i've had my pearl for about a month now.. and all of a sudden when i try and save an address my phone freezes up and won't let me save it. or when i go to my SMS message center, it won't let me just send an SMS message i have to go to my contact list and click on a contact and send a SMS text that way. what is going on?!
    02-23-09 03:39 PM
    Your probably out of device memory try to do a battery pull then see if this solves the problem. Are you using the new update from alltel (v4.5.0.89)?
    02-23-09 11:52 PM
    Check your file free under options/status
    02-23-09 11:58 PM
    uhm. i'm not sure if i'm using the updated version, but some have said that may be the problem, how do i update my software, or check if i need to update it?
    02-24-09 08:43 AM
    Go to Menu (BB button), Options, Status. This will answer both questions about file free (we think you're running low), and which OS version you have
    02-24-09 12:16 PM
    okayy.
    so i checked it.. but i don't know what's bad or not..
    but..my signal is -80dBm
    battery- 45%
    File Free- 246448 Bytes
    File Total- 50462720 Bytes

good, bad?
    02-24-09 04:17 PM
    Your memory is too low to support operations, do you have a memory card for pics and media? Are you using Facebook? And do you have a lot of saved messages?

You need to do some memory optimization techniques and get that file free above 12MB.

Also, have you done a battery pull yet?

To check which OS you have, click Options>Scroll up to About ex v4.5.000 to check which version you have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bergerking; 02-24-09 at 05:09 PM.
    02-24-09 04:50 PM
    it says v4.3.0.81.
    do i need to update it? if so, how do i?
    i do not have a memory card for pics or media. and i do use facebook, but no saved messages.
    02-24-09 05:41 PM
    oh, and i haven't done a battery pull. do i just take it out and put it back in?
    02-24-09 05:42 PM
    Check out this link. It will help with your memory issue. http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

02-24-09 05:48 PM
    Yes on the battery pull. Your memory problem based on your information is most likely attributed to Facebook. Do you close your apps fully as you leave them, I.e. Menu>close rather than using the end or escape(or back button)?

Do you have any pics or wallpapers on your BB?
    02-24-09 06:13 PM
    nope, i do not just close my apps. i'll have to start doing that. lol and i only have about 5 pics on it right now, and no wallpapers.
    02-24-09 08:47 PM
    OK, now you're getting started. My wife had complained she was having a memory leak on her BB, and I found out that our youngest had left several apps open. I had to shut it all down and battery pull hers to get it back in order. I recommend you get a memory card when you can to store media, ringers, and pics on. I didn't ask if you had downloaded any ringers yet, they also take up device memory if you don't have a media card.
    02-24-09 08:59 PM
    I would recommend that you get a little more familiar and comfortable with your Pearl before attempting this. You would most likely benefit from an OS upgrade, but get it a little time to learn the basics first. Have you downloaded and set up your Desktop Manager yet? If not, let's get that up and running and back your device up, too. I will be logging off til morning, so take it easy, check out some more stuff, and I'll look for further posts tomorrow. There is always someone else here who can help, also.
    02-24-09 09:09 PM
    i'm not sure if i set my desktop manager yet, i'm still pretty new to this whole thing. but i'm going to pull my battery out once i get home and i'll let you know how that goes. thank you so much!
    02-25-09 08:59 AM
    No problem. Understand being new. We'll get you up and cruising in no time.

02-25-09 09:09 AM
    I've had the same problem, though I've just gotten my BB pearl. After talking to support at Alltel, it was my firmware version. I also had the 4.3.x.x, and now currently updating to the 4.5.x.x version. They said that the 4.3 caused memory leaks in saving call logs and SMS messages. Also didn't allow MMS messages. So I can let you know once updated if it took care of it.
    02-25-09 11:02 AM
    i got it all worked out, just deleted some apps. i didn't use and it's back to normal. thanks for all the help!
    02-25-09 04:59 PM
    Install DM if you haven't yet and do yourself a favor and upgrade the OS...I was having other problems (different than yours) but the upgrade works wonders!!!! Fixes lots of little bugs. I really think that will help you out all around. Weather now or later when you start seeing other things happening.
    02-25-09 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD