I'm 18 years old and for Christmas I want a cellphone. It will be my first. I also just got a job that pays 7.50 an hour. This phone has a lot of stuff that seems really cool and that I would use. Specifically email and scheduling. Is this a good fit for me or is it too expensive for the plans and is this just not a phone for a first time teen? Thanks.
    12-19-07 02:30 PM
    If you can afford $19.99 - $29.99 per month for the Data Plan, plus voice, go for it. I don't think you can afford it, though. My opinion.
    12-19-07 02:38 PM
    Hi sst89

It really comes down to a few things:

1) How badly do you want to check your email when you're away from a computer. How important is it that you do get your email when you're out? Are they just friends having a chat or are they work (or some other) related)?
    2) Is there some other method which you can check your email when you're out and about? There maybe cheaper methods using other phones and cheaper data plans.
    3) Think about how long you're likely to want to be using this phone. Young people (and some older people too) tend to want to keep moving to the next new gadget- is this plan going to lock you into some sort of long term contract which you can't get out of easily without penalty? If you do get sick of BB (unthinkable, I know), what are you going to do with a BB email plan?
    4) How much do you earn in total, and workout what percentage of your income (after tax and other living expenses) will go to paying your phone bill. It would make no sense, for example, if 50% of your income goes to paying for your BB...

Good luck
    12-19-07 02:53 PM
    I'm not going to lie, I would not have this phone if my company wasn't paying for it. I travel for months at a time all over the country and need this to get business emails when I'm sitting in the airport, in the car, or on location.

Think about how many emails you get? Is it worth $100 bucks a month for you to get them when your not at home or school?

In my personal opinion this is a business tool - you have to make the decision, but I would say you are barely making enough to pay for the bill every month.

If I were you I would keep your money for beer, girls, and partying - you're young! Live it up while you still can! (Coming from a recent college graduate, 2005)

Good luck!
    12-19-07 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD