I've followed the optimization steps in these forums,
    I've got no pictures/movies/music and very few programs on my bb yet the available memory hovers around 14xxxxxx - 15xxxxxx and I'm having to constantly delete old messages & browser logs and check the memory, to avoid another "automatic delete everything and reset settings" episode. And I can rule out ever installing any fun new programs or anything.

I've never had a smartphone that I've had to worry about the memory before :-(

Just let this be a warning to any potential bb / pearl buyers out there!
    11-06-08 11:58 PM
    I hear ya, that is much more memory than I usually run. Right now I am 5881946, thats it. When I first installed 4.5 I was all excited being around 13-14, and now I am back to below 10...very annoying, thinking about calling VZW because every post I read people have much more memory. I have 3 apps thats it.
    11-07-08 12:08 AM
    I recall someone posting that their Pearl hangs at around 17-19. Mine currently hangs at 12-14. Would love any advice on increasing that. I, too, have followed memory freeing posts but dont understand why I cant have more file free. Any help for us would be much appreciated!
    11-07-08 12:13 AM
    I'm somewhat glad it's not just me, why does RIM ship these phones with such pitiful memory? my nokia E61i has 50MB worth of stuff on it and still has another 200MB to spare!
    11-07-08 12:35 AM
    I've got 4.5 on my pearl and google maps and 4 third party games and a couple third party themes install and I just checked my file free and I've got 26 megs. I never "worry about memory" and I rarely battery pull. I'm wondering how thourough were your memory optimization steps, cause all I got rid of were the preinstalled media and the language and a few other useless things. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm a pearl user and I don't have memory issues, and just because you do, doesn't mean it lacks memory. Then again, more memory is always welcome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 02:02 AM
    Sorry if that sounded flamey I wasn't trying to sound so hostile lol.

11-07-08 02:05 AM
    I haven't even removed all the preinstalled media, and I still run between 17 and 19 megs, and rarely do pulls. I have googlemaps a third party game, and beejive installed too.

That being said, yeah- there's still too little memory on this thing, if you have to do a battery pull every so often IMO.

11-07-08 06:13 AM
    You guy's aren't doing something right. I have 20mb on a 8120 with all these;

CB Launcher
    Docs 2 Go
    ESPN Launcher
    Fox News Mobile
    Live Search
    Password Keeper
    Save number As
    Soft Reset
    Viigo
    Vlingo
    Weather Eye
    Texas Holdem King 2
    Paradise Golf Pro.
    Google Maps
    Brick Breaker

If you use Google maps or any other 3rd party GPS/maps delete BB maps. Delete PTT(push to talk) if your don't have that service. Delete VAD (voice activated dialing) if you don't use it or use vlingo. Delete all languages you don't use. TTY for the deaf. And of coarse all preloaded media. Another thing, hold alt, and press L G L G. Hit menu, clear log. Menu again options, set log level to debug info. Hit menu again and select Hide all types. Clear your call logs once in a while. To do so go into messages and hit alt+P, at the top hit menu and select delete prior.

And lastly, get in the habit of properly closing you apps. Once you done with an app, hit menu scroll down and select close. Otherwise the app will continue to run in the background.
    Last edited by pltaylor; 11-07-08 at 06:38 AM.
    11-07-08 06:36 AM
    The device itself unfortunatly doesn't come with great internal memory. You're going to need a memory card, for sure. I have a 2gb in mine and I'm glad I do!
    11-07-08 08:47 AM
    I usually have between 14 and 18 mb free. I do a batter ypull every week or so but there is no major problem with the memory on my pearl. I have quite a few third party apps installed also. More memory would be great but I can live with what I have.
    11-07-08 08:55 AM
    The device itself unfortunatly doesn't come with great internal memory. You're going to need a memory card, for sure. I have a 2gb in mine and I'm glad I do!
    I have a 4gig card, but that still doesn't help much if you have a lot of apps. The memory card only helps store media. The pearl just doesn't have much device memory.

11-07-08 08:58 AM
    Stop with the battery pulls all ready. Use soft reset.
    Attachment 5650
    11-07-08 09:42 AM
    PlTaylor, I am running about the same as you with a dozen 3rd party apps...

11-07-08 09:58 AM
    The 8120 helps you not be a msg pack rat. Wish the damn thing wouldn't restart itself so much.

11-07-08 10:06 AM
    Stop with the battery pulls all ready. Use soft reset.
    Attachment 5650
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is that zip file link you attached in your message?...a file that creates a method to do a soft reset on a Pearl? Just curious... don't want to be downloading any massive viruses or anything.
    11-07-08 11:43 AM
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is that zip file link you attached in your message?...a file that creates a method to do a soft reset on a Pearl? Just curious... don't want to be downloading any massive viruses or anything.

Yes it's a small app that puts an icon on your home screen and reboots the pearl with out a battery pull. Like the Alt+Shift+delete on the curve. It's safe and clean. As you see by my post count I'm well known here and wouldn't put up any thing malicious. Down load, unzip and install with DM app loader.
    Last edited by pltaylor; 11-07-08 at 01:09 PM.
    11-07-08 11:52 AM
    Yes it's a small app that puts an icon on your home screen and reboots the pearl with out a battery pull. Like the Alt+Shift+delete on the curve. It's safe and clean. As you see by my post count I'm well known here and wouldn't put up any thing malicious. Down load, unzip and install with DM app loader.
    Thanks!
    11-07-08 12:57 PM
    I just uped to a 8GB mem card I have alot of mp3s
    11-07-08 02:06 PM
    I have a fair few apps installed and I hover around 22mb file free even with a lot of apps running.
    11-07-08 04:56 PM
    almost 28 here, wish I had an answer as to why the op's is so low
    11-07-08 05:16 PM
    I have around 12000000 free. I just have facebook, opera mini, and vlingo on mine. I just deleted all the preloaded crap that comes with it like AIM and Yahoo Messenger.
    11-07-08 07:21 PM
    I finally found device memort stats mine has 8736020 bytes free is that good?
    11-07-08 08:17 PM
    About 14-16 free here with 6 apps ( including kb hungry google maps and gmail app)..

From the posts here, it looks like 8120 owner have more free mem than 8130 ones... why that ?
    11-07-08 09:31 PM
    I have an 8130 with 27 3rd party apps. (I'm a news junkie). My memory level fluctuates so often I never know what my "free" memory is but I have not lost my call logs or emails since upgrading to 4.5. I probably reset twice a week but no battery pulls.

11-08-08 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD