My neighbor has a pearl and wants to send sms text, problem is when he starts typing he gets several words showing up under each letter, it is some kind of auto text feature would be my guess, he also doesn't have a clue as to which letter will come up when he presses a key because they each have two letters. I can't help him because I have an 8310 and am a fairly new user myself. I tried comparing sms text menus and his settings didn't seem to be different than mine. I am just grateful I stumbled into this site while looking for his answer, wish I would have known about it when I bought my phone.

Thanks for considering my question,
    jp
    12-11-08 06:26 PM
    It's called SureType and once you get used to it, it's very fast and efficient. I have found the trick is to ignore the screen. Go in memo pad and just type random sentences. Let it do its thing. It's right 95% of the time and learns as it goes. You can hit menu and switch to multi-tap, but if thats the style you prefer, this may not be the device for them. It's worth the learning curve though in my opinion.
    12-11-08 06:39 PM
    Pltaylor is correct. I hated suretype when I first got my pearl but now I love it. It is so quick and easy to use but it does take some time to get used to. Tell your friend to give it a shot and tell them to come check out crackberry themselves.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 06:53 PM
    If he reads his owner's manual, it will tell you that the easiest way to get used to the SureType is to just start typing words. If you ignore it, most of the time, the word he is searching for will come up, very few get mixed up (there, three do however), and the predictive text is unlike any other on earth. It actually works very accurately. The tips book also shows shortcuts to write contractions and keep grammar good without having to use the symbols.
    12-11-08 10:10 PM
    SureType is the whole reason I got a pearl. But my wife can't use it she even hated T9 and perdicive text on her old phones. Tell your friend to enter a text field press menu..scroll down to enable multitap and enter it will stay like that until they change it back to SureType.

12-12-08 05:57 AM
    If the person using the Pearl doesn't want to use SureType, while composing a message have them press the Menu button (left of trackball) and scroll down to Enable Multi-Tap.

SureType is smart enough that it adjusts to how a person types. I personally like it. Takes the hassle away from having to press a button multiple times just to get one letter. Its just a personal preference.

12-12-08 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD