I understand what your talking about. not password protecting or locking out the entire device, just certain applications you dont want the whole world to see should they happen to use your BB "to make a call" . and next thing you know your explaining who sent you this picture, or who sent you all these text messages or they are rumaging thru your phone book. Its not always even a matter of infidelity it could just be the opposite, your "buddy" needs to make a call and next thinkg you know hes scrolling thru pictures YOUR girlfrined sent you that you didnt want just anyone to see. or some folk do store password and bank account, credit card, info on their BB that they wish to maintain their privacy
    Thanks.
    someone understands where im comming from.
    04-29-08 08:36 AM
    Theirs work arounds for it, such as moving your pictures out of the pictures folder, then just choosing the option of "explore" then browsing to the file manually also in 4.5 you can hide folders and specific files as well, but I have to sway on the side that their should be a better way, the encryption at this point fixes the issue of someone taking my memory card and viewing but without always having my keypad locked, anyone can view the contents...does it make me wanna give up my berry?...uhh no way. Its a minor issue that is workable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-08 08:43 AM
    Lawdy dawdy....
    There is an app for our berries called "filelock". It will lock a folder down so that the contents are not explorable on the blackberry. So even if someone clicks onygr file the berry won't open it. I have successfully protected my media files from people that wanted to "see" my berry. The first thing they did was start snooping in my media folder to see what pics and vids I had. But when they got in they couldn't see anything. I giggled....

Send me a PM if you need the app or have any questions.

Dm

04-29-08 09:52 AM
    Am I out of luck for the FileLock Program?

I have an 8120 and all I see for Blackberry is this:

BlackBerry: 6220, 6230, 6280, 6720, 7100, 7100i, 7130, 7130e, 7210, 7230, 7250, 7280, 7290, 7510, 7520, 7730, 8100, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8700, 8703e, 8707, 8800, 8820, 8830
    05-18-08 12:53 AM
    So does that mean that with the FileLock program you can only view whatever is locked down (pictures, videos, etc.) on a computer and you can't see them on the BlackBerry at all?
    05-18-08 11:01 AM
    how to hide folder with a 8110 i havent figured it out yet.
    i use the manually explore on my 8100 but the 8110 shows those folder in the explore menue as well!
    05-19-08 09:38 AM
    Am I out of luck for the FileLock Program?

I have an 8120 and all I see for Blackberry is this:

BlackBerry: 6220, 6230, 6280, 6720, 7100, 7100i, 7130, 7130e, 7210, 7230, 7250, 7280, 7290, 7510, 7520, 7730, 8100, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8700, 8703e, 8707, 8800, 8820, 8830

You are not out of luck.
    I have converted the FILELOCK .jar to a format that all berry users should be able to install via the Desktop Manager software.

The RAR file is located here.

FileLock.rar

Instructions

1. Download File.
    2. Un-RAR files (Filelock.cod and Filelock.alx)
    3. Plug in your blackberry to your computer
    4. Start Desktop Manager
    5. Click on Application Loader.
    6. Click the Add button (after it does it's search and verify thing...)
    7. Navigate to the files you decompressed out of the RAR file.
    8. Click on Next and install.
    9. After your berry restarts you should have the FileLock program available. Its icon looks like a little pink key with a beige or blue background. When you start the program, allow it to access the files. If you choose to deny, you will have to delete and reinstall the program. (It cannot hide and lock your files if you don't let it)

(I will copy this post in the 3rd party software area today.)

Dm
    06-03-08 08:42 AM
    So does that mean that with the FileLock program you can only view whatever is locked down (pictures, videos, etc.) on a computer and you can't see them on the BlackBerry at all?
    That is correct....partially. If someone stole your sd-card and put it on a computer, you would see the files as "mynakedbooty.jpg.lck"

The locked down files cannot be seen on the blackberry except thru the Filelock program, which you have to give a password to start up.
    So, even if someone knew that you had your files locked with the filelock program, they couldn't even start the filelock program without the password to it.

It rocks.

Dm
    Last edited by Detman101; 06-03-08 at 08:56 AM.
    06-03-08 08:53 AM
    Options > Security > General Settings > Enable Password.

So simple and secure.

However, I am sure you will say that is not what you want, but it is what you get... RIM did not build the BlackBerry for junior high use, but for higher corporate standards. While this would be a good option for some, it is not one today. And that does not make it less secure than your "Motorola is the best" device.

I'd beg RIM not to dumb down the BlackBerrys to the lowest common denominator user, but I do fear that is about to happen.
    being able to lock folders is not, as you say, "junior high use"......that would be good for corprate standards. you could lock the phone and then the enemy get is in and they need another password.
    08-18-09 12:38 PM
    I agree this seems like a great idea and the file lock program seems intriguing. Could definetly see the all around benefit for both corporate and personal usage! Because let's face it more and more people have BB's for personal use!

08-22-09 10:13 PM
    While I haven't tried this, it appears this link is for the Filelock program for Blackberrys. It says it will work for Pearls. Best of luck.
    08-24-09 03:11 PM
    Downloaded and installed. The application is good, it does hide images that are locked but you can browse the phone on your pc - copy images off and delete the .lck extension it puts after the original file name and image is restored. It is good to keep nosy people out of your photo directories on the phone just the same so it works for what people were asking for. (You have lock down each item within a folder, you can't just lock the folder and it's contents follow).
    11-13-09 09:15 AM
    this app is nonsense.. like said before; all it does is changing the filename so for exp. the media player wouldnt recognize it as a mediafile.

you dont need an extra app for this. just browse with your normal filebrowser to a file you like to hide and change the filename. like for exp. mynakedgirlfriendisfingeringherself.mpg to mynakedgirlfriendisfingeringherself.xyz . same thing.

both variants arent able to encrypt a file.

i heard something about "filevault". guess this is the only app for a bb who actually encrypts files and folders.

but a native version would be ******* awesome. integrated in the normal menu, like "protect file".
    03-14-10 09:27 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD