So, less than 30 days into my new Sprint contract/phone, the alt key fell off my 8130. Sprint refuses to consider it a manufacturers defect, and wants me to pay a $100 deductible for a new phone b/c "it can't be fixed in-store".

I did a search on here and found some other Pearl users who've had keyboard issues. Someone gave a link to a site that sells phone parts. The site seems promising, but what is OEM and will a keyboard for any 8130 fit my phone? (Didn't seem to be too many "Sprint" brand parts out there.) Browsing the parts website, a new keyboard is pretty cheap (under $20). Is this the way to go? Will it be hard to swap out (I'm not particularly tech or mechanically savvy)?

Okay, that above was my question, now can I rant a little?

I'm particlularly upset because:

a) The phone was basically new (less than 30 days old) when it happened, so I feel like it probably was not attached 100% from day 1.

b) They can't fix it in the store b/c "they are getting rid of the model and don't stock parts anymore". WTF, why did you sell me a phone that you don't support anymore?

c) The $100 deductible is more than I originally paid for the phone w/ my new plan. I feel like I've been baited and switched, b/c I signed up for this great deal, and now I'll end up paying about $150+ for a refurb phone, instead of $50 for a new phone.

d) I'm pretty certain that what actually popped the key off was sliding it in and out of the Sprint/Blackberry provided carrying case. I mean, the case that came in the box with the phone damaged the phone. Why is this my $100 problem?

e) Upon further inspection, my return key in the other bottom corner also seems to be loose!

f) And the kicker? The insurance plan that I'm paying for is now basically void if I choose not to pay $100 and replace the phone. According to the store manager, if I don't replace it, no further issues will be covered by insurance b/c my phone now has "preexisting physical damage".

I have half a mind to stand outside the downtown Sprint store with a sign about their poor customer service...hopefully I'll cost them more money in lost business than it would have cost them to just take care of my problem properly!

Ugh, I never should have switched from Verizon...at least they manned up and took care of phone issues w/o charging!
    08-13-09 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD