Hello,

I am new to the forum as I got a Pearl 8110 on AT&T 3 weeks ago and I need help with it.

I today removed the Blackberry Personal data plan at the account level, turned Data Services to 'Off' on the BB, removed the Gmail account I had set up using the BIS as well as by removing the service book and also had AT&T remove any kind of MediaNet/SMS pay-per-use access. This resulted in me seeing GSM instead of EDGE under the signal strength bars so I thought I had turned all data off so I wouldn't be charged except my voice plan.

Now after taking all these steps, why would the data transfer icon show up on the signal strength icon and stay there all through the course of a 'regular phone call' ? It won't show up any time else, just when a regular call is in progress. AT&T is baffled that is happening and I have tried removing the battery for 4-5 mins and rebooting but that has not solved the problem.

I am worried that I am being charged for data access somehow even during a regular phone call. Please advise how this could be fixed. AT&T said we won't know if any data was used until 24 hours have passed.

Thank you!
    06-14-08 09:54 AM
    It says GSM under your signal strenght. That is just a Voice plan if it were data it would say EDGE.
    06-14-08 09:59 AM
    Yep you wont get charged for data unless it says EDGE. YOu shouldn't have any problems make sure that AT&T notes your account about the problem so that if they try and charge you for it you can have them remove the charge.
    06-14-08 10:03 AM
    thank you for your replies. i called 'em again and they said that if i wanted just sms/mms use they can make that happen without me using any kind of data services on the bb.

so since i got that done it has now started showing edge under the signal strength bar. they said BBs are finicky about using the net and won't use data unless the BB data plan is on the account, so it should all be good even if the data transfer icon shows in the regular call.

i did have them note the issue on my account brothamoveson, thank you for that tidbit, they will remove any data charges that may happen.

cheers!
    06-14-08 11:12 AM
    Your all set have fun with your BB
    06-14-08 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD