I have a Pearl 8100 right now without a data plan. My school has wifi all over the campus so i am thinking of getting it from this guy for 200 bucks.
    But i am concerned that the wifi is crap and that it doesnt look good on the phone

i been looking all over the price for a place that shows the 8120 using wifi but there are none.
    What do you guys think of the 8120?
    10-14-08 09:24 PM
    Hi - I use the 8120 and am very happy with it. I connect to wifi at home, at work and at certain other places - very good call quality. The only caveat is that when I switch from wifi to cell my call gets cut off. Most likely that is because I upgraded my OS to one that Tmo usa has not released yet. Great Phone!
    10-14-08 10:11 PM
    It's a very basic web browser since you're not on the data plan. I use it only to read news and check email since I too do not use a data plan. But wifi reception has been good in my opinion.
    10-15-08 12:55 AM
    I have an 8100 with T-mobile and I was thinking of going to an 8120. Everything I've read on WiFi calling tells me that it only works with T-mobile Hot Spots. Can anyone confirm this?

Also,
    Does the WiFi support WPA/WPA2 security? My home WiFi network is pretty locked down so I don't want to get one if it will not work.
    10-15-08 12:53 PM
    I never had problems with the WiFi on my 8120. In fact, the signal is better than my brand new 8220!
    10-15-08 01:01 PM
    I have a Pearl 8100 right now without a data plan. My school has wifi all over the campus so i am thinking of getting it from this guy for 200 bucks.
    But i am concerned that the wifi is crap and that it doesnt look good on the phone

i been looking all over the price for a place that shows the 8120 using wifi but there are none.
    What do you guys think of the 8120?
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

If you upgrade to the 8120, you will be able to use the Browser only through the Wifi Connection.

Without a data plan, none of the messaging or email programs will work.

The Browser is adequate, but the tiny screen does limit is usability. The improved v4.5xx Browser is nice, but still no where near the other guys Browser on Wifi.
    10-15-08 02:59 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

If you upgrade to the 8120, you will be able to use the Browser only through the Wifi Connection.

Without a data plan, none of the messaging or email programs will work.

The Browser is adequate, but the tiny screen does limit is usability. The improved v4.5xx Browser is nice, but still no where near the other guys Browser on Wifi.
    I wouldn't exactly call the screen tiny lol. Its a good size.

The wifi is actually pretty fast if you have a good signal. I use Opera Mini which is much better than the default browser.
    10-15-08 05:53 PM
    I have an 8100 with T-mobile and I was thinking of going to an 8120. Everything I've read on WiFi calling tells me that it only works with T-mobile Hot Spots. Can anyone confirm this?

Also,
    Does the WiFi support WPA/WPA2 security? My home WiFi network is pretty locked down so I don't want to get one if it will not work.
    Anyone have any input on the above?
    10-30-08 02:18 PM
    It works with any wi-fi. Yes WPA/2 support. You know your access code for home so?
    10-30-08 02:23 PM
    I have an 8120 on TMo and the push email/web browser work fine without a data plan for me!
    10-30-08 07:04 PM
    Anyone have any input on the above?
    The wifi works on any wireless router. You just have to teach the phone which ones you want it jump onto. It wont just go onto any WiFi. You have to save specific signals and then the phone will remember them and automatically use them. I love mine. Works great. I get great reception in places other people get none(i.e. bars, restaurants, ect.)
    10-30-08 07:15 PM
    check with your carrer as i am billed for as i have no data contract and yes its my own wifi great downloads but in the UK we get Sha*ted for everthing !!!!!
    10-31-08 08:13 AM
    The 8120 rules like O'Doyle (Billy Madison fans only). The WiFi calling function will work on any wireless connection that doesn't have the necessary ports firewalled.

T-Mobile is the best. They are so innovative. I know that people complain about their coverage a lot, but what did those people do 8 years ago when none of them had good coverage with any provider? I don't think the mainstream user understands how important VOIP cell phones can be. Especially with regards to International roaming charges. At least from a business perspective, there is huge savings to be had.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-08 11:30 AM
    Only problem I have had is that sometimes it doesn't switch back to the normal cell phone signal and I have to shut off the wifi.
    11-02-08 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD