all!

and install OTA!

I couldn't get that to download for my 8100
    05-21-08 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD