Hello!

I am currently using a Storm 9530 on the Telus network in Canada, and thus far I must say that I'm enjoying the phone a great deal. (I've used many WM touchscreen phones as well as a BB 8330 prior to the Storm, and after an OS upgrade and installing some 3rd party software, the Storm is an amazingly productive user friendly device). I do find myself not needing the size and large screen of the Storm, and missing the slightly smaller form factor of the Curve as well as its many speedy shortcuts. Since I do most typing on the Storm in the 20 key reduced qwerty mode, I have decided to switch to an even smaller 8130 or 8230 - all of the functions that I use on the Storm, smaller form factor, more shortcuts.

This leads me to my question: other than form factor, is there any appreciable difference between the Pearl and Pearl flip? The 8130 Pearl seems a tried and true device with excellent build quality and form factor. The Pearl Flip does feel a little cheaper in the build, and of course having a moving part/hinge makes it not as durable. It does however have a larger screen and keyboard. As well, the external screen gives the option of quickly scanning messages without openning the phone.

Any pros and cons from experienced users? Are the OS's any different? Does the media player work the same on both? Is the build quality really an issue? What questions am I perhaps not asking that I should be?

Thanks in advance for anyone who is able to share their knowledge with me!

daisyboots34
    05-30-09 09:17 PM
    The flip has more memory, it's a matter of preference but I still like the regular pearl better. I was on a long call with the flip and it wasn't comfortable but I noticed the the keys are wider on the flip.
    05-30-09 09:43 PM
    I considered waiting for the flip to enter the world of BB, but after comparing their dimensions, I chose the 8130. My priorities fall in this order: phone/sms, pda, email, media, web. With web and media at the bottom of the list, small form factor wins over larger screen. The 8130 and 8230 (closed) are roughly the same size, but the 8230 is over 7" opened (huuuge).

The most appealing thing to me about the flip is 2x the memory. You could add more apps before performance begins to suffer. You can't go app-crazy with the 8130, or you'll be sweating over "file free" on a daily basis.

You mentioned shortcuts on the Curve. I assume you're talking about the option to uncheck "dial from home screen" so that you can use the keyboard to find/launch apps. I was disappointed to learn the Pearl does not have this option. To make up for this, you'd want to add a 3rd party app. I use and highly recommend ShortcutMe. It's lightning fast, and the best one for avoiding the trackball. Judging by the "essential app" lists in CB forums, QuickLaunch is the popular choice. I tried IntelliBerry, but it didn't play nicely with SureType.
    06-04-09 01:02 PM
    flip the keys are wider and more memory... i like my 8130 wouldnt trade it for the pearl flip as the flip like someone above said is uncomfortable.,
    06-04-09 09:16 PM
    Once you get familiar with memory optimization, there is no need to worry with the 8130, I have fifteen 3rd party applications, a few themes, I generally hover around 15,xxx,xxx...
    06-04-09 09:21 PM
    Once you get familiar with memory optimization, there is no need to worry with the 8130, I have fifteen 3rd party applications, a few themes, I generally hover around 15,xxx,xxx...
    geeze someones got the system worked lol, i have games on mine which really kill the memory i dont mind though
    06-04-09 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD