is there any way to get out of the sms text limit of 160 characters? it has been really annoying... just wondering
    04-21-08 07:32 PM
    No I don't believe so
    04-21-08 07:35 PM
    Use email.
    04-21-08 07:41 PM
    Nope! No way around it on RIM devices!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-08 08:23 PM
    No, it sucks- but like they said you could send it by email, or save them as drafts and then send them all out at once when you're done.

04-21-08 08:30 PM
    Nope. From what I've heard, many phones (including all the ones I've ever used) have something like EMS or something like that (Enhanced Messaging Service) that allows you to go over the 160 character limit. The Blackberry doesn't support this.

(I can't really remember what it's called that allows you to go over the limit, sending it in multiple messages, but it's something like that).
    04-21-08 10:24 PM
    Choose to send an MMS instead of an SMS, and instead of adding a picture or sound, just type. You can send a maximum of 1000 characters and you don't have to attach anything extra.
    04-21-08 10:41 PM
    What happens if you send a text MMS to someone without MMS capability? Do they get the first 160 characters?
    04-21-08 10:44 PM
    What happens if you send a text MMS to someone without MMS capability? Do they get the first 160 characters?
    No, they will not receive the MMS at all.
    04-22-08 06:18 AM
    Can the blackberry receive multiple messages being sent from a phone that has multiple messaging capability?

I seem to only receive the first one....and never get the rest of the message. I have the Curve. I told my other friend about this issue and she has the Pearl, she says that she receives them just fine.

So yea....i dunno
    09-10-08 12:46 PM
    I tested your scenario a while back with another crackberry member, not on Verizon, who could send long SMS messages. I pm'd her my BlackBerry number and she sent me a message that was four 160-char messages long. I received all four of them, one after the other. So in that case at least, it did work.

09-10-08 05:02 PM
    160 Characters is a limit placed on the system by the carriers.

Search on Howstuffworks for "How SMS Works"

I do not have enough posts yet to include the URL.

When you send a message over 160 characters the carrier may break it in to smaller pieces however it is up to the provider to handle that.
    09-10-08 05:22 PM
    Nope. From what I've heard, many phones (including all the ones I've ever used) have something like EMS or something like that (Enhanced Messaging Service) that allows you to go over the 160 character limit. The Blackberry doesn't support this.
    Its a carrier thing. I am with ATT and I can type as much as I want and it will break it up into separate messages, up to 6 sms messages. After six I would have to send and go compose sms again and i could do another 6... and there is no extra charge for this. I dunno if other carriers support this with blackberries, but I know ATT's do... at least the pearls I can speak for.
    09-10-08 07:26 PM
    I just use BBM or e-mail.

09-10-08 07:40 PM
    Switch carriers.

Or use PIN Messages, MMS or Email
    09-10-08 07:49 PM
    Switch carriers...........
    Yes , always start with the easiest possible solution........lol
    09-10-08 08:12 PM
    It is kinda annoying though...I used to b able 2 just type away and it wld break it up but now I gotta compose new all the time! At least when ya hit compose sms it automatically goes to the last person u snt a txt too.
    09-11-08 03:27 PM
    I too, dont understand how they can develop sophisticated devices like the bb's and not include basic EMS and MMS features (well, RELIABLE mms anyway), when I have old LG and Moto phones that bog down after 80 characters but still allow EMS messages. Seems like a simple thing to implement...
    09-11-08 03:50 PM
    Is it just my Pearl, or do other people have the problem that they near the 160 character mark and the BB says it has four characters left that the phone says can be used, but then it pops up and says the message field is full? This only happens occasionally but still, it's a pain in the rear.

I have to text because unfortunately most of my friends don't have Blackberries. One positive aspect to the 160 limit that I've found is that when SMSing people out of network, they only recieved the first 160 characters anways but now I just break the text up into as many drafts as I like and then send them all at once.
    09-11-08 11:15 PM
    Is it just my Pearl, or do other people have the problem that they near the 160 character mark and the BB says it has four characters left that the phone says can be used, but then it pops up and says the message field is full? This only happens occasionally but still, it's a pain in the rear.
    That will happen when SureType is choosing to auto-complete the last word with one longer than the remaining number of characters. You can get around it by entering your final word/characters using MultiTap.
    09-12-08 06:55 AM
    VZW doesn't allow the automatic breakdown of 160+ character SMS's for the Blackberry. I don't know why as their other phones have that capability (my friend on VZW sends me tons of 160+ char SMS's), but when I respond to her, it caps out at 160....
    09-13-08 05:40 PM
    Its a carrier thing. I am with ATT and I can type as much as I want and it will break it up into separate messages, up to 6 sms messages. After six I would have to send and go compose sms again and i could do another 6... and there is no extra charge for this. I dunno if other carriers support this with blackberries, but I know ATT's do... at least the pearls I can speak for.
    I have a Curve with AT&T and that's how my SMS works as well.
    09-19-08 10:10 PM
    first post for me!

anyways, i do know that between carriers, there is a 160 character limit. however, messages sent within a carrier have a 20-blockx160-character llimit on most phones.
    03-02-09 02:48 PM
    I have an 8120 on Orange UK and I can type more than 160 characters in a message. I have never had any restrictions on it?
    03-03-09 07:45 AM
    it depends on your carrier and the phone. i had a razr some time ago and it split up messages that went over the character limit.

what you could do is send the phone number an email. i know with verizon, your phone number has an email address so someone on a computer can text you, like [email protected]. not sure if all carriers have that but that's an option. you send them an email, they get it as text
    03-03-09 09:08 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD