So this is my first BB device and so far it's great, but I've had a few minor issues. In the last 2 weeks of owning it, I occasionally get a minor lock-up issue. All of a sudden, the screen gets "staticky" and starts to fade to bright white. It's the equivalent to getting a scrambled cable channel on your TV. Anyway, hitting the standby button, then once it goes black, hitting the same button seems to fix it. I've contacted RIM and they said it sounds like hardware. However, I have co-workers who are having the same issue (I work for a cellular company) and we're confident it's not the hardware, but rather an OS issue.

Anyone else experience this or do I have a bum Pearl? Also, the media player makes a clicking/pop sound when changing tracks if you have headphones/speakers plugged into the 3.5mm jack. I don't think I got a bad Pearl, but would like to know I'm not the only one having these issues.
    06-19-08 03:14 PM
    Shamless bump. Seriously??!!! No one else has experienced this issue?
    Last edited by juelze; 07-08-08 at 12:24 PM.
    06-20-08 09:44 PM
    Just ask for a warranty replacement then.
    06-20-08 09:50 PM
    Just ask for a warranty replacement then.
    If the screen freeze is intermittent, meaning it happens 2-3 times a week, how would one prove that the device is having an issue?
    Last edited by juelze; 07-08-08 at 12:25 PM.
    06-20-08 10:36 PM
    Well what is it that you want then? If you already tried reloading the OS, the only other thing that could correct the issue is to replace the device.
    06-20-08 11:34 PM
    Well what is it that you want then? If you already tried reloading the OS, the only other thing that could correct the issue is to replace the device.
    You have me baffled. It sounds like you cannot even fathom the slight chance that it is a software bug/OS issue. I love my Blackberry, but RIM is far from infalliable. I've read several other reports in other forums about people having the same issue. It's quite possible that it's a conflict with a 3rd party app that I use (Gmail and Google Sync), or that it's a glitch with the OS.
    06-21-08 10:24 AM
    You have me baffled. It sounds like you cannot even fathom the slight chance that it is a software bug/OS issue. I love my Blackberry, but RIM is far from infalliable. I've read several other reports in other forums about people having the same issue. It's quite possible that it's a conflict with a 3rd party app that I use (Gmail and Google Sync), or that it's a glitch with the OS.
    Wow, don't even get me started. I'll lay this out for you.

You say that there is an issue and have reloaded the OS. Okay, that should have corrected the issue if it were due to gmail/google sync. This would have been confirmed by adding gmail/google sync and the issue reappearing.

And I'll ask again, what is it that you are expecting from us? To magically fix your problem for you? I gave you a solution, and you rejected it. What kind of solution are you looking for? What do you think is going to fix the issue? You sir/mame, have insulted me.
    Last edited by sunkast; 06-21-08 at 11:00 AM.
    06-21-08 10:56 AM
    Wow, don't even get me started. I'll lay this out for you.

You say that there is an issue and have reloaded the OS. Okay, that should have corrected the issue if it were due to gmail/google sync. This would have been confirmed by adding gmail/google sync and the issue reappearing.

And I'll ask again, what is it that you are expecting from us? To magically fix your problem for you? I gave you a solution, and you rejected it. What kind of solution are you looking for? What do you think is going to fix the issue? You sir/mame, have insulted me.
    I apologize for being brash, that wasn't my intention. My sole purpose of posting was to see if other 8130 users had this event occur. It appears some haven't, but others have (I checked pinstack.com as well).

RIM suggested the OS be reloaded and it appears that it didn't fix it. It happens very infrequent, and I'm okay with dealing with it, but I just want to make sure something serious isn't happening. It could be hardware, but I HIGHLY doubt that it is. That would be the equivalent of telling someone who had to restart their PC due to it locking up, that it was a hardware issue. It certainly could be, don't get me wrong, but everything points to software. Everywhere on the web people talk about the memory leak issue with this Pearl, so to think this OS is rock-solid, well, I just don't believe it.

Anyway, using this forum to explore this issue has been fruitless. However, I do thank you for your time, and I apologize for being brash. Have a good weekend.
    06-21-08 01:34 PM
    I have had the same issue since upgrading to the new OS. from Sprint that is. Problem being i did a complete wipe, i even erased it to the point where i got the 507 error or whatever it is that says you have no os installed and......I re did everything. Didnt install anything that wasnt from the blackberry site....and then.....boom it happened again for the 7th time. So thats about once every 2-3 days .My 30 day guarantee is almost up so they told me to take it to the store. Problem is the store says i need the packing slip since i did the order online. I dont have that because the rebate offer said to turn in the orginal packing slip. So calling sprint support today I was told to have them call the telesales if they do not believe me. And that is is thoroughly documented in my notes how many time in the last 2 weeks alone that I have called about this problem and a few others. So i think its software causing it. But at the same time..... There are alot of reports of it floating around so maybe the screen itself is delicate. Granted (knock on wood) havent dropped mine yet.
    06-21-08 07:54 PM
    I have had the same issue since upgrading to the new OS. from Sprint that is. Problem being i did a complete wipe, i even erased it to the point where i got the 507 error or whatever it is that says you have no os installed and......I re did everything. Didnt install anything that wasnt from the blackberry site....and then.....boom it happened again for the 7th time. So thats about once every 2-3 days .My 30 day guarantee is almost up so they told me to take it to the store. Problem is the store says i need the packing slip since i did the order online. I dont have that because the rebate offer said to turn in the orginal packing slip. So calling sprint support today I was told to have them call the telesales if they do not believe me. And that is is thoroughly documented in my notes how many time in the last 2 weeks alone that I have called about this problem and a few others. So i think its software causing it. But at the same time..... There are alot of reports of it floating around so maybe the screen itself is delicate. Granted (knock on wood) havent dropped mine yet.
    Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. A lot of people think it's as simple as being a hardware issue, however, I highly doubt that. To me, it's a software issue, plain and simple.
    Last edited by juelze; 07-08-08 at 12:26 PM.
    06-22-08 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD