I have no clue what happened. The phone was working great since i got it. then one day, my phone decides to not ring during incoming calls. I did not mess with any of the settings or change anything. I do not download ring tones and all the other stuff. It still vibrates when i have it on vibrate mode and the red light flashes, but there is no ring when I put it on "normal" mode, when just yesterday it worked fine.

I don't know if I dropped and screwed something up (i don't recall that)...but this is pretty random....Any suggestions??
    02-03-08 08:34 AM
    Just to cover a couple of bases:

Are you aware that your phone does not vibrate and ring at the same time?

Are you answering your phone before it has a chance to ring?

For your normal profile, change it to tone only and test it again.
    02-03-08 08:38 AM
    yes, i should have been more clear. I'm not trying to get the phone to vibrate and ring at the same time. In the "normal" mode, my phone would ring and not vibrate. Now, the screen shows I have an incoming call, but the phone does not ring. I never had this problem before and did not change any of the settings. It literally just happened overnight.
    And to answer the other question, no, I am not answering it before. The screen lights up and will go to VM if I do not pick up...but no ring.
    02-03-08 12:21 PM
    The only other thing I can think of is if you have your ringers on your media card and your device is connected to your computer, when the phone rings.

Other than that have to tried rebooting your phone.
    02-03-08 12:34 PM
    Another thought for you: Did you happen to accidentally push and hold # and put it into "vibrate"?

If that doesn't help, please do a battery pull!

Sorry if this is a dummy response...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-08 07:39 PM
    I did the battery pull and no luck.
    So how do I do a "reboot" and will it erase my current information??
    02-04-08 05:48 AM
    Pulling the battery is a reboot - does not erase any info.

So you've verified all settings for "Phone" in active Profile are correct?
    02-04-08 06:34 AM
    thanks for the replies, i fixed the problem though. just in case anybody else has the problem, here you go:

I figured since I did not change any settings, it must be something with the sound...may be I blew a speaker or something. So I went into the media player to see if i could play any other ringtones or anything and I got something to the effect of: "media player system busy" or something like that, and could not play any other sounds. So I did another battery pull and this time it worked and the phone works fine now.

So i'm thinking there was something the caused a "freeze" of the phones ability to process sound.
    02-04-08 04:35 PM
    This happens to me constantly. My phone worked all day today. I look at the phone and I have two missed calls. I go to the media player and their is no sound. I take the battery out and it is fine. This should not be a constant thing.
    12-15-09 05:49 PM
    You should keep your memory clean by clearing the browser cache every once in a while, closing programs thru the menu (BB button), and a battery pull when necessary.

I've never had this problem.
    12-16-09 01:35 PM
    omg mine does this like every 2 days and i have to take the battery out. i went to the sprint store and thats all they said to do. its getting really old though, i shouldnt have to keep doing it.
    01-20-10 04:57 PM
    Mine just did this today. I am so glad that I found this thread, I was panicking! I did the battery pull and it works now. Thanks, all!
    01-22-10 08:11 PM
    I'm having the same problem with my phone as well, ringtone doesn't work and neither does my text message alert, and when I try to play my music, it says 'its trying to play an unsupported format'... Other then that I will reboot my phone and everything will work fine for about twenty minutes then everything stops ringing once again... Any suggestions?

01-27-10 04:10 AM
    Shaun, are you using an 8130 with OS 8130/4.5.0.175? If so, that is a common issue, losing ringtones and alerts in that particular OS. You either deal with that, make some code changes within the OS, or downgrade/upgrade to a different OS.

01-27-10 05:25 AM
    Ya I do have a 8130 and I have that current software as well and I just upgraded my phone to it last week and ever since the volume hardly ever works! How do you downgrade or change the codes? Thanks for the help man! It is greatly appreciated

Last edited by ShaunSnow; 01-28-10 at 04:06 AM.
    01-28-10 04:04 AM
    I have an 8120 that i'm using for a short period while my iPhone is away.

I too have no alert tones at all. When i try to play music or voice notes the phone reboots.

I'm gonna go search the forum....
    02-18-10 04:12 AM
    Happened to me first time a few weeks ago and now it seems to happen periodically, like just now!
    Waiting for the 10+ minute reboot. Tour 9630
    02-24-10 01:01 PM
    this has been a problem i have been trying to solve for a relative of mine and i came across someone with the same problem over on blackberrys forums. i am gonna get her to check into this as its something she does and if it fixes it.

it has to do with brickbreaker. its worth checking into.

8130 No Audio Alarm Ring Music Problem - Brick Bre... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    03-29-10 02:59 PM
    I spent many hours of frustration, and I think I figured it out.

My Bold 9000 only seems to ring when it is in "headset mode". If it is not in headset mode, the screen shows a call coming in but it will not make any sound. If it is in vibrate mode it will vibrate. This problem seems to also cause the alarm clock to stop making an audible sound, which defeats the purpose of an alarm clock.

Until RIM fixes this major bug, this is a work around:

1. Plug in your wired headset.
    2. Play a song.
    3. Unplug the headset while the song is still playing.

This worked for me. It continued to ring until the next time I had to do a battery pull. As long as I remember to do this after it reboots, I am fine.

I hope this helps.
    07-31-10 08:31 PM
    Really? Just keep pulling the battery?
    I have a 9000 Bold - not a newer phone - and I found it hard to believe that when I searched for this problem on blackberry.com "0 matches to your question" is all they have to say. I don't have a choice on what blackberry I carry because it is issued by my company.

I'm sure this didn't really fix it but I entered United States to the country code and turned on TTY and the ringer started working. I joined this site because Crackberry addicts know everything and I am sure one of you will break the code soon and we will survive!! I'll keep pulling the battery if it goes out again and checking this forum for the real answer! Thanks for being there crackberryheads!
    Last edited by workcontrolsit; 10-30-10 at 02:54 PM.
    10-30-10 02:16 PM
    Today I had the same problem as some of you.
    My BB bold 9000 stop ringing -> the alarm didn't ring and I had an university exam today. Luckly my Labrador Retriever woke me up just in time

Just now I could fix it.
    I tryed reboot by pulling off the battery=no work
    Put backup files on BB = no work
    Go to media player, play some song = it works!

Now I'm happy because everything's fine but every week I have an issue with my BB

thanks all for this forum, here in Portugal we don't find any help about blackberrys.
    02-08-11 08:36 AM
    my 8120 randomly mutes some incoming calls even when i have it on the loud/normal profile. i only noticed this bc my phone was on the desk next to me. then i tried a test call right after that muted call and the sound worked fine. weird.
    02-10-11 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD