parents got a notification letter from verizon... saying that there has been a change on MY number signifying the 29.99 per month for email and internet, 10 for txts and 4.99 for insurance.

i might be able to wheedle my way into keeping it but the chances are slim. now that i think back about it though, the emails are now getting into the anoying part of me and i dont really use the internet that much. should i just drop it? will i really regret it?
    01-03-08 07:23 PM
    Depends on what you use the BB for. If you use Instant messaging, or surf the internet a lot, you will miss it. Also, the data plan is needed for apps that need access to the internet.
    01-03-08 07:27 PM
    parents got a notification letter from verizon... saying that there has been a change on MY number signifying the 29.99 per month for email and internet, 10 for txts and 4.99 for insurance.
    You sound as tho you're surprised!.. did you think you would never be billed??
    01-03-08 07:40 PM
    tis better to have loved and lost...

-db
    01-03-08 07:41 PM
    nah... but when i changed the plan from the 25$ one to the 29.99$ one, i did not known verizon would... drop the bomb on me :biggrin:

btw, w/o a data plan, i would not be able to send MMS messages?!?!?

that KILLS me... this is really the issue for me - plus im paying the 10$ extra txt and pix messages so it would be a double whammy
    01-03-08 07:51 PM
    Then you should at least change your plan to one with unlimited text. They aren't very much more than the regular plans.
    01-03-08 10:28 PM
    Just get a regular job to keep your plan

W/o the data plan you will be charged for every IM message you do as a text message.
    01-03-08 10:45 PM
    A job helps to resolve financial issues. My daughter(and her former boyfriend) increased our cell phone bill from $180.00 to $600.00 with texting and minute overages beyond my former family plan- including "free nights and weekkends". Needless to say I have my BB and now, an extra cell (hers) until she finds a job. But, appearing to bury the hatchet and as a good gesture, I offered her boyfriend some free MA self-defense lessons- free of charge. He declined.
    01-03-08 11:18 PM
    This made me laugh because I got my bill a couple of days ago and the Verizon rep who set up my phone decided not to listen (not really surprised) and after 3 times telling the lady the 29.99 dollar data plan is the one I wanted, she decided to give me the 45 dollar one or whatever so I was a wee bit surprised when I got the bill.

They did decide to give me a 15 dollar credit but that dosent take hold till next month, which is another story.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-08 12:48 AM
    ha... lol i do have a job and i can pay for the 30 per month... but it is a little steep for my uses... ive decided to cancel it

Heres my issue though

when i first got the phone, i did not have the option to send a MMS until i activated my email, browser, etc

WILL I LOSE MMS MESSAGING ABILITIES W/O A DATA PLAN?

as mentioned before, i already have unlimited txt and pic messaging

even with this plan, would i lose mms abilities?
    01-04-08 12:51 PM
    i dunno. verizon does strange stuff with all their phones especially the separation between blackberry, smartphone, and regular old phones with certain features/services/prices different. longest run on sentence there.
    01-04-08 12:58 PM
    Just get a regular job to keep your plan

W/o the data plan you will be charged for every IM message you do as a text message.
    Please stop leeching off mommy and daddy and get a job. There is no reason a kid needs a blackberry.

Just my $0.02.
    01-05-08 01:31 PM
    Please stop leeching off mommy and daddy and get a job. There is no reason a kid needs a blackberry.

Just my $0.02.
    my last post - i have a job. in fact, i have a sort of business... i am a mobile dj, working every weekend and with gigs all over the place. i bought he blackberry so when i was booked online, i would get a notification email on the go and sync it with my calendar so i would not overbook.

i sign many contracts and if i am booked twice on a day and sign a contract, i am the one who looses money and i assure a client that if it is my mistake, then their gig is free. This is why i bought the blackberry

as ive said before, i can easily pay for the dues but i am finding out that most of my bookings are in person and email aint that great anymore.

all i was looking for was an answer to my question weather i would still be able to send mms messages. this is my only concern and did not desire a lecture that i am too young to own a certain type of product. does the right to have a blackberry come with age? my 2 cents
    01-05-08 01:44 PM

Just my $0.02.
    Medic that is a ridiculous thing to say. Remember you are in the Pearl area of crackberry. The pearl is supposed to be a CONSUMER DEVICE.

It came with music and video playing capabilities to appeal to a wider audience other than the traditional corporate bb user. Never tell someone they don't deserve to have a blackberry.

Look what happen with ipods as they got more popular they became much, much better. When they made more revenue they put that money back in to making the device better and appeal to more needs.

The more people who buy bbs the better they will become. Don't tell someone they don't need a bb. Half the people who have bb's don't NEED them. Consumers devices have hardly ever been about need, it's about want!

MY 2 CENTS!
    01-05-08 07:57 PM
    Medic that is a ridiculous thing to say. Remember you are in the Pearl area of crackberry. The pearl is supposed to be a CONSUMER DEVICE.

It came with music and video playing capabilities to appeal to a wider audience other than the traditional corporate bb user. Never tell someone they don't deserve to have a blackberry.

Look what happen with ipods as they got more popular they became much, much better. When they made more revenue they put that money back in to making the device better and appeal to more needs.

The more people who buy bbs the better they will become. Don't tell someone they don't need a bb. Half the people who have bb's don't NEED them. Consumers devices have hardly ever been about need, it's about want!

MY 2 CENTS!

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!
    01-05-08 08:04 PM
    Yeah plus I mean my bill is probably $120 a month, PLUS the crappy EVDO PC card, which is 60 a month plus activation

So I pay $180 a month, and you don't hear me complaining. You sign up for this thing, and you have to stick with it.

Look at the people who have iPhones, they pay what, $400 for the phone, then 70 or more a month, and you have to realize a phone for 2 years does not cost 400 bucks, it costs like $2000 for a 2 year phone..

This kind of luxury costs money.
    If you just want a phone, get a prepay. If you want text messaging, get a cheap contract.
    If you want internet, push email, PMP, small form factor, fashion, etc whatever you call it, then you get a BlackBerry.

It's like an awesome elite club you belong to.. kinda... anyway seriously your phone is priceless if you rely on it..

Stick with the BlackBerry, it saves you so much time and money, in the end.
    01-05-08 09:24 PM

Just my $0.02.
    I gave my 13 year old my old Pearl....She loves it and it's easy for me to maintain for her. She doesn't have a data plan but she loves it for texting her friends.
    01-05-08 11:50 PM
    i still just want to know if mms messages still can be sent...

thats my biggest worry really
    01-05-08 11:58 PM
    To respond to the initial question, will you be able to send MMS and SMS messages without a data plan.

Verizon does strange things. As I understand it, BBs don't use the same types of SMS and MMS that say a Voyager does. The IMs, SMS and MMS you send come from your Txt/Pix msg bucket, but they are transmitted over DATA. Making some sort of data plan a must.
    01-06-08 12:24 AM
    my understanding is that you can send SMS and MMS without a data plan, those are just billed as text messages basically.
    01-06-08 12:39 AM
    i still just want to know if mms messages still can be sent...

thats my biggest worry really
    My understanding is just the opposite--that your BB must have the data plan to send the "data" part of the MMS.

Do this, in Options > Mobile Network, turn off Data Services.

Now try to send an MMS message. If it works it works.

Good luck with it.
    01-06-08 12:50 AM
    Also, the IM apps like Oz messenger that use sms for the IM's also require a data plan to connect, even though the messages are sms. TMobile gives you a feature enabler but if you don't get that or your carrier doesn't offer it then you need a data plan. it gets complicated....
    01-06-08 12:55 AM
    My understanding is the IMs and Text messages are billed as Txt/Pix msgs but require data (sent via EDGE or EVD0) to work.

TMo allows the clients but they hit you for a txt message forevery IM you send, even though it goes over the EDGE network.

You can use JiveTalk or IM+ type clients to send IMs without a text plan as long as you have data but I dunno if you can txt message without a data plan
    01-06-08 02:36 AM
    YES, you do need a data plan to send mms with Verizon even though they are billed as pix messages.
    01-06-08 10:43 AM
    Also, would VZW ding you for "canceling" your plan? When I bought my Pearl, they said the BB's had to be bought with a data plan. No other way. Just wondering if dropping the data portion would seemingly break a contract and subject you to a large fee. I wouldn't put that past VZW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-08 11:37 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD